• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trying Again

Was here some time ago, business took a dive so back burnered lathe purchase.
Trying again, scaling back a little from jumping right to a PM3250.
What would be a decent 110v electronic variable speed unit (rather than belt or reeves) for starting a little more economically ? Jet, Delta, Nova or ?
Midi, 1236, 1442 size ? I know a lot has to due with what will be turning but have to start somewhere with something that is not too limiting.
And just as important a sharpening system that will function on my 6" grinder.
Had taken a 1 on 1 class sometime ago and will try start going to AAW chapter meeting in 1/12.
Off topic, what happened to older posts ?
Thanks !

Last edited:
Jet 1642 EVS

Steve-welcome back!

I am very happy with my Jet 1642 EVS. I have the 1.5 HP/110 volt model and it has performed extremely well for many years. I don't turn full time but sure give it a workout when I can. It is a scaled down version of the PM 3520 with similar features. I can easily stall it if I get too aggressive but I just back off. Not the cheapest lathe but a lot of bang for the buck.

There are also some newer 1220 size lathes out there that I have heard good things about-specifically Delta and Jet. Bigger than a mini but not floor models.

Good luck with your choice and happy turning.

Shortly after an old friend gave me a 1 day beginner lesson on woodturning, the skids to perdition were greased big time by my family giving me a Jet 1014VS with a bed extension. I can't believe some of the stuff I've been able to do on this pen turner lathe while I save the money to get a big lathe. Recently I did an 8 1/2" X 3" elm bowl. That Delta has had really good reviews. (The Jet 1642 1.5hp mentioned above is at a killer sale price til the end of the day, at about $1800.)

Used lathes are another option and can be found through your local turning club newsletter or Craigslist. (It's the only problem with living in the boondocs--nobody listing used big lathes for hundreds of miles around)

Dive in.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Used lathes are another option and can be found through your local turning club newsletter or Craigslist. (It's the only problem with living in the boondocs--nobody listing used big lathes for hundreds of miles around)

Dive in.

If money was a major obstacle, going the "used" route would be the first place I'd look. Run some online searches for advertisements online trying to sell specific lathes......you'll be surprised what will come up! Don't forget that the AAW has a Want-Ads column right here......used lathes come and go on that one, too......:D

click:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

ooc

I love my Delta 460

The Delta 460 midi with extension is the closest thing to a "big" lathe you will find. One HP, Variable Speed, 12 1/2" swing, Reverse Switch ... Will I get a bigger lathe someday, yeah probably, but for now every time I flip the switch ... I smile.

Back