• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning a green baseball bat

Hi all,

I want to make a baseball bat from green wood. How can I keep it from splitting - or should I let it do it's own "thing" and go back and fill the cracks.

Thanks,

Newbie Midi

Not that it will be usable as a baseball bat this year, but if you split the wood out along the grain, heart out, and turn it, it will be only oval, not cracked. Let it dry in an oversize state indoors this winter, and you should be good to re-turn for spring training.

Or, in other words, let it crack and use the parts between the cracks. Not just for baseball bats, either.

I'd reserve filling for converting more bizarre defects into "features."

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's been my experience that if you leave wood 3" in diameter and it's green it will crack, unless drying is controlled very carefully. I cut up a lot of 3x3 blanks from green logs and seal the ends with wax. This usually works for most of the piece. I usually have to remove about an inch from the ends to avoid any checks that occur.

Website
www.mich-art.com
Green Baseball Bat?

Since you're turning it green, I'll assume you get to cut the wood from the tree and that it's a non-functional piece.

For these types of blanks, I use the quarter or just east/west of the quarter cut and take your blank at least a few inches from center, less warpage, more even grain. Odd or strong curves in grain will cause cracking. If you can wax the ends.

Try not to 'finish' the ends until last. Sanding heats :) and will cause cracks if you aren't careful. After the piece is finished, wax any areas that show end grain, the ends and base of the handle and put it in a cool, dark place (I've been known to bury pieces in the fresh sawdust/shavings bin) and rememebr the old rule of thumb, 1 year per 1" of thickness before it's dry.

It'll still still warp, but depending on the wood you use, it should prevent most cracks.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Above all else don't take it into the house until it's dry. I bought what the wood store sold me as a dry blank of Hackberry. It was 6" thick. I turned an oversize bat from it brought it into the house where I was going to carve on it. It started to check, very minor fortunately and I took it back out to the shop to sit for another 6 months. Apparently it wasn't dry enough.

Attachments

• john-with-bat.jpg
    john-with-bat.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50
And almost anyone but a woodturner would think a bat that size would be hard to crack . . . :rolleyes: :D

I'd love to see the look on people's faces :eek: the first time that bat comes out during a game--especially the opposing team!

Website
www.mich-art.com
Most awesome John! Varmit smasher haha or scare the kids out of the mellon patch. I make some small ones for bashing around the small foam balls we have around the office and put a 'Cloo-Bat(TM)' logo on them somewhat like a Louisville Slugger.

That thing takes the cake though :)

Back