• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning "dymondwood"

I want to try turning some "dymondwood" bottle stoppers. How does this material hold crisp detail/edges and how in general does it turn. Any tips.

Thanks and this forum is great!

dymondwood

I've used dymondwood to make pen and pencils and have been well pleased with the way it turns. And mostly with the finish you can get. I usually sand to 400 or 600 grit and then I just put auto buffing compound on it and buff it with a clean cloth, it looks great. It's fairly easy to turn and holds a crisp edge good. It can chip out easy sometimes but for the most part its OK.

Bobby

Website
www.timbertreasurestwo.com
Dymondwood turns fairly well and will hold a sharp crisp edge. However, I have found that it dulls the tools quickly and you will have to keep an eye on that--otherwise you won't get the crispness you want.

Dymondwood's precursor, Paccawood, was a better product, IMHO, because it wasn't quite so plastic looking and didn't seems to dull my tools as fast.

Joe

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Understand that dymondwood is layers of wood, veneer types, formed and glued together under heat and pressure with a resin type compound. It turns well on the proper bias, and the dust is fairly nasty. Wear a mask!
When I say bias, it will tear out easier on a diagonal grain, just like wood will, and less so on the long grain.
It will hold a clean edge and dull tools quickly.

Back