• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning on hold for nearly a week

Website
www.facebook.com
As the title turning has been put on hold for a week due to a little pile of wood being offered this little lot came from a site not even 100feet away so collecting it took minutes well the first two loads did as the third was delivered and moved into the back garden by the workmen.
In the pile is some Ash, Oak and Field Maple and there is still more to come.
Just over halfway through which seems to be a long time but delays through rain and having to take it easy due to heart and back problems.
So far from the first half have produced 48 pieces and some of those will give up 2 or 3 blanks i will cut them up further once the chainsaw has done it's job.
The last two photo's show what is inside some of them

DSCF8817.JPG DSCF8825.JPG DSCF8826.JPG DSCF8827.JPG DSCF8785.JPG

You definitely want to pace yourself, processing logs into bowl blanks and billets can take its
toll if you try to get too much done in a days time. Handling the big wet logs is a quick way to
throw your back out if you are not in shape. Getting logs in your truck or trailer can be a difficult
task depending on the size of the logs. A winch or loading ramp can help with this task. A wheel
barrow or 4-wheel cart can be useful in transferring the logs from your vehicle to your log processing
area. Moving the logs from the cart to an elevated cutting surface can reduce the stress on your back
if you set up a proper sawbuck to hold your logs and an elevated rack to hold your logs. If you do this
often enough you will soon figure out the easiest, quickest, most efficient way to process the logs. If you
don't master that part your body will quickly tell you to take up stamp collecting as a hobby. :)

Website
www.facebook.com
I have a sack truck to move heavy items. Luckily I only collected two loads and the third and bigger load the men brought around on their truck and moved it into the back garden. I had to get the logs onto the pile to cut to a manageable size to lift onto the sawhorse. Spreading the cutting out still have at least 3 or 4 days to finish them by which time there may be more.

You have quite a bit of nice looking timber there Derek...... Just don't over do it as Mike said. I had back surgery in 2007 and don't won't to go through that again.

Website
www.facebook.com
You have quite a bit of nice looking timber there Derek...... Just don't over do it as Mike said. I had back surgery in 2007 and don't won't to go through that again.
Taking it easy today was a slow start as had hospital appointment with the cardiologist. Then it was back onto the small pile still have plenty left to do but this last lot has brought the total up to 73 pieces and some of those will produce more than one blank which will be the next job once the store sheds are sorted out and a load of sticks cut to allow a good airflow around the blanks

Website
www.facebook.com
Managed some more today was hoping to get the last of it cut but still have a small pile of logs to cut. Anyway did manage to get to this stage and now have 100 pieces cut to a manageable size ready for final cutting into suitable blanks, Some of these pieces will produce two or three blanks. Not all of these are for bowls there are also some for hollow forms. Only time will tell on how many will not make it. The white paint is just a stop gap until I can start cutting them on the bandsaw.
I may even rough turn some and even turn the odd one to finish and let it do it's own thing with movement

DSCF8833 (800x600).jpg

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca

Thats a nice haul - congratulations! They will make great bowls.

And do pace yourself.
5 years ago I was given a hazelnut tree, 4 feet in diameter, the largest seen by the arborist. Right across the street.

Moving that messed up my back badly and I'm still paying for it.
The bowls were fantastic, but not worth the price.

Back