• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Smock

I'm trying to get my wife to make me a turning smock, but we can't seem to find a pattern for one. Does anyone have a design pattern for a turning smock or something similar?

Thx!

I got a windbreaker (I think that's what they're called) at Goodwill for a few bucks. It works reasonably well, but in Florida climate a more breathable fabric would be an improvement. A "turning smock" pattern would probably have limited success from Google. Try [windbreaker pattern] instead. Omit any pockets that are indicated.

Joe

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Hi jimbob91577,

Your wife wouldn't need a physical pattern, if she sews a bit. The picture of the smock right here on the AAW site, logo products, can be made very simply with or without the sleeves. It's not fitted so she just needs your circumference with moving room added. Or the smock in Craft Supplies catalog is very simple to make. She might only need a patter for a jacket or vest with a high neck, then just make it to fit you and extend the neck piece or make her own, that would only be a long strip of fabric, folded in half, sewn to the neck edge and velcro added.

Sorry if I'm over-simplifying, I was a seamstress for 20+ yrs. and she could do it just by measuring YOU. Smocks are not fitted garments and you don't really need the sleeves, unless you want them. :)

Ruth

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Hey, Joe, you and I shop at the same fine establishment! I get all my work clothes at Salvation Army.

Try a t-shirt, one or two sizes too big and put it on backwards. It's loose, thin and the neck band hugs your neck comfortably but tight enough so chips can't get in. This is what I do and it works great. I like it because I just wipe hands with glue or paint, etc. on it, I use the bottom to wipe the wood or even wipe the ways. It's like wearing a smock and rag all in one, get a couple at a time ($2 ea. Goodwill) and throw them away when you look too ratty.

Caveat: This is not for the fashion-conscious turner. :D

Ruth

t-shirts

Better yet, Ruth, I raid the bags of discarded cloths my kids give me before I take (along with my stuff) to the salvation army. I find lots of nice shirts-for rags too. Saves gas for shopping!!!! I also find some old xmas/bday gifts of clothing that still have the tags on them!!!!! :eek::confused::D Gretch

For hot weather, get yourself an Under Armor t shirt - long sleeve or short. I have one and it shed wood chips very well. Get the loose fitting heat version. Get it over sized some.

A number of years ago, I purchased one of the AAW smocks. Then I made a comment to a friend of mine who sews, that I would like a netting on the back side of the smock. She ran downtown and purchased the netting and then took the back off the smock and put in the netting. Best smock around. Good friend also.
Hugh

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Good idea Hugh. I have just a few complaints about my AAW smock. I'd like 2. One for winter wear with closer fitting full length sleeves. I'd like a summer smock with mesh back and short sleeves. I'd like a larger zipper. The small zipper gets stuck in the fabric too easily. Other than that I like the design. It could possibly use some covered pockets on the side for tools and such, the pencil pocket in the sleeve is a good idea.

R

Ron Sardo

In the winter, I wear a standard work shirt. It's oversized so I can button it all the way up.

In the summer, I wear a golf shirt and I wear it backwards.

What ever you wear, it shouldn't be open necked or have loose long sleeves that can catch. Sleeves can of course be cut off. Perhaps someone else knows who sells them. I have simple covers that go over my shoes with a velcro tab at the back to keep them on. Very funny looking but they work very well.

Malcolm Smith.

When I turn wet walnut wood - my turning smock is a pair of coveralls. I get a reaction from the wet walnut chips. I cover up as much as I can. And God Forbid if I get any chips in my shoes. I have gotten burns from the wet walnut chips. Looked and acted like I took a torch to the top of my foot. So the foot wear Malcolm does not sound so funny. :D
Hugh

Ruth mentioned that her style of smock was not for the fashion conscious turner. I have a friend who was tired of getting his shirts wet when slinging wet noodles while roughing out green bowls.

He went to the fabric store and bought plastic picnic table fabric, a couple of yards I think. He then cut a head hole in the center and much like the "man with no name" in the spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood fashioned a poncho that he belted around his waist. Now my friend is about the size of a picnic table and when you see him in his red and white checked turning smock it is enough to make you fall down laughing. But it works.....:p and it was cheap.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Mike, thanks for the mental image of your friend in the red and white checked tablecloth! "Cheap" is the keyword here, you can get glue or dye on it without worry, cut sleeves off, cut bottom length (a man's T goes to my knees!), after it's really too ratty to wear, toss it and go to the next t-shirt.

My son loves LLBean and Eddie Bower so I get some pretty fashionable, albeit well worn, shirts once he thinks they're no longer wearable.

Ruth

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Links to smock descriptions.....

Good idea Hugh. I have just a few complaints about my AAW smock. I'd like 2. One for winter wear with closer fitting full length sleeves. I'd like a summer smock with mesh back and short sleeves. I'd like a larger zipper. The small zipper gets stuck in the fabric too easily. Other than that I like the design. It could possibly use some covered pockets on the side for tools and such, the pencil pocket in the sleeve is a good idea.

John:

Have a look at the Turners smock sold by Lee Valley - I use this one during the winter when my basement shop is too cool or 'cold'.....Long, "non-flappy" sleeves with elastic cuffs.

See: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49899

I have three smocks: The Lee Valley smock just mentioned, the Craft Supplies Turner's smock (green version) that I use most of the time, including when I do public or club demonstrations:

[ http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...y_Supplies___Woodturners_Smock___smocks?Args= ]

......and the leather Turner's Apron sold by Woodcraft for when I do lots of roughing of blanks, especially with wet wood. The leather apron (and my face shield) protects me from "taking a shower" before I leave the lathe! Good to fend off sprayed liquid, large shavings, bark chips, etc. better than a cloth smock.

Go To: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20066

These have been acquired over a number of years, and all are Christmas gifts from family who are happy to buy something for me that they know I will use very often. I started with a "windbreaker" that others have mentioned, but the down-side is that they are VERY hot, and don't breathe....

I haven't tried the AAW smock - ....maybe I should "complete" my wardrobe and get one in Richmond?

Good luck with your decisions....

Rob

The Bayou Woodturners contacted the manufacturer of the smock sold by AAW and order smocks direct from them with BWT logos. The sell for less than $35.00 to our members and we cover our cost. If you are interested, contact Anna Jacobsen [ajacobsen@slsg.com] and make a deal. They are light, roomy and work great. I put mine on for everything in the shop. I've paid for it with shirts I've saved this year.

I bought a Packard smock but the smallest size was too big for a pencil-necked-geek. I took an old t-shirt and put my face through the neck so the rest of the shirt covered my head, neck and shoulders.

Put my respirator over that, glasses and face shield. Keeps chips from hitting my face, down the neck and else where. My wife, a runner, gets shirts by the dozen from races. I use them for rags and "smocks."

Don't see any reason to pay money for a smock as my t-shirt works better, is washable, disposable and non-heating. Plus, you can get it in any color or design. When you get bored with it, you have rags.

Burt

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
"I took an old t-shirt and put my face through the neck so the rest of the shirt covered my head, neck and shoulders. Put my respirator over that, glasses and face shield."

Oh Burt, do post a picture, please. NOT that I would laugh but your description did make me.......... well, ok, it did make me laugh. Bet you look cute though.

Ruth

The famous t-shirt-smock-monster. Normally, I use a much larger t-shirt but it was in the wash so I used what I had on. A tad tight for this use.

Attachments

• t-shirt-smock.jpg
    t-shirt-smock.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 75
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Website
www.carolevalentine.com
"My son loves LLBean and Eddie Bower so I get some pretty fashionable, albeit well worn, shirts once he thinks they're no longer wearable."

What constitutes no longer wearable? My favorite T-shirts are so worn you can practically see through them and most of them have frayed necks and holes across the shoulders. But then I am not exactly what you would call "fashion conscious" either! That trait seems to get stronger with every year of age! :eek:

What constitutes no longer wearable? My favorite T-shirts are so worn you can practically see through them and most of them have frayed necks and holes across the shoulders. But then I am not exactly what you would call "fashion conscious" either! That trait seems to get stronger with every year of age! :eek:

I've experienced the same fashion trend myself.

My definition of "no longer wearable" is when my arm or leg goes through the wrong hole twice in a row. That pretty well converts it to a shop rag. :D

Back