• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Tool Rack

My husband and I are new to turning but have already have an ever growing assortment of tools which are needing to be organized in a wall rack of some sort. I am not able to find many pictures of these out there and am hoping the members here will share their pictures of theirs.
Is there a reason why some place them handle side up and some handle side down in the racks or is it just personal preference?
Thanks,
Barbara

I've stored mine lathe chisels in a divided drawer for years and it's worked well for me. Only thought I have on hanging them (some up and some down) might be the tendency for some of the heavier ones to fall off the rack. I've not the proper space or seen a form of hanging method that works for me, so I'm still using drawers under my lathe. Nothing worse than having a nice sharp chisel try to bury itself into the concrete after falling off a wall rack.

Paul

hcbph said:
Nothing worse than having a nice sharp chisel try to bury itself into the concrete after falling off a wall rack.
Paul

.....Or your foot!...... :eek:

One of the first turning newsletters I ever received was from Wes Jones, who ran an article by a guy who had that happen. Had to have several stitches as I recall....

On a positive note, I've seen some made of PVC pipe that won't allow that to happen.

Barbara, I have a rack of PVC pipe on a movable stand. You can see pictures at www.fotki.com in the search box type in tolly and press enter. The page to come up select Tolly and press enter. You should now be in my section, scroll down to Woodturning Tools and Fixtures.
If I can be of further assistance send me an e-mail jimwtolly@ev1.net

I've been using magnetic tool holders/bars (Lee Valley Tools) You can get them in 12 inch and 24 inch lengths. They screw to the wall and are very strong. The larger the tool, the stronger they hold. The only troublesome tool is my bowl gouge, as the round stock offers minimal surface area for the magnet bar to hold. It holds well enough, but I solved the problem of it potentially sliding off by taking a large plastic cup that was kicking around the shop and screwing it to the wall directly underneath the handle of the gouge. The handle sits right inside the cup. That way it can't slip off. All the tools are right there, easy to identify, grab and replace.

Brian

Swing-Away

Barbara,

Attached is a pic of the rack on my old JET 1236. It pivoted on pins at the end of the bed so that it would be well clear of spinning objects (a stop prevented it from getting closer that 16" anyway) yet be in arm's reach, and the whole deal moved on the mobile base. Sold it along with the lathe.

Tools are now stored point-down to prevent getting sliced hands when reaching for a tool. DAMHIKT :D

Attachments

• Lathe-1b.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Barbara,
My wall rack is simply two 2x4's on edge, screwed together and to the wall, with 1-1/4" holes drilled about 2-1/2" deep. It's mounted high enough that there is no way I will grab the sharp end of the tool. My lathe is in a corner, and the rack is on the wall perpendicular to the lathe, next to the tailstock. It's out of the way, but very handy. If your tool handles are larger, may need to laminate some stock, use 4x4's, or whatever. Suggest making a half dozen extra places for tools you don't have yet. Mine was originally just one 2x4. Made some more tools and had to add the second row. Be sure to screw it to the studs, not just the wall board (you knew that).

My tool storage system is pretty simple (sorry, no pictures). It's simply a rack with two shelves about 2' apart and 3' long mounted on the wall behind me. The shelves are 5" wide and have a 1" lip screwed on front and back so the tools don't slide off. The upper ends of the tools are supported by what was once a 2x4, drilled with 1-1/2" diameter holes every 2-1/4" and then ripped down the middle to make handle sized notches for the various tools. The assembly is mounted to the wall immediately behind me when I'm at the lathe and holds, at the moment, anyway, 6 1/2" bowl gouges, 3 3/8" bowls gouges, 2 1/2" spindle gouges, 2 3/8" spindle gouges, a 1/4" detail gouge and a couple of Lyle Jamieson's boring bars (standard and heavy) on the top shelf. The bottom shelf holds the stuff I don't use much like skews and, I'm almost embarrassed to say I even own them, a few scrapers. There're also some gimmick tools that sounded like a good idea in the ad, but..... All the tools lean back at about as 20 degree angle and I've never had an instance of a tool falling out of the rack. In my ststem, if a tool is in the rack point up it is freshly sharpened, point down, needs sharpening. (Minor point: I don't sharpen after a job, but before beginning. I don't want a sharpened tool to sit around in ambient humidity and corrode even slightly and thus be less than perfectly sharp. And, yeah, I'm kind of anal about sharpening.)

To my mind, more important than the exact configuration of the tool rack (after all, all it needs to do is keep the tools reaonably organized and not drop them of the floor or feet (ouch!)) is it's location. It must be in easy reach but out of the way. Mine is no steps away from the lathe. All I need do to get a fresh tool is make a 3/4 turn.

By the same token, my grinder is a half turn and one step to the right and my air tools are are a half turn and one step to the left, sanding equipment and supplies are on a rack above the air tools. I don't want any reason to even think about not getting a fresh, sharp tool when it's time, or the right tool when it's time to change. And when do I sharpen? Any time I don't KNOW the tool is sharp.

I know. I know. Long winded, but you ought to hear me in person. Anyway, my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Whit

Last edited:
Website
www.woodturner.org
I store 2 or 3 gouges/tools on the end of the lathe bed, just laying there when I'm turning. My tool holder is a 3 gallon pail full of shavings. I just push the tools into the shavings. Seems to work fine! Doesn't look very fancy though.

Then I have a set of gouges/tools which get used once a month. They sit about 15 feet away on a shelf. But that works fine too since I rarely use them.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hello Barbara,

I have a wall mounted tool rack that I store my tools in. It is a very simple design that has worked well for me. The bottom is kicked back a few degrees to keep the tools in place by gravity.

http://www.bowlturner.com/Tools_copy.jpg

I also have a rolling shop cart that I use at the lathe. I place the tools that I am currently using on top of it. The drawer is used for storing all the misc. stuff that I need for turning. Chucks, drill bits, vac chucks etc. In the bottom is a open area that houses the coring system and my Dremel tools. I also have my dental light mounted on it. It has proven to be a great asset to my shop.

http://www.bowlturner.com/Dental_light.JPG

Best wishes,
Dave

Thanks For The Input

UPS just brought four new tools so I am heading out to the garage to begin creating a rack. I think I will go with the two shelf wall rack type since space is limited.
Thanks again,
Barbara

Great thread! I tossed around several ideas before I made a wall rack similar to Dave's above. I used to use a drawer but found it to be hard to grab the right tool, took to much time for me. Had a fancy idea in mind using PVC pipe on a lazy-susan type of thing on a stand, kind of like those artist's pencil racks for desks but much bigger. Gave up on that after trying to grab a tool in a friend's shop using the same idea, finally stopped bleeding but sure ruined the turning mood. Finally settled on a wall rack above the lathe, using semicircles on the top piece and dimples on the bottom piece. The bottom piece sticks out slighty so gravity keeps tools in place, with the points up. I have organized the tools by type and can grab the right tool without ever looking away from the lathe. Never had one fall on the floor (and mine is cushioned but that's another thread) or worry about reaching over the lathe. I'll post a picture later but I am in from the shop for the night, and sitting in bed with my trusty laptop.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
The tack I took was to construct a portable rack which sits on the floor at my feet. I have limited shop space and another stationary item was out of the question. The floor rack gives me elbow room too. It’s easily moved for cleanup as there is a handle which pivots up so it can be carried like a pail. The disadvantages are that you have to stoop slightly to get your tools and you can’t see the chisels because they are handle up. But I’ve organized mine in a specific order and I know most of my tools by their handle. I keep meaning to add some marks to the handles to help but I never seem to get around to it.

- Scott

Attachments

• ToolRack.jpg
    ToolRack.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 236
Back