Two Part Epoxy

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Dave Fritz, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Dave Fritz

Dave Fritz

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with System West Flex epoxy:

https://www.amazon.com/West-System-6...+full+flex+560

I see they have a package deal with syringes and mixing cups. Is the product that viscus you can use a syringe with it? How would you clean out the syringe or it a one time use product?

Thanks for any feedback. My current two part epoxy is pretty thick and doesn't flow very well at all. (Bob Smith 5 minute epoxy)

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I would say that it has a medium to low viscosity so it flows much better than some of the heavy high viscosity epoxy glues that you buy in squeeze tubes. Most syringes have a large enough opening that even the viscous stuff should flow through it. I have a large supply of syringes of various sizes so I use them once and don't mess with trying to clean them. I'm sure that their plastic syringes are compatible with acetone which I believe is the solvent that they recommend.

To change the subject slightly, I use glass syringes for Inlace (Reichhold Polylite 32153-00), because it seems to soften every type of plastic syringe that I have used so quickly that I can hardly load a syringe before it starts to gum up. Because of the toxicity of Inlace, I don't mess with trying to clean the glass syringes.

3. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    You can buy the syringes at the feed supply store

4. john lucas

john lucas

I havent used that type of West system epoxy but do use the regular. If you want a thin epoxy try system 3 mirror coat. It flows into the tiniest places once it starts to cure

5. Dave Fritz

Dave Fritz

Thank you so much, great information. John, have you ever tried to color or add texture to the system 3 mirror coat? I see Woodcraft has it which is nice.

6. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    I have some, but I have never used it before. It is crystal clear. If you want to add dye, I think that it would be important to find a dye that is compatible or else it might cloud the finish.

7. Steve Worcester

Steve Worcester Admin Emeritus

Home Page:
    West is really good about information. It is likely there is something on their website about this

8. john lucas

john lucas

I have not tried coloring system 3 but I'll bet alcohol based leather dye would work. Trans tint dyes would also probably work but again I haven't tried it. I have used those dyes quite successfully with several other brands of epoxy.

9. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Home Page:
    I use system 3 epoxy (not mirror) and use Transtint black dye to make it black for patching cracks. It don't take much, use a toothpick and add a couple drops. It doesn't seem to effect the strength.

10. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    I've used TransFast powdered dyes with epoxy. The nice thing is that it avoids the potential problem of introducing some ingredient into the mix that epoxy doesn't like. As Fred said, black (either the TransTint or TransFast) goes a very long way and not much is needed. It's easy to add a bit more dye ... not so easy to go the other way.