• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Unique new tool

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Cool!
Sort of an on the fly donought chuck.
I would certainly like to see one up close.

The video reverse of the HF with a ball is generally a poor practice.
The rims of typical HFs won’t take that stress.
Much better to have a support against the inside bottom of the form.
Or a bowl shape against the shoulder.

:) I must need one. :)

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
I wouldn't put my fingers inside that while the bowl is spinning.
what happens if that bearing locks up (sawdust jam?)
or you get off center and the sandpaper "catches" and pushes your hand around.
too risky for the "reward"

There are similar DYI solutions using wheels. Not sure if anyone made a product of it.

mw8j1me.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I wouldn't put my fingers inside that while the bowl is spinning.
what happens if that bearing locks up (sawdust jam?)
or you get off center and the sandpaper "catches" and pushes your hand around.
too risky for the "reward"

It does seem that way. Probably be more secure with a #3 MT
MTs don’t often slip but it only has to happen once to ruin your day.
I think I would give it a try if the opportunity presents itself staying on my side of the tool rest.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Very creative!......within a limited scope. I'm sure some turners will be using this tool.....and, concept.

As mentioned above there are some safety issues, and definitely limitations on what could, or should be done with it. :eek:

I am impressed, though! :D

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Great idea....

Looks like a small, inexpensive "lazy susan" bearing welded to a "U" shape. I think I would incorporate a safety arm resting on the lathe bed to prevent it from rotating in the unlikely event the Morse taper ever came loose. The welds look like MIG with poor quality likely due to contamination from plating on the bearing.

When I see clever ideas like this my first thought is liability. For a small company it's very unlikely product liability insurance could be obtained where the per unit insurance cost wouldn't exceed the tool's sale price. Kind of a sad fact that we live in such a litigious society.

The "Lazy Susan" bearing was my first concern on this tool, all it would take would be
a small solid piece of debris to enter the raceway and potentially lock up the bearing. A
sealed bearing or plastic guard surrounding the race would be warranted to prevent the
potential entry of foreign material into the bearing assembly. Interesting idea. I have a
polymer ball that has a tenon turned on one side that I use for centering pieces in an
adjustable chuck that works for jam chuck applications. Not enough contact surface on
a round ball to hold a lathe piece while turning as was shown in the video.

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
I think I would incorporate a safety arm resting on the lathe bed to prevent it from rotating in the unlikely event the Morse taper ever came loose.
That might make me more comfortable.

The "Lazy Susan" bearing was my first concern on this tool, all it would take would be
a small solid piece of debris to enter the raceway and potentially lock up the bearing.
My thought exactly

Hmm. It looks like an interesting idea, but it doesn't look 'heavy duty' enough for me. I want some thing I can't break..... I would have to see it in person and try it out...

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well this one is 5/8" thick at the shaft. It's tough. As far as a solution in search of a problem, not for beginners. I had to teach a couple of classes that were 4 hours long to raw beginners. I used Hunter tools. I didn't have to teach sharpening, or bevel rubbing, or edge angles. I just gave them the tool with few seconds to show how it was used, basically just stick it into the wood. Then we started on the project. I would do each step. They used nothing but a parting tools and the Hunter tool. Everyone in the class had a nice candleholder with beads and coves and hollowed out the end for the candle. Normally a fairly hard project for a brand new turner. In the class I used a variety of Hunter tools because I don't have enough of one style to give to everyone. We used the Hercules both big and small, the Osprey both big and small and the Clewes 1st and 2nd mate. The Hercules and Osprey have a small learning curve. The Viceroy (the new tool) is Mikes version of the Clewes tools and I like his better. If I had a choice I would use nothing but the Viceroy. It's longer than the Hercules and will reach into deeper vessels to hollow them out. It's pretty much fool proof in how to use it. Just takes some practice to get a really smooth long curve but not that hard. It's just a really nice tool.

06E6A7A5-2158-4FD5-8DFC-8D0725BC9276.jpeg Another tool of mine repurposed.
Shown below is a vase that is jamb chucked being held by the 1w bowl steady. Only one wheel was used and a flat was turned where the wheel makes contact at center line. The nub is exposed for turning.
Of course I made a prototype with a Morse taper, but this method is too simple. I rarely use my vacuum chuck anymore.

Last edited:
Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I guess I was a beta tester, I have one that I rarely use, but I do use it from time to time. The leather interface that was glued on fell off while the unit was not even in use. I'm assuming that that issue was resolved after my beta testing report.
It's fairly safe at low speeds, but anything of size will cause issues with the lazy Susan thing and the u shaped strap.
Another issue is centering. The first part of the video showed the 300 in use with the bowl in a chuck... Pretty much making the 300 unnecessary.
It's a FANTASTIC idea, I'm just not convinced that it is as versatile as it should be. People like me, pushing the limits could do damage with this thing as it is currently configured.

Website
www.facebook.com
It is nice to see new ideas, but with this just another thing that will end up in a draw gathering dust in my eyes. I would rather spend the money on useful items that will get used.
The amount of room to access the bottom is just too restrictive for me and as stated above it does need something to stabilise it from turning if by chance it does loosen in the morse taper even if it as simple as a draw bar to aid it.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Did you all notice that the vase he was trying to mount using the tennis ball (1:55-2:20) just disappears with no video showing it rotating with this tail center doohickey? Either that clip wasn’t something they really wanted to show or the entire top broke off when if flew off the lathe :eek: and they just remounted the bottom of it for the rest of the demo. ;)

There’s a little too much work shake in the demo for me to consider it an effective solution.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Did you all notice that the vase he was trying to mount using the tennis ball (1:55-2:20) just disappears with no video showing it rotating with this tail center doohickey? Either that clip wasn’t something they really wanted to show or the entire top broke off when if flew off the lathe :eek: and they just remounted the bottom of it for the rest of the demo. ;)

There’s a little too much work shake in the demo for me to consider it an effective solution.

I thought the tennis ball thing looked rather loosey-goosey. Also, I wouldn't trust those sloppy brazed or tack welded joints to hold together for very long. The ones at the bearing look like cold joints.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Cool!
Sort of an on the fly donought chuck.
I would certainly like to see one up close.

The video reverse of the HF with a ball is generally a poor practice.
The rims of typical HFs won’t take that stress.
Much better to have a support against the inside bottom of the form.
Or a bowl shape against the shoulder.

:) I must need one. :)

I can send you mine if you like. It spends it's life hanging on the wall. I'll even blow off the dust before shipping.

As someone who has spent 44 years as a safety professional in the insurance industry, that device is a Product Liability nightmare. The quality of the welds is suspect for a number of reasons, the "lazy susan" portion of his device appears to be very light duty and totally unshielded from particles or dust accumulation, there is a total lack of some type of appropriate safety device to stop the entire device from spinning if it were to come loose in the morse taper for any reason and breaking or severing fingers or catching a turning tool and flinging it at high velocity across the room. His video gives the impression that you can use his device in conjunction with a tennis ball to hold a hollow form. The video is very poorly done and without thought as to what he presents as the capability of his product.
I wouldn't touch this product with the proverbial 10' pole never mind providing liability insurance for it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
As someone who has spent 44 years as a safety professional in the insurance industry, that device is a Product Liability nightmare. The quality of the welds is suspect for a number of reasons, the "lazy susan" portion of his device appears to be very light duty and totally unshielded from particles or dust accumulation, there is a total lack of some type of appropriate safety device to stop the entire device from spinning if it were to come loose in the morse taper for any reason and breaking or severing fingers or catching a turning tool and flinging it at high velocity across the room. His video gives the impression that you can use his device in conjunction with a tennis ball to hold a hollow form. The video is very poorly done and without thought as to what he presents as the capability of his product.
I wouldn't touch this product with the proverbial 10' pole never mind providing liability insurance for it.

So, other than that you think it is great? :D :D :eek: :p :rolleyes: (Just kidding)

There is a guy named Jerry (I've forgotten his last name.) who sells a unit using skateboard type wheels to support the piece. It looks similar to the one in Fadi's pic.

Back