• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Urethane Oil

In the Spring 2004 issue of American Woodturner, Nick Cook mentions use of "urethane oil" to finish his pepper mills. Can someone tell me what urethane oil is? Is it a friction finish or does it need to be applied in some other manner?

Thanks,
Larry

Website
turnedoutfantastic.home.att.net
Hi, Larry.

I've used Woodcraft's urethane oil in the past. You wipe it on, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. It leaves a nice, satin sheen without drastically changing the color of the wood - at least, nowhere near as much as danish oil does. The biggest problem I have with it is if I let it sit too long before wiping off, it gets really sticky and I have to reapply it and rub like crazy to work through the stickiness. A few coats of the urethane oil gives a pretty durable finish. Best thing to do is give it a try. Hope that helps.

Pam

Larry,

He is probably talking about the urethane oil that he sells on his web site. I just bought some from him a few weeks ago at a demonstration he did, and if I remember correctly he said that it is a combination of several oils mixed together that he uses for his peppermills, but can't remember what exaclty was in it.

Stacey

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
signatureturner said:
In the Spring 2004 issue of American Woodturner, Nick Cook mentions use of "urethane oil" to finish his pepper mills. Can someone tell me what urethane oil is? Is it a friction finish or does it need to be applied in some other manner?

Thanks,
Larry

While I haven't torn the "Urethane Oil" that he sells, apart yet to see what is actually in there, I suspect he's just talking about an oil-based polyurethane. I don't know if he (or more likely has someone else) makes this himself or is just re-branding another companies product either.

I'm going to wildly guess that the product might just be a thinned varnish like Waterlox, Mark VI, Formby's Tung Oil, etc. That doesn't mean it couldn't be called a "Urethane" because the varnish base could be a polyurethane resin ... which has a urethane backbone in it. But, as I said, this is all a guess without tearing it apart chemically. Maybe it's just some mixture of a polyurethane or varnish with added oils to it. Unless the product actually gives the FULL LIST of ingredients (and we all know that wood finishes always correctly give you the truth.... ha!), you just don't know until you do some analysis on it.

An actual "Urethane" product can be anything from a water-based polyurethane finish to the foam in your pillow or the spandex on some aerobics instructors' rear-end.:eek: "Urethane" is like saying I use a "Car". You have no idea why kind, size, type, or model of car I use but you do know that it's not a "Truck". There are all kinds of "Urethane" finishes ... from acrylic-urethanes to water-based to oil-based and on up through modified forms of oil-based ones that include the polyurethane glues.

It's not a shellac-based friction polish like the Mylands High-build or the Hut Crystal Coat (among many others) nor is it a lacquer-based friction polish. So, my guess at this point is just an oil-based polyurethane. Wipe it on ... wait a few minutes but not long enough to let it get gummy ... wipe off what's not been soaked in. Repeat as desired to get the level of film build and gloss you want.

The urethane oil is a combination as suggested. It is the formula that Rude developed and is a wonderfully quick finish that accentuates the natural colors of the wood. Downside is smell. WOW, and it lasts for a spell.
I would tell you what is in it, but then I would have to kill you.

Back