• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Used Lathes

Website
www.Primitiques.com
Excuse my ignorance, but where on this site can you find others selling used lathes. Does anyone reading this want to sell me a used lathe. I'd love to have 1.5 hp, and turn bowls over 17inches. Does anyone know of another site (not craigslist/ebay) that sells lathes fairly priced? Thanks, Bill (novice..never turned anything)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Excuse my ignorance, but where on this site can you find others selling used lathes. Does anyone reading this want to sell me a used lathe. I'd love to have 1.5 hp, and turn bowls over 17inches. Does anyone know of another site (not craigslist/ebay) that sells lathes fairly priced? Thanks, Bill (novice..never turned anything)

Scroll down to the bottom this page and on the lower right you will see a drop-down menu under the heading of Forum Jump. Click on the menu to open it and select "Want-ads". The click on the Go button. That's all there is to it.

Once you are there, you can use the Search feature (on the orange bar near the top of the page just to the right of middle).

I see that you already found it. As a practical matter of convenience and usefulness, since you are looking for a lathe to turn bowls that are "at least 20 inches" as an everyday use of the lathe, you should ask for a lathe with a swing of 24 inches or greater. As far as I know, all of the lathes with a swing of 20 inches and up will have at least a 2 HP motor. Most of the good big lathes hold their prices quite well if they are in well maintained condition so there will not be any "steals" on the market.

Last edited:
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Criag's List is your friend

Locally I've seen a (claimed) unused PM 4424 (a 24 inch bowl lathe) for $4000 and a Oneway 2436 (dito) for $5000.

But I've also seen old PM-90's go fairly cheap

There is usually a dozen ShopSmith's on there at any one time, plus everything from cheap tube lathes for under a $100 on up to Nova's for $1000

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you need a lathe for $400 that will do large bowls you will probably have to build it yourself. It's very difficult to find decent lathes that will turn any size for anywhere near that price. Used heavy duty metal lathes with 3 phase motors can be found but you'll end up spending more than $400 to get it shipped and another $400 to get it converted to single phase.
Ed Moulthroup built a lathe using pillow blocks, a spindle, motor, and the housing of an old table saw. I have friend who built one after seeing Ed's and he just used 8x8 timber for the frame of the lathe. Even building your own as a really good scrounger I'll bet your over the $400 limit. You might set your price a little higher.

Another way to go...

As several others have already pointed out, $400.00 probably isn't going to get you what you are looking for unless you happen to stumble across the deal of the century.

Have you considered looking for a community college in your area that might have a woodworking program that includes woodturning? If there were one, $400 might be about the cost of a semester's tuition and would probably get you access to some lathes big enough to do what you want, plus the other tools you will need and some instruction. I got my start in woodturning at Red Rocks Community College here in Lakewood CO, and the combination of access to big lathes + instruction was a great bargain for the money!

Back