• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using a steady rest for finials and small pieces

I just purchased a steady rest for turning small items like finials. The rest will go down to 1/4 inch diameter. Here's how I am thinking to approach this: use a dowel or wood turned to a small diameter, put it in the headstock and the steady rest. Turn the piece as desired with a part of the original diameter in the steady rest. Use a parting tool to remove the piece in the steady rest. Am I on the right track? How would you experienced turners recommend to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
How long and how small are they. I turned a lot of small dowel pieces by simply sliding a little bit at a time out through my chuck. The long part of the dowel was still in the headstock behind the chuck.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Similar to John's method I used to turn lots of birdhouse ornament perches. A 1/4" square length of dogwood or holly inside the spindle with and inch sticking out of the #1 jaws. Turn 3 perches then pull the wood out another inch. Perches had a 1/16" tenon, a small bead, the a 1/16" perch about 1/4" long.

I also do 7-8" long finials for Christmas ornament. These have a 3/4" tenon in the #1 jaws.
I turn the free end to size an 1/8" diameter and less finish about an inch with a skew sand with 320 and 400 put on some finish.
Turn the next 2-3 inches, sand and finish,
The turn the rest sand and finish.
They get thicker near the top about 1/2" thick where I turn a thin cove where it comes from the ball.
The cove it do with a gouge and must sand it with 220, 320, 400
These just hang out there with no support needed. I do put a finger opposite where I cut with the skew.

Al

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I haven't turned many finials, but I start at the tip and leave as much supporting wood as I can while working back towards the base. I have not encountered a need for a steady rest yet. My thought on the matter is that sharp tools and light pressure will take care of any flexing. When a finial is long and thin enough, it can start to whip all on its own. When you reach that point, wrapping the fingers of your left hand around the spindle/finial while taking very light cuts is usually adequate ... at least it is in my limited experience.

Length will probably be not more than 4-6 inches long. This is something new for me. Got tons of wood and keep hearing the question, "When are you going to make something with all that wood?"

Back