• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using Live Video in Woodturning Projects

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
At the Gizmos and Gadgets session of the 2015 AAW symposium, I presented this new video.

It is a brief overview into various methods of using live video in woodturning projects. Detailed videos will follow.

I hope you find the techniques useful in your own projects, and look forward to seeing how you apply them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kYF3fgwhBs

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
James, when viewing my YouTube video, click on the account name (Zentient1), and public facing videos should be listed.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Agreed, turning spheres should be much easier using a graphic overlay.
It's similar to an approach that uses a point light source above the workpiece that casts a shadow down onto a piece of paper on the lathe bed that has a drawn circle on it.
You keep shaping it until the shadow matches the drawing.

That said... at the symposium Lauren and I ordered a Vermec sphere jig.
I'm in it for the toys... err, tools!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi Alan.....

That's a very interesting video. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a video of yours before that is using an electronic image to determine wall thickness. I do have one question for you......is it adaptable to gouge use? The reason I ask, is because as a gouge progress through an interior curve, the point at which the cutting takes place varies as the gouge turns on it's axis, while negotiating that curve......

Always enjoy your input.....

ko

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Oldie,

I don't think I know the video you are referencing, I don't think it's one of mine.

However I am very interested in exploring the relationship of the cutting tool to the wood, particularly in relation to the target profile.

This would be of great use, for example, when turning the outside of a bowl, or a spindle profile... by turners with limited vision.

Soon I will start a thread in the woodturners with disabilities forum to explore any options.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Oldie,

I don't think I know the video you are referencing, I don't think it's one of mine.

However I am very interested in exploring the relationship of the cutting tool to the wood, particularly in relation to the target profile.

This would be of great use, for example, when turning the outside of a bowl, or a spindle profile... by turners with limited vision.

Soon I will start a thread in the woodturners with disabilities forum to explore any options.

Oh, sorry Alan.....perhaps I've mistaken you for someone else.

Would like to see how this concept applies to a gouge.......

ko

Odie, I believe it's Trent Bosch you are thinking of. He came out with a rig like that.

Alan, thanks for the videos. Im curious why you chose the Vermec jig vs. the Carter one (or others?) not that I'm looking just like to hear about other toys...err, tools. :)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Trent Bosch has a product that uses a video display. Very cool. I looked for it at the symposium but didn't see it.

Rather interesting. I would have to get my eight year old grandson to help me with all that electronic stuff. He's showing me how to get apps on my cellphone.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Trent Bosch has a product that uses a video display. Very cool. I looked for it at the symposium but didn't see it.

It is easy to miss things at the trade show.
I'm still wondering where a few people were. Trent was just around the corner from Rubber Chuckie
Between Steve Worcester and Curt Theobald.

I'll be using Trent'ts visualizer in at least one demo at the FWS if you can wait that long.

the Bosch visualizer is a giant leap forward from the laser pointer.
I've been using the laser pointer in hollowing for about 18 years.
The laser pointer only shows the distance from one point on the cutter.
The Bosch system shows all sides of the cutter so it does not have to be reset 3 times as I hollow around a curve.

I'll be using some of Steve's Abranet too! Abranet sands wet wood quite well and lasts a long long time.

Al

Last edited:
Back