• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using the micro McNaughton blades

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
If you have the micro blades, and the older standard gates (all pre Mk-8 I believe), you will note that the blades are too narrow to safely use with these gates. While the main tool post of the Micro gate is too short to use a Micro gate on a standard size lathe.
I noticed that the standard gate's small tool posts are 5/8' dia, just the right size for 5/8 ID clear (flex) tubing. Using a short piece of this tubing gives me one opening in the gate that is the right width for the micro blades.
This allows me to use the smallest of the Micro blades, which have a smaller radius then any of the Mini or Standard blades.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've thought about modifying my gate with one bar that has an off center tenon and a way to screw it down so you could adjust the gate. I have several cutters, some home made and the metal isn't the same thickness. If I do get around to it I might also make bushing for the gate pins so the cutter more or less rolls through the gate. This would allow me to make the gate a snug fit using the eccentric adjustment. Might be a project for this summer.

Back