• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

VacuuMaster Adapter

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
This is a bit exotic, but in my case possibly the only solution for me to use a vacuum chuck
And not cheap.

I have an old lathe, with no through hole.
Nor can I get the spindle drilled out. The thrust bearing is at the far end.

Has anyone tried this product?

0500.jpg
0500_top.jpg

http://sierramold.com/index.php/woodturning-tools/vacuumaster-vaccum-chuck-assembly/
It looks like a Oneway style chuck adapter (and they have my size!)

Thanks

Olaf - there’s also a rotating union made by Vicmark that can be setup either on the spindle or held in a four-jaw chuck. Don’t know how it would compare price wise, but it does work well from what I’ve heard...look at vacuum chucks on their website.
A quick check on woodworkers emporium site - thevicmark option looks to be substantially less expensive...

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Definitely expensive from the looks of it. I have seen them work but never used one. That being said there are a million ways to turn the bottom without needing a vacuum chuck. Now granted I have a vacuum chuck and love it but after I moved I didn't have access to it for about 6 months and still turned everything I usually turn. I just used one of the other methods of holding the work. Here is a link to an article I wrote a long time ago but it's still valid.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/7bf500f3fd5...EC0DC707F1FE36FCB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Also there are a ton of excellent articles and links on our club website. Look them up. http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/tips--links-and-projects.html

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca

Hi John,

Yeah its about $400 - a lot more than I'd prefer to spend.
I've tried:
- Longworth chuck. Good, but only for very light cuts. and of course it needs to be a smooth bowl
- Big Adjustable jaws - I have the Oneway version, pretty good. Its totally replaced the Longworth, but with slightly better holding power and the same restrictions.

(I do a lot of odd shaped pieces that do not have flat tops)

- Jam chuck. That's my go to. My main issue here is odd shaped & Unbalanced pieces, many are large.

But you raise a good point. Maybe just keep trying to be creative about the mounting solutions.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
do a lot of odd shaped pieces that do not have flat tops)

A simple mod to a doughnut chuck is to add a stand-off of PVC pipe with foam.
This accommodates Natural Edge bowls nicely

I prefer to jamb chuck my bowls over a a resessed wood mounted in a chuck.
With a dense foam pad.
I have a vacuum system but for me the jamb chuck is simple quick and I don’t have risk of cracking a bowl from too much vacuum.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Olaf - woodworker’s emporium is in Nevada - better shipping rates than directly from vicmark, and good support from what I’ve heard.

Thanks - will check.
Unfortunately, getting stuff over the US / CA border can be really expensive.
The problem is customs and how couriers handle that. It can be good or absolutely outrageous.

Normally, I can get items shipped cheaper from China, than from the US.
Haven't tried NZ yet. :)

So much for free trade......

Back