• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

variable speed on vicmarc vl100?

I'm thinking of upgrading the dying 1/2 hp motor on my vicmarc vl100. The vicmarc has been a pleasure to use and far more capable than the crummy 1/2hp motor I have on it.

Looking around for a new motor (and realizing I hate the changing of pulleys / belts), I've been leaning toward introducing a variable speed (3/4hp dc motor and controller) solution into the mix. With a bit of ebay luck, I can see making this happen (just barely) for the price I can spend right now.

Has anyone switched out your motor to variable speed solution? It seems to be a bit more of a hassle to set up. Did you find it worthwhile?

I'm pretty much limited to 120VAC in (and thinking of a 90VDC motor). But are there specific RPM / amperage / make / models that work best in a lathe?

thanks in advance for your help,

--e

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I don't know how much help this will be since my Vicmarc is an older machine, but I put a variable speed DC motor on it from the beginning, which was 1996. Back then they came as a bare bones machine and you had to buy whatever motor you wanted separately.

The belt that came with the lathe was long enough that I could build a box for the lathe to sit on, and I fastened the motor to the side of the box using a sliding dovetail plate. I started out with the time honored hinge and gravity, but it created so much vibration it was unbelievable. Fastening the motor to the box smoothed everything out dramatically. Making the mount so it could move made it easy to slide the motor up and down to change speed ranges. It has seen some pretty heavy use over the past 14 years, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've done both. I highly recommend it. I drooled over the Vicmarc when I learned of it's existance but ended up buying the Nova Comet instead. I haven't coverted that lathe to variable speed yet but I will.
I added DC to my old J-line lathe and then did the same thing to my Nova 3000. Then I converted the 3000 to an AC variable frequency drive. The VFD is the way to go but you need to know some electronics or at least someone who does. It's a little intimidating to wire up and program. DC on the other hand is very easy. I haven't price the difference lately. DC was cheaper at first but when I converted to AC VFD it was actuall cheaper because 3 phase motors were so cheap.

I don't know how much help this will be since my Vicmarc is an older machine, but I put a variable speed DC motor on it from the beginning, which was 1996. Back then they came as a bare bones machine and you had to buy whatever motor you wanted separately.

Yeah... mine is from 1997. The bare bones, solid building block is exactly what works for me.

The belt that came with the lathe was long enough that I could build a box for the lathe to sit on, and I fastened the motor to the side of the box using a sliding dovetail plate. I started out with the time honored hinge and gravity, but it created so much vibration it was unbelievable. Fastening the motor to the box smoothed everything out dramatically. Making the mount so it could move made it easy to slide the motor up and down to change speed ranges. It has seen some pretty heavy use over the past 14 years, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the encouragement ;) I'm leaning toward the following specifics...

Leeson 3/4 dc motor : 90VDC, RPM - 1750, AMPS - 7.6
Dart DC controller 250G : HP 1/8 to 2, Output DC 90/180, Input AC 120/240

I have this lathe fastened to a dedicate (heavy) table. I've been thinking of hanging the motor below the lathe with a sliding mounting system similar to what I think your describing. Sounds like a plan ;)

I'm afraid I may need a slightly longer belt however to pull this off. Any idea how to remove the pulley and replace a belt on this lathe?

--e

I've done both. I highly recommend it. I drooled over the Vicmarc when I learned of it's existance but ended up buying the Nova Comet instead. I haven't coverted that lathe to variable speed yet but I will.
I added DC to my old J-line lathe and then did the same thing to my Nova 3000. Then I converted the 3000 to an AC variable frequency drive. The VFD is the way to go but you need to know some electronics or at least someone who does. It's a little intimidating to wire up and program. DC on the other hand is very easy. I haven't price the difference lately. DC was cheaper at first but when I converted to AC VFD it was actuall cheaper because 3 phase motors were so cheap.

I ruled out VFD simply due to costs. You make a good point regarding the crazy cheap costs on a 3 phase motor, but even the lowest cost $250+ controllers I've seen put this beyond my current price point.

Now.... If I ever get my VL300, VFD motor control seems like a solid match ;)

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

--e

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I'm afraid I may need a slightly longer belt however to pull this off. Any idea how to remove the pulley and replace a belt on this lathe?

I do not know what all is involved, beyond removing the spindle, and, I suspect, several bad words during the process. My strategy has been to buy a new lathe before the belt wears out, or in the case of my Poolewood, I went beltless! :p

I do not know what all is involved, beyond removing the spindle, and, I suspect, several bad words during the process.

Sounds like I'm well on my way then to accomplish this task ;)

My strategy has been to buy a new lathe before the belt wears out, or in the case of my Poolewood, I went beltless! :p

Go big or stay home, eh? :) The Pollewood is on my short list of drool-generating lathes.

Thanks again for your help,

--e

I do not know what all is involved, beyond removing the spindle, and, I suspect, several bad words during the process.

Ok, I'm liking vicmarc as a company more and more. The following manual

- http://www.vicmarc.com/downloads/Lathe Manual Feb01 A4.pdf

has a very nice, illustrative, step-by-step example of how to change the pulley / belt on the vl100.

I suspect several bad words will still be involved in the process, but the online manual should help keep this to a minimum ;)

--e

variable speed for Vicmark

Has anyone contacted Penn State Ind. ? They have advertised 1/2 hp. variable speed for around $ 100.00, They did not say if that included the controller. I also have the Vicmark 100 and would like to have the ease of changing speeds with a knob.;)

Might be worth a phone call !!!

Clint5699

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've heard bad things about the Penn. State controller from a couple of people. It probably works but apparently isn't in the same league with the higher priced units.

Has anyone contacted Penn State Ind. ? They have advertised 1/2 hp. variable speed for around $ 100.00, They did not say if that included the controller. I also have the Vicmark 100 and would like to have the ease of changing speeds with a knob.;)

Might be worth a phone call !!!

Clint5699

The Penn State option is what started me down the path of thinking about a variable speed option for my lathe. For a bit more money, and some hunting, I was surprised at the various variable speed options that now seems possible for around the 150$ price point (both VFD and DC).

The VFD route is a pretty attractive one (thanks John for the pointer), but in the end I went with DC as the set-up seems a bit easier. While it's too earlier to tell, I think I've managed to put together what I hope might be a good solution. I'll report back either way.

--e

I am a bit new here and i apologize for chiming in so late in this conversation but I have a vl100 that i converted to variable speed twice. Once to DC and once to a VFD, both worked well but the VFD is by far the better option and not as expensive as you might think.

I went with a hitachi L100 inverter ($199 from dirveswarehouse.com) and a 1hp baldor motor mine cost $100 but you can get them for like $30.

i guess the best advice I can give is be patient and watch eBay. My dc drive was a baldor BC-140FBR I got off eBay for $25 new and a Leeson 3/4hp permanent magnet I got for $90 on eBay.

you can see both my installations here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thugpipe/sets/72157622886008447/

i went a little crazy with my install but i am like that.

one question, is your machine one that came with a cabinet and motor or was it a bench mount version?

Penn State kit is good

I converted a Fische mini lathe with this kit. It is powerful enough to turn a eight inch bowl in dry Southern red maple with a 1/2" bowl gouge. If hogged, it slowed down a little but not excessive. I was able to use original motor pulley which yielded five speed ranges. I was happy for a hundred dollars.

variable speed for Vicmarc

Questions for Peter C

It appears that you are quite a machinist as well, I like the index pin set-up, neat ! Where did you get what you are calling a 'CL' base, and is it a Vicmarc item ? I am also very illiterate with electrical terminology, what does VFD stand for and I see you have a 3 phase motor ???? :confused:

Thanks for the great pic's of your lathe.

Clint

I am a bit new here and i apologize for chiming in so late in this conversation but I have a vl100 that i converted to variable speed twice. Once to DC and once to a VFD, both worked well but the VFD is by far the better option and not as expensive as you might think.

I went with a hitachi L100 inverter ($199 from dirveswarehouse.com) and a 1hp baldor motor mine cost $100 but you can get them for like $30.

i guess the best advice I can give is be patient and watch eBay. My dc drive was a baldor BC-140FBR I got off eBay for $25 new and a Leeson 3/4hp permanent magnet I got for $90 on eBay.

I think you fared a bit better than I did, but I second your suggestion regarding eBay and patience. A Leeson 3/4hp and Dart 250G controller arrived yesterday and are waiting for installation.

you can see both my installations here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thugpipe/sets/72157622886008447/

i went a little crazy with my install but i am like that.

Thanks for chiming in. I found your pictures early on when I was starting my investigation. You're design was part of my inspiration for adding variable speed to my vimarc. Nice to put a name to your handy work. Very impressive ;) I'm equally taken with your modified indexing pin. The stock one is downright horrible :(

one question, is your machine one that came with a cabinet and motor or was it a bench mount version?

Its a 1997 bench mount version. I built a dedicated table, weighted down with sand for a previous lathe I owned. My plans are to fabricate a mounting bracket for the motor to hang under the table and connect everything up with a longer belt.

Pictures shortly.

--e

Its a 1997 bench mount version. I built a dedicated table, weighted down with sand for a previous lathe I owned. My plans are to fabricate a mounting bracket for the motor to hang under the table and connect everything up with a longer belt.

Pictures shortly.

Not quite done, but getting closer....

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

The Leeson 3/4HP 90VDC motor is mounted on 3/4"+ Brazilian cherry (hardest wood I have in shop at this time). The mounting plate allows 1" travel to release / tighten belt if needed. The Dart 250G DC controller allows for speed control. I'm not convinced I have the setting entirely right for this, as there seems to be a slight, but noticeable delay as one adjusts the knob.

The vicmarc is resting on the bench at the moment mocking me while I wait on a longer, replacement belt. I hope to fire this up soonish and determine if the effort is worth it.

--eric

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
... I am also very illiterate with electrical terminology, what does VFD stand for and I see you have a 3 phase motor ???? :confused:...

Clint

VFD is Variable Frequency Drive. In this application it allows you to use single phase power , 120 or 240 depending on VFD, and convert it to three phase so you can hook up a 3 phase motor, vary the frequency and get infinitely adjustable speed without (theoretically) hurting the motor. I say theoretically because you can jack with the settings and change cycles and all kinds of variables that may harm the motor.

erimille, I'm glad to see that somebody is benefiting from my pictures, I put them up because I was so frustrated when I was trying to find pictures and info about the VL100 back when I was purchasing/modifying mine.

to answer your question I bought the base parts from Vicmarc directly, they are from one of the 2 versions of the lathe that vicmarc offered with a motor. the CL version was mainly available overseas but I really liked the face mount motor. the two legs and the motor pulley cost me about $300 shipped which is kinda steep but I love this lathe and I had been using the lathe already for about a year and a half before adding them. sadly they phased out the CL base version.

thanks for noticing the indexing pin, my only complaint about the VL100, that was the first thing I fixed back in 2007 when I got the lathe. funny enough vicmarc has changed to a very similar system on the newest vl100s but now they are no longer imported to the usa mainly because they have gotten so expensive($1000 :eek: ).

BTW i like your mount for the motor it looks neat and tiddy, and I must nod to the face mount motor setup. you should think about replacing the locking bolt with a quick adjust handle so if you ever do want to change the belt position you can easily. just because you can get to the ideal speed more easily doesn't always mean you get the ideal amount of torque always...trust me

erimille, I'm glad to see that somebody is benefiting from my pictures, I put them up because I was so frustrated when I was trying to find pictures and info about the VL100 back when I was purchasing/modifying mine.

Considering the quality of your work, I suspect for every one of us that say "thanks" there are at least 10 who think it, but don't ;)

to answer your question I bought the base parts from Vicmarc directly, they are from one of the 2 versions of the lathe that vicmarc offered with a motor. the CL version was mainly available overseas but I really liked the face mount motor. the two legs and the motor pulley cost me about $300 shipped which is kinda steep but I love this lathe and I had been using the lathe already for about a year and a half before adding them. sadly they phased out the CL base version.

Considering the new (comparable to what you've done) vl100's are going for 2000+ AU I think you may have come out just fine ;)

thanks for noticing the indexing pin, my only complaint about the VL100, that was the first thing I fixed back in 2007 when I got the lathe. funny enough vicmarc has changed to a very similar system on the newest vl100s but now they are no longer imported to the usa mainly because they have gotten so expensive($1000 :eek: ).

Interesting.... I've contacted them to see if the new pins work with the older lathes and if these are available to purchase. I'll report back any findings.

BTW i like your mount for the motor it looks neat and tiddy, and I must nod to the face mount motor setup. you should think about replacing the locking bolt with a quick adjust handle so if you ever do want to change the belt position you can easily. just because you can get to the ideal speed more easily doesn't always mean you get the ideal amount of torque always...trust me

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the handle, I like the way you think ;) I included the pull-knob on the mount in anticipation for a handle. A quick release handle and a longer belt to connect the motor and lathe together should be arriving shortly.

--e

from what I have observed in the pictures I found of it I suspect that as is the case with my index pin modification the new pin requires a threaded hole in the headstock. if you buy the one they make i suppose you could do what I did and drill out and thread the hole in the headstock but I can see how that might make you uncomfortable I was not 100% sure when I did it. On the other hand if you screw up there is really no loss seeing as how the stock pin is basically useless.

from what I have observed in the pictures I found of it I suspect that as is the case with my index pin modification the new pin requires a threaded hole in the headstock. if you buy the one they make i suppose you could do what I did and drill out and thread the hole in the headstock but I can see how that might make you uncomfortable I was not 100% sure when I did it. On the other hand if you screw up there is really no loss seeing as how the stock pin is basically useless.

Your assessment seems spot on. The folks from Vicmarc got back to me within a day (this company is *very* responsive / impressive on the customer service). The pin is available for about 25$ shipped... the indexing pin hole needs to be drill and tap to M10x1.

might be my next project.... ;)

--e

finished (?) product

The handle (mini ratchet) and longer belt (Poly-v 390J3 from beltsforanything.com) arrived over the weekend. I just finished putting this all back together.

The motor faceplate assembly and controller,

- http://potlach.org/2010/06/vicmarc/photo7.jpg
- http://potlach.org/2010/06/vicmarc/photo8.jpg

the lathe,

- http://potlach.org/2010/06/vicmarc/photo5.jpg
- http://potlach.org/2010/06/vicmarc/photo6.jpg

and the balancing penny trick

-
photo4.jpg

at high speed.

I still expect the controller will need some adjustments to better match the specifics of this motor. Overall, I'm very pleased so far. Looking forward to getting back to making a mess ;)

Thanks all for your help,

--e

Last edited:
and the balancing penny trick

gotta love those tapered roller bearings! :cool2:

it always seems funny when you see a full size chuck on a lathe that small, but don't let anyone convince you to get rid of it to spare your "tiny bearings":rolleyes: those roller bearings are as big/tough as the ones in the wheels on a car!:D

btw looks great!

Peter Cirincione said:
gotta love those tapered roller bearings! :cool2:

it always seems funny when you see a full size chuck on a lathe that small, but don't let anyone convince you to get rid of it to spare your "tiny bearings":rolleyes: those roller bearings are as big/tough as the ones in the wheels on a car!

You bet! It's those bearings that got me hooked on the vicmarc to begin with. Well, that and the chuck ;)

btw looks great!

Thanks. And thanks you again for all your feedback and excellent, insightful pictures. Again, much appreciated!

I haven't decided on the index pin upgrade yet. I think I'll spin for a while first. Taking this back apart so soon after re-assembly seems like a bad idea ;)

--e

I haven't decided on the index pin upgrade yet. I think I'll spin for a while first. Taking this back apart so soon after re-assembly seems like a bad idea ;)

Just a quick follow-up on this thread... after a couple of weeks of turning, i can safely say the variable speed option on the vicmarc is a huge improvement. It's *so* much nicer of an experience. Turning is easier, faster and far more safer.

I may consider the VFD option in the future (perhaps with a bigger vicmarc), but for the vl100, I'm very satisfied with the DC motor and variable speed controller.

For those considering this upgrade, I'll echo Peter's suggestion regarding eBay and patience. Out of pocket expense in the end was approx 140$, but the value I'm getting from this is more than worth it.

thanks again for everyone's help. happy turning ;)

--e

Just a quick follow-up on this thread... after a couple of weeks of turning, i can safely say the variable speed option on the vicmarc is a huge improvement. It's *so* much nicer of an experience. Turning is easier, faster and far more safer.

I may consider the VFD option in the future (perhaps with a bigger vicmarc), but for the vl100, I'm very satisfied with the DC motor and variable speed controller.

For those considering this upgrade, I'll echo Peter's suggestion regarding eBay and patience. Out of pocket expense in the end was approx 140$, but the value I'm getting from this is more than worth it.

thanks again for everyone's help. happy turning ;)

--e

I know this topic is 6 years old... but I just got a new VL100 / used from 1996 and would love to do the Variable speed. What are the specs for your DC motor? and what is the variable speed controller brand?

Thanks

Adam

A friend of mine upgraded and old Rockwell to 1hp variable speed using a old treadmill motor and it's controller. That was three or four years ago and it is still working great. You might find more on this via Google search. Good luck!

Back