• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vibration in PM 4224b

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
A friend asked me about his PM and a vibration problem he is having, I figured here would be the best chance for me to get advice that may help him. This is what he sent to me:
I have 4224b 2013 -20" length vibrates and spiral cuts on the tailstock half of the 20"- leveled up, lined up ran good yesterday- today vibrates when cutting-I've turned for years - never had this before - followed PM's directions now they want me to loosen and reset pulleys in headstock, any ideas that might help please let me know

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
A friend asked me about his PM and a vibration problem he is having, I figured here would be the best chance for me to get advice that may help him. This is what he sent to me:
I have 4224b 2013 -20" length vibrates and spiral cuts on the tailstock half of the 20"- leveled up, lined up ran good yesterday- today vibrates when cutting-I've turned for years - never had this before - followed PM's directions now they want me to loosen and reset pulleys in headstock, any ideas that might help please let me know
Ok, so, one day vibrates then the next day it doesn't? That pretty much summons up woodturning, lol Never heard of something like this happening. It either vibrates all the time or it doesn't... Looking forward to someone with more experience with PM to tell us something... Aloha

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I once had a problem with sanding dust entering the area where the belt and pulleys are, and becoming built up and lodged on the grooves of the pulley and belt.....might be something to look into. This was with a multi-groove belt. The fix was to take a brass brush and clean out the grooves on the pulleys, and turn the belt inside out and do the same with the grooves there. Put back together, and run as normal again.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

That's hardly any information to go on. I would want a lot more information ... Things like:
  • Does it vibrate when nothing is mounted including no chuck or spur drive?
  • What speed range does it vibrate?
  • If it vibrates when wood is mounted, how is it being held? Is the turning face grain or spindle?
  • Have you witnessed the problem? Somethings a fresh set of eyes helps.
  • If he is turning green spindle wood, it can warp.
  • Maybe the headstock isn't locked down solidly. Maybe the tailstock is creeping. Either of those conditions can cause the wood to shift if being held between centers.
  • Maybe the wood has a hidden flaw.
Those are just some random thoughts based on the sketchy amount of information provided.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
l
spiral cuts on the tailstock half of the 20"- leveled up, lined up ran good yesterday- today vibrates when cutting-I've turned for years - never had this before -

With this description i would suspect something in the
Wood, the mounting, banjo/toolrest, live center, tailstock, or technique.

Check the tailstock lock, banjo locks, lathe bed any gunk that may be letting the banjo move, check live center bearings. Check the headstock lock.

My predisposition is to focus on the wood, how is being turned, and how it is being held.

spiraling toward the tailstock can be caused by the wood may being too thin toward the headstock.
Some blanks might support the cuts toward the tailstock side others might not.
Tool much tailstock pressure may be flexing the blank.
Turning off the end of the tool rest has more vibration than over the center.

Turn the tails stock side of the turning first

The off and on may be due to individual,blanks of wood, inconsistency in tailstock pressure.

Be helpful to know what is being turned and how it held

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Thanks guys I am heading to a demo at a club Saturday and one of the turner's there asked if I might be able to help him with some advice. So I came here to check on the collective wisdom and experience that is away's available. Sorry if the info was marginal but that was what he gave me. Thanks again guys

Same as Odie for me. A while back I had a minor vibration in my Robust after 9 years of faithful use. While it was very minor, it was still noticeable. Tried different chucks, and it was still there. Was all set to give Bret a call but decided to look at the belt and pulleys first. Boy was it dirty in there. Cleaned everything up and my Beauty was back to the perfect functioning lathe it has always been. It was hard for me to believe that a dust build up on the belt and pulleys could cause this, but in my case this is exactly what had happened. While I use both Oneway and Vicmark chucks, if you have Oneway you also might want to check your inserts, as after many years of use with mine, I found that the screws were not tight anymore and needed to be retightened.

Back