• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc 120

I recently got a Vicmarc 120 chuck and a Hold Fast washer came with the chuck in the package. Is it advisable to use it? I've read a washer can cause some wobble.

Thanks,

Dave F.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If your talking about one of the fiber washers, you don't need it. I went through a spell where i used them because my chuck would lock up on the spindle and be hard to remove. I started wiping down the face of the spindle with a light oil and it stopped. I haven't used the washer in years. Any oil I put on I wipe off so there is an extremely thin layer. Put the chuck on until it's snug. Then take your chuck key and tighten it a little more. That's all that's needed and the chuck will come off quite easily.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Craft Supplies includes plastic washer when you buy a chuck from them. I don't use them because I want a solid metal to metal connection -- not some soft compliant piece of plastic. I've heard some turners say that the chuck gets stuck on the spindle unless they use a plastic or fiber washer, but I want a tight connection and I've never had any problem removing a chuck.

as with John, in place of the washer I use light coat silicon type oil/lubricant, never have any issues with either VM120 or VM150 coming off when I want it to

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don't use washers with chucks.

I used plastic washers for a while. There was a fad in the 90s to cut them from plastic milk jugs.
I stopped using them because I could not discern any benefit.

What I find most helpful with chucks is to tighten them on with a little bit of force.
Then that same little force in the opposite direction gets them off.

If you spin them on or let them tighten under power removal can be more difficult.

There are times washers are needed

I have three Powermatic 90's and the male spindle threads are longer than the female threaded insert on some adapters and chucks. This prevents them from seating against the spindle shoulder and I use washers to take up the slack. But my two VicMarc 120's don't have this problem and I don't use any washers with them. I have some plastic washers but don't use them with my chuck because I like to sand at slow speed in reverse and don't want the chuck to work free.

Back