1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Vicmarc VL 300

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Emiliano Achaval, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    There is a not too old Vicmark VL 300 for sale. Maybe 8 years old... New in Australia goes for $4818.18 US The shipping to Hawaii is cheaper from Australia than from US mainland. What do you guys think a used Vicmarc in fairly decent condition, not mint, can cost... Half of new?

2. odie

odie

Howdy Emiliano.....

Is it there in Hawaii?

If you can get it for half of new, I'd say that's a good deal.

The swing is pretty huge.....24", but it's a fixed headstock. If that's not a problem, then go for it! :D

For myself, I'll probably get a new lathe eventually, but I will rule out a fixed headstock.

-----odie-----

3. odie

odie

You know......on 2nd thought.......if a Vicmarc 300 became available locally, and could be had for around $2000.....I'd have a hard time resisting the temptation! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Personally, I have a hard time buying anything sight unseen no matter what the price might be. Some people don't know how to take care of their tools and I'm OCD about taking care of my tools. But, the best answer that I've heard about buying used stuff is that the right price is whatever the buyer and seller agree upon. Average resale price and other guidelines don't really mean anything when it comes down to one particular lathe and the people involved.

Remember that that the power in Oz is 230 volts @ 50 Hz. The inverter might possibly work fine with US 240 volts @ 60 Hz power, but I would want to verify that information before proceeding. You might possibly need to change some set up parameters in the inverter.

5. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    The lathe is here in Hawaii, Maui. It belong to a turner that didnt turn much. Then a new club member bought it. Sad to see she wants to downsize because she never used it yet... I have room in the shop, but only for a good deal. I passed last month on another great deal on a Powermatic, almost new and all tools ...

6. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    It's an interesting coincidence that a fellow club member called me this evening and was wanting my thoughts on a VL300 that he could get for a really great price, but I don't recall him mentioning the amount. The one "catch" is that it doesn't have a motor and inverter ... and probably not the controls either. By the time that he gets those items, he might not have such a great deal after all. The cost of motors have been going up like crazy for the past couple years. And, high qualify inverters arena cheap either.

Since you know the lathes history then that makes it a much more attractive deal. A used lathe doesn't have a warranty, but that's generally not a big deal for high-end lathes. Don't be concerned about too much swing ... I doubt that such an animal exists. I went from a Jet mini to a Robust with a 25½" swing with zero problems. Remember that you can turn a finial on a big lathe, but you can't turn a large platter on a mini lathe.

7. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    I would be buying the Vicmarc as a second lathe, for lessons and for when we have hands on with visiting turners like Guilio Marcolongo. I turned on a Vicmarc at Arrowmont, I did not like it more than my Stubby. It's an OK lathe, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I like it better than the Robust, that I also tried at Arrowmont.
    Wish we had a Kelly Blue Book of lathes lol. Lady paid too much for it, she thinks she can get as much...

Bill Boehme likes this.
  8. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

seems to me that a used lathe in Hawaii is a buyers market.....otherwize big boat anchor

9. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    I think a used vicmark would be a great 2nd or 1st lathe.
    Check it out.
    Most used lathes have a couple lifetimes of use left.
    1/2 new could be a little low. However it is a reasonable offer.

Bill Boehme and Emiliano Achaval like this.
  10. john lucas

john lucas

The VicMarc 300 is one of the best lathes I've ever demo'ed on. right up there with the other high quality lathes I think. It was extremely quiet and smooth and everything on it worked perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it had a decent price.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  11. odie

odie

Well, I don't know about that, Charlie. :rolleyes:

I'd speculate that Hawaii is probably one of the biggest tourist environments on the planet! o_O Probably more vacationers per square mile than anywhere else.....and, many of these tourists are looking for something special to bring home with them to commemorate their "once in a lifetime" vacation. Because of that, I'm also betting there are more woodturners per square mile than anywhere on the planet, as well......and, there are a ton of those who live there looking for some way to cash in on the ready-made marketplace. This market is full of vacationers just itching to spend their money like it grows on trees! :D

12. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Hawaiian wood turners get lei'd more than any other state. :)

Emiliano Achaval and odie like this.
  13. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    We have about 32 club members on Maui. Probably that many more that do not bother to join. Some told me they didn’t need help and that they didn’t want to divulge how to sell ... The Big Island has hundreds of turners. Probably hundreds on Oahu. A few on Kauai. 2 on Lanai... not many would want to pay big money on a lathe here on Maui. They prefer a Laguna for half that. Most are beginners Amd don’t really know the difference between a Yugo and a Ferrari... I’m playing it cool for now, my instinct was to run over to her house and buy it! Lol

14. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Actually, the greatest density of woodturners anywhere is in the Appalachian Mountains region, especially Tennessee, the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, and Georgia. The state of Washington also has a very large number of woodturners.

I don't agree that the tourist market is a likely place to sell a high end lathe (or any other lathe). Tourists buy things that they can't get back home. Woodturners are pretty smart buyers and aren't likely to part with money unless they think that they are getting a good deal. Emiliano thinks that the lathe is overpriced and if you add shipping costs to the mainland it's certainly not an attractive deal.

Emiliano Achaval and hockenbery like this.
  15. hockenbery

Home Page:
    The greatest density of AAW members is the Baltimore Washington area.

16. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    The club that I belong to has over two hundred members, but not many AAW members. I don't know if that is typical of other areas.

17. hockenbery

Home Page:
    It varies a lot some clubs are 100% AAW members most have 50% or more AAW membership.
    A few are much lower.
    A high percentage of the more serious Woodturners join AAW.

Most clubs have a minority their membership (5%-40%) that have too little interest in improving their woodturning skills to be interested in AAW. It is not uncommon that 5% of the members of club don’t own a lathe.
    Some individuals lack the financial resources.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  18. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    When I get frustrated about lack of participation in our club, my wife reminds me not everyone is as obsessed with turning as me. Beginners think they have to be good to join the AAW. I tried hard to tell them is made for them! Not a surprise to hear that serious turners join...

19. Curtis Fuller

Curtis Fuller

I bought a used (2008) VL300 shortbed 3hp Leeson about 2 years ago for 5,000. At the time Craftsupplies was selling them new for around 7,000. But mine came with 5 Vicmarc chucks and 12 sets of jaws including 2 sets of cole jaws, 6 faceplates, about 30 chisels ranging from 1.5" scrapers to skews, bowl and spindle gouges, more tools than I'll probably ever use. I got a bunch of spur drives, live centers, 8 drill chucks, and a bunch of other things I can't even remember. By the time the widow of a very tool crazy turner was done throwing in extras, I felt I had more in accessories than the lathe itself. Is the lathe you're asking about a short or long bed, what hp motor is on it, does it include a stand. Usually Vicmarc lathes are imported into the US without stands, motors, or controllers and then "built" here. That dramatically increases the price that's listed on Vicmarc's Australian website. BTW, I love my VL300.

20. odie

odie

Curtis......would love to see your lathe and shop.....if that's possible.

-----odie-----