• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Virginia Woodturners Symposium

Have any of you been to the Virginia Woodturners Bi-Annual symposium?
If so how would you rate it?
Is it worth traveling 600 miles to attend this symposium?
I appreciate any replies.
Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This is a question only you can answer. In recent years the Virginia symposium was mostly hands-on classes. This year it is mostly demos.

1. did not see where you live in your profile but unless it is in the ocean, one or more other regionals Will be closer to you: Florida, 2 in Georgia, Tennessee, mid Atlantic in PA, Chicago. Also the AAW in KC may be closer.

2.viginia has a terrific line up of Demonstrators. If you are really interested in the work of one or more that could be a decision point. Bosch and Clewes will be in KC

3. All the regionals have terrific lineups of demonstrators. Each demonstrator does different things. If your interest is hollow forms, pens, ore boxes one of regionals may have more demos for you. Some offer hands-on classes

Last edited:
Website
www.billbulloch.com
With the line up of Demonstrators they have I don't know how they can ONLY charge a $75 registration fee. Wish I could go, but the 555 mile drive up there is a little too far for me.

Back