• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

voids in blank

I have a blank that I would like to turn but it has some voids that I would
like to fill before turning. Plese advise me on what material I should use as
a filler. The voids are too big for CA. Thanks for your help.

Ah sawdust!

I've had good results by packing the void with either saw or sanding dust from the same wood as you're repairing and then applying thin CA glue. I tried the same technique w/a contrasting sanding dust (maple dust in walnut wood.) The result was OK but not as great as I thought it would be.

It's difficult without seeing the blank but I would rough turn it first. This may influence your choice. If the void is a natural inclusion you may want to color the walls of the void, say black to make them stand out, and not fill it at all. I often do this with Mesquite. My next chouce would be epoxy, clear, colored or filled with sawdust, brass or soft stone. All of which will polish as well as the wood. Just be sure to apply the filler proud of the service because epoxy will shrink as it hardens. If the void goes through to the other side back the hole with plastic packing tape. Like Scoth tape. Masking tape or duct tape will be distroyed by the heat as the epoxy hardens.
Hope this helps
Have a Happy
Bob Edwards, San Antonio

I'm a really big fan of leaving the void and making it a part of the piece. The majority of my work at this point is using "distressed" wood and some pieces are more not than there. I find something very esthetically pleasing about a vase that you can look into from the top and side.

Otherwise, packing it and CAing it would be the way to go. Warning, though. Sawdust will be much darker than the surrounding wood much of the time.

IMHO,
Dietrich

Too Much Sawdust

And the void will look like a particle board inlay. :D

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
West System Epoxy + graphite

Be careful with CA glue ... many years ago i used ca on voids, gave it an hour to dry, but only the outer layer cured. once the lathe was on, the CA glue burst out in vapor cloud ... would have destroyed my eyes if i hadn't been wearing a shield.

now i use west system epoxy colored with their black graphite power. you can use many other types of coloring agents. the caution with epoxy is the heat it generates while curing ... the cured epoxy turns ok ...

Void filling

My experience with epoxy and trying to match the color has turned me against this method. No matter what I tried the patch looked different in color and texture, and the curing process was significantly delayed. The black look, with or without epoxy is my choice these days. Good luck! Phil

undefinedundefinedundefined
Mark Mandell said:
Hey, Peter,

You get some inclusions in that 5-Barns Walnut? :D

Mark Mandell
Mark, I gave the ash blanks to whoever wanted them but I did not take any
of the walnut; because, I felt I was not of the skill level to turn them.
Maybe next year. Pete in nj

Walnut

Peter,

To quote David Ellsworth . . .

"It's only wood."

C'mon up and get some. You get the skill by doing, not by arguing for your limitations!

Mark :D

I turned some antler that had a lot of cracks in it. Listening to my wife, I filled them with a mix of gold glitter and epoxy. It makes for an unusual look, almost like veins of gold!

Website
paulporterwoodturning.com
Try coffee grounds...

...used and dried with CA. If they are large voids, put the coffee grounds in in layers soaking it with CA. But STAND BACK after you add the CA, coffee grounds act like a natural activator. You will get bubbling and smoke. When you cut or sand it smooth, you will find small pits. Fill those with sanding dust (I use Ebony dust) and the final result will look something like a bark inclusion.

Good luck!

Paul

Back