• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Websites

I recently bought a digital camera and would like to get my turnings up on a website for all to behold, blah, blah, blah.

Is anyone aware of free websites for people like us?

Don.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Check with your local ISP (Internet service Provider). You most likely have a website something like
http://mysite.verizon.net/username

You won't be able to run a shopping cart from it, but its great for bragging rights and instructional demos. You can also try doing a search from google.com for "free websites".

Good luck,

Brodie

Or you could do like I did and just spend 8 bucks a month for your own website.

Plus you get your own domain name, no one telling you what to do, I use Ipowerweb.com. If you decide you want to sell something you can.

I have prices on my stuff but to tell you the truth I don't carer if I sell anything or not. Its more for my convenience than anything. With free sites your limeted to low bandwidths and low storage
I have 1000 meg of storage adn 40 gig of bandwidth every month. needless to say I've never had a problem with the site being available. For that reason alone it's worth $8 a month

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Try this

I can't vouch for this site's quality of service or anything, just happened to have it bookmarked:
http://members.freewebs.com/ourServices.jsp

I signed up just for the heck of it to see if it's any good, and it has a pretty good site builder with templates for those who have never built a website before. I already have a website, and am pretty advanced with my webmastering skills but I threw this together in a few minutes using their editor/sitebuilder, just by clicking buttons, entering text and uploading one image:

http://www.freewebs.com/naturalrotations/index.htm

Last edited:
Ken,

Thanks for the input of the website. I looked at the free site you made and then linked to your "real" site. Beautiful work, but my favorite part was this line on the home page-

My work is a collaboration, for which I will take only half the credit. The other half I concede to the Divine; thankful for Mother Nature's continuous efforts in providing the raw materials for my craft.

Beautifully said- Ray

Website
Thanks Ray

And she REALLY worked hard whipping up those hurricanes, didn't she? Hope all is well down there.
To add a little humor to that situation, I heard that Floridians have taken up a new hobby.
Flying plywood kites--they come supplied with 40 yards of logging chain! :D

Website
sawsndust.com
One comment about many of the "free" website hosting services...be aware that there is sometimes heavy advertising stuff going on there including pop-ups, spyware and other annoying things. Be sure to check out what actually happens at the site before you commit your work to it, especially if you will be sending "customers" to view your portfolio. I use myhosting.com for my site and will also be using them for a new site when I start selling work. The annual cost is worth it to me for a "clean web experience" for my visitors and the only "advertising" that appears is affiliate links that I choose and are specific to woodworking.

Website
Good point

The one I recommended gives you an ad-free site for 45 days, after which you pay $10 annual fee to keep it that way.
I found this host while looking at websites by WoW members, and came across Jeff Lavine's site:
http://www.freewebs.com/jlavinewoodturner/

You're right, most free hosting has annoying ads of some type or another or you have to be very lucky to find any without.

My personal woodturning site is a subdomain of our AAW chapter's site--this is a good way to go if your chapter has good hosting with enough space, and the website administrator can offer it to the chapter members. As the webmaster of our chapter's website, I do this although there is very little interest from our members. Try contacting the web admin of your chapter website for the possibility, you might get a small amount of webspace.

Thanks for the input guys. This last one sounds like what I am looking for.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Don.

Back