• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What adhesive to use?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I have tried CA glue and epoxy to attach wood to stone. Neither works. Any suggestions?

Dick Wilson #40997

Dick, if you can provide more information it would assist in responding. For example, are you attempting to glue a wood sphere to a likewise spherical rock or are you gluing a wood tenon into a mortise? What forces are acting upon the glue joint? Do you want to lift one material by grasping the second?

I had a tree limb with a flat glue surface that I wanted to glue to a flat surface on a piece of shale. I ended up taking carving, sanding, and spray finishing a piece of wood. Just curious for future reference. Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Clear silicone caulk will glue wood to stone. It's clear of course.
I can't remember the name of the stuff but the glue that comes in 2 small black film cans will definitely do the job. It's kind of very dark gray when dry.
There is a glue called F26 that I believe is made by Loctite but I'm not sure of the brand. It will also work. I buy it at Lowes. It's a tan color.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I had a tree limb with a flat glue surface that I wanted to glue to a flat surface on a piece of shale. I ended up taking carving, sanding, and spray finishing a piece of wood. Just curious for future reference. Thanks

I worked on a collaborative piece last summer in which we wanted to attach a wood bowl to a piece of stone. The jeweler/mason member of the team didn't trust chemical (glue) joints but did the two of us woodturners listen? Nope. A few days later, the epoxy joint failed. As the jeweler was saying, "I told you so," he was drilling both pieces for a dowel to form a mechanical joint that was reinforced with epoxy.

I have become a firm believer in mechanical joints with glue as a reinforcer.

What about Gorilla Glue ?
I glued a 3/4" x 1.5" piece of Maple to the edge of my band saw table,
and used it to fasten a large dust hood to it. It's been hanging on for about 5 years now. And I broke one dust hood off the wood (don't ask how) and it is still connected.
Jim

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gorilla glue has to have a pretty flat joint. Any gaps will be filled with foam when it swells and it's not strong. I second the dowels but the glues I mentioned will work. I've used clear silicone caulk to hold all sorts of things together and even patch my roof. It's good stuff and stays flexible.
The glue that comes in the film cans (maybe the name will hit me sooner or later) is the same stuff they glue the reflective pieces in the roads. This is extreme stuff. We glued rocks to a brick wall and used it as a climbing wall for over 2 years. We had to chip the rocks away when they closed the wall.
I've glued metal and stones to wood using the F26 glue and still have one of the lamps in my house. It's got to be 17 or 18 years old. The yellow glue joints have failed due to wood movement but the f26 is still good.

Adhesive

FWIW, when I moved into my house many years ago, the former owner had glued some boards to the concrete block walls with Liquid Nails. When I pried the boards off, it actually took out pieces of the blocks! Now I have blocks with dimples in them.
I'm guessing that the porosity of the rock is going to have some influence on the glue. Good luck!

Back