• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What is the name of this tool?

Good morning...

I am a newbie who is taking lessons from a great teacher/mentor/friend and longtime woodturner, Peter Lamb. He was showing me a tool yesterday but did not know the name of it. It looks like a double comb but instead of plastic teeth, there are many metal pins. You can press it up against a spindle, top, bottlestopper, etc., the pins fill in the spaces of the spindle and on the opposite side you can see the reverse impression. This can be used to help mimic the shape of subsequent objects being turned...

Does anyone know what this tool is and where I can get one?

Thanks in advance....

Dave Kartzman :)

Tool Name

They are called contour gauges. I just checked the Highland Woodworking catalog and they have 2 sizes of contour gauges, 5" and 10".
Tim Carter

From at least one source, it's called a Contour Gauge. "Profile" might be another good key word for searching for one from another vendor.

EDIT:
Hey! Where'd those other posts come from while I composin' this one?

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have both the metal pin contour gouge and the plastic version. They both have their place. The metal pin has finer bars so it takes details better. The plastic one won't scratch a delicate or painted surface.

Gentlemen....

Thank you so much for your very quick responses. I sincerely appreciate all of the help that you and the others provide to us newbies.

Dave :)

Plastic version: Harbor Freight has the 6-inch, and Grizzly has the 10-inch.

I think Lowe's and Home Depot have the metal pin version.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you need to make an exact duplicate of something nothing beats drawing it, cutting it out and placing this pattern over the new piece. The contour gauge only gets you close.
Another trick I've used is to take my slide projector (remember those). Project the light on the piece so it puts a shadow on a piece of cardboard behind the piece. Trace this and cut it out. You do need to put the projector far enough back so the light produces the same size shadow. If your too close the shadow is larger. My LED flashing with just the center light works almost as well but the shadow edges are softer which gives too much fudge factor.

Thank you for all of your responses. I went to Home Depot yesterday and picked up their contour guide... This is great.

One of my concerns all along as been consistency. I'm still working on tool technique, but eventually, I want to be able to create practical pieces. Our daughter has already given me a 'wish list' for Christmas (12 inch Maple bowl for their table, bottle stoppers, lots of custom christmas decorations, salad bowls, etc. etc.) Having the contour guide is certainly going to help me keep some things looking the same.

Now if I could only get my sharpening technique consistent and stop grinding down my tools (I have a tru-grind jig, but I have been working on my freehand technique which is not going well)...lol.

Thanks again to everyone!

Dave :)

Back