• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What should I buy?

I recently took a woodturning class and am now hopelessly hooked. I am looking for a midi lathe and am interested in the Delta variable speed version or the General International 25-200M1 Variable Speed Maxi-Lathe. I like the General because the head stock pivots, however, I can't find any reviews for it. The Delta reviews very nicely, but I think that having a pivot head will allow for greater range for future projects. Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Hi Dan,
You need to know how much is in your pocket book. :D
This can be a good time of year to buy with Christmas sales starting soon.
Buy the best lathe that you can, buy one bigger than you think you need. Shop around and look for those sales. Happy turning
Jim

Is the General a good lathe? That is pretty much my budget. I am not waiting for Christmas. Maybe an IOU or something. :)

I too have the Delta 460 and love it. I am sure I'll get some huge lathe later on, but I could not have made a better choice and it's the only midi with 1 hp. I got the bed extension and made my own stand, I can turn canes and table legs with no problem. You will not regret buying the Delta 460. Enjoy.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I'm a fan of the Delta. I've owned 4 mini's and own a Powermatic. The Delta beats out all the other mini's I've owned (of course it is bigger than they were which could be a downside if you have to move it). I haven't turned on the General.
You have to be careful with swiveling headstocks. although in theory you can turn larger work lathe vibration gets to be a problem and often the tool rest won't reach around far enough.

Go with 46-460

Have had the 46-460 for over two years and still love it.
Much better tha other midis
Peter L

Just to be the other voice, I have the General Maxi-lathe and have had absolutely no problems from it.

welcome to the vortex

Just a heads up, my lathe was about 40% of the total cost. I would consider a sharpening system and learning how to use it to be the second item on the must have list. Dull tools cause all kinds of problems. I did not buy a "starter kit" of anything. I would pick and choose what you need one tool at a time. My local wood turning club and this forum was a great place to try out different tools and methods. In the long run I think you will be spend less and be happier with the results.

Cheers and happy turning.

Delta Vs General

I own the General you're asking about and like it a lot. I have turned on the Delta too. Both are good lathes.

The General does not have reverse.

Back