• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What type of pine tree is this?

FDD2F0A1-953C-4ECA-AD15-42E70F892037.jpeg A4D546F4-A25D-4BA2-8CE2-C772BBB18E04.jpeg 5E63B440-13B6-44FB-A6E7-7C6C42128A6D.jpeg 56B25159-C254-43A8-AAFC-162F0176E3FC.jpeg We have recently had a heavy ice storm and there are many many trees that have succumbed to the heavy ice.
I visited a property today 5 acres that had been groomed into a park like setting, with a meandering stream running through it and a huge variety of non native trees that have been planted throughout the property.
Of those trees there are about a dozen or more of these pine ? Trees that have been uprooted.
Does anyone know what variety of pine these may be?

Though I'm not an expert, my understanding is that needle length and the number of needles in each little bundle are the easy indicators of variety. From the pictures, it's obviously a pine tree, but beyond that the needles aren't well enough seen. The thin, flaky bark is unusual for around here and for horticultural trees I've seen, but it's possible the bark reflects a disorder of the tree, which may be the reason they were so susceptible to the ice storm. If you can measure the needles and show a close up of them or count the number in typical bundles, maybe we can figure it out, or at least narrow it down.

John, do you have a tree service locally that might be able to help? Also, a college or university should have someone who would have that information. Or, your government forestry service. FWIW, I have a friend who takes pictures of plants and trees in his trout fishing venue. He has two university websites that he can forward the pictures to and get an answer within a couple of days. Sorry, don't know who they are.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Looks like the infamous tri-color dandruff pine! I've seen those before. I recall seeing a bunch in a park in Hong Kong.

You could always save a small chunk of wood and send it off the forest sciences lab for ID. You might have to involve an American buddy. The free service is for American private citizens and will accept three specimens a year:

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php

Martin Groneng

Dances the Gouge Jig
Looks like red pine, but whatever pine it is, it is good for heating. Not worth a S..T for turning unless you want your tools all gummed up and tool rest, chuck, etc all gummed up too!! If you don't believe me, try it and learn the hard way!

Sometimes you need the bark, leaves and seed pods to positively identify a tree species.
Many states have a listing of trees that readily grow in your area and have drawings and photos
showing the different identifying characteristics of the different species. You could also check to
see if your state university or state agency has resources for your area. Many of these are listed
on the internet.

I don’t think I’ll want to be turning any of this pine as it does have a LOT of sap.
The property location is in British Columbia near the west coast, approx. 50 miles inland up the fraser valley. This is definitely not a native tree, nor is it a diseased tree. I was just curious as I’ve never seen a pine tree with bark like this, there were perhaps 30 trees planted in a small cluster on this property, the property is full of exotic none native planting’s this being one of them.
Before posting here I spent a few hours on the internet trying to figure out exactly what variety this was without success. So then I thought I would post the question here. The branches grow sparsely on these trees as each cluster of branches are 3 - 4 feet apart.

Back