• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wheels on lathes

I am looking forward to my new Nova DVR this week.
The stand I built is the one in the owners hand book.But before I bolt the lathe to the stand I thought that I might want to put wheels on it.
Any suggestions?
Good idea, bad idea?
Thanks,
Jeff

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto what Terry said. The wheels need to be either removable or can be lifted or cranked up out of the way. I've seen some good ideas over the years and come up with one or two myself.
The simplest but not good for heavy lathes is to have a hinged platform that the wheels fix to. Lift one end of the lathe and push the wheels under, move it, lift the lathe and flip them back out. Works great for my router table but not worth a darn for my 750lb powermatic.
I saw a nice system last weekend when I went to Indyfest. Ray had installed 3 boat trailer front wheel lifts. Crank the wheels down until it lifts the lathe and then roll it where you want to go. He did install pins in 2 of the wheels so they didn't rotate. He said that made it easier to control where the lathe wants to roll. I like that idea and may look at installing 4 of them on my Powermatic.
When I had to move I just had days to come up with system to move my lathe. I built some wooden platforms that had a metal lip. I attached 2 wheels to this. I raise the lathe with a floor jack, slide the wheels under and then lower the lathe. the L shaped platforms lock onto the lathe and I can roll it wherever I want. It is a little slow getting set up but then I only move this lathe once ever few years.

Attachments

• Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    Powermatic-wheels-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 95

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If I have my names correct Pat Johnson from Atlanta sells a really nice lift system with wheels for the Powermatic. May not work on the DVR home built stand however.

I am looking forward to my new Nova DVR this week.
The stand I built is the one in the owners hand book.But before I bolt the lathe to the stand I thought that I might want to put wheels on it.

Good idea, bad idea?

Shame you built that stand. You want some splay up front to counter out-of balance. That stand doesn't have it. You can take some 2x6 about 2/3 as long as the leg, leave about 3" on either end, then run a diagonal. That will get you some splay after you glue it to the front of their stand. Don't get wild about finishing the stand yet, because it's also a good idea to elevate the lathe itself above the top. Allows you to clean out under the ways. For me it's a mere 1 1/2 inches, http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Forged-Peel-Long-View.jpg some might want more.

Depending on how you will stabilize the lathe when it's not rolling, you may have more height to work with. One fixed, one removable wedge is cheap. Also removes the necessity to put some other form of leveling device under the legs. I have moved mine once only since I put it against the wall. Crowbar, appliance dolly, and put in the new window behind it.

No:), new window refers to a multi-pane insulated.

I have my Vega on the machine mover that Vega sells. The lathe sits flat off the wheels when in use. I realize that the small footprint of the Vega may well be a factor in its success, but it works very well for me.

Website
www.docwks.com
I use the zambus wheels on my 3520B. The wheels are rated at 450lb and the has a screw type pad that lifts the lathe off the wheels. They have several types and ratings. If you call them and give them the information on what you are doing I've found them to be helpful in getting the best solution for your needs.

Back