• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

When did you decide you were ready to turn something for real?

Just wondering when people felt they were ready to turn something to keep. I've been turning for a couple of weeks, and love it so far, but am only making firewood, even for the pieces without mistakes. I'm thoroughly enjoying both the successes and failures, and trying to learn from every catch and run, and experimenting with each tool, different cuts and chucks, etc... Should I just "dive in" and try something? Any best suggestions for first projects? I've mostly only been playing with spindles --- haven't got a band saw yet to easily rough out bowl blank. Suppose I could buy one, but have been practicing on branches and split pieces that I can turn between centers. I suppose it's a confidence thing...maybe some of you can share when you felt comfortable trying something you at least hope will be a keeper.

Thanks in advance.

Nike

Every piece of wood I've ever turned was a potential keeper when started. I think it's kinda like the Nike ad, "just do it". I turn logs or chunks of logs usually from the firewood pile, so if it doesn't turn out, it's still firewood. The size and shape of the chunk will pretty much determine what can be made with it, so pick out a piece, chuck it up or throw it between centers and have at it. I figure it's all practice. Have fun, the rest will follow.

Tony

Last edited:
When I stated I just did it. I started making handles for some tools then I had a couple pieces of firewood. I use a chain saw to rough it and then made my first bowl. It was thick and was a little rough at the bottom where the side transcitioned to the bottom. I still have it on the coffee table. It was green and it warped a little but It was a keeper. By all means it is past due make something. You can take a limb and make a pencil holder, change bowl, wooden mallet, tool handle, and many more things the choice is yours. Just have fun

Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
First Project

When my son was about 10, he came with me the first time to our woodturning club meeting and decided he wanted to make something. We selected a piece of ambrosia maple and he made a beautiful platter. It was an easy project, but still looks very professional today.

Get some wood that turns you on and make some platters. You will be able to be successful and get some practice with the tools, sanding and finishing! As the others have said, just do it! Realize that you have to be brave and try new projects. Get some help from the local turning club members and do a lot of reading, watching videos and demonstrations.

You can also get a jump start in your education by attending the AAW Symposium, The SWAT symposium or the Provo Symposium.

I have been fascinated by the projects described on the web. You might want to check out the site by Larry Hancock that has great descriptions of a variety of projects http://www.turnedtreasures.com/ The website Woodturning Online projects page has a long list of detailed instructions for projects. I feel that if you are well prepared with knowledge, you will be more confident and successful.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for the inspiration.

It's clear that practice and practicality do mix. Next session at the lathe will be with a purpose and goal! Thanks!

band saw

the band saw is a whole new learning aspect, you might just get chainsaw to crosscut the tree trunk, do not try and cut the wood with the grain with the chain saw unless very dry, instead get 8 lb maul and some wedges, the tree trunk pieces will split with the grain, the pieces will be out of balance, but you can saw the edges off :D

Website
www.wildwoodgallery.co.nz
I built my first lathe and knew nothing about woodturning, which was obvious if you could have seen my fist lathe but it did work. I don't particularly like practice and just wanted to make stuff. I think from memory I sold my first set of goblets to a Friend who insisted on buying them.

My interest started when I was given some wooden goblets as a wedding present and thought I could make some of those. Every thing I made was going to be a keeper!!!!

I had heaps to learn of course so I read lots of books on woodturning and soon started to sell my work. I didn't want to just do as a hobby I wanted to try and make a living out of it.

Going around to gift shops and trying to sell my work was rather demoralizing and not me. I built a larger and better lathe and ended going into production work where I could make a living.
But that was years ago now I do art woodturning, which I find much more satisfying but harder to make a good living!
Robbie

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Like many of us, I started out doing whatever and made pens to make some money. Wife and mom at the time weren't critics, everything was beautiful (it's amusing to look at that work now and realize how much I have progressed). Although my wife has gotten to be quite the critiquer.

I think you know when your skill progresses to the point you trip over a piece of wood that has been laying around and realize what it can and will become under your gouge.

Having been fortunate to demo all over the US, it is fun to get these types of questions and see the glean in the eye of the turner who just has just gotten to the point where they can do this. It is the point at which you can trip over your own wood and make it what you want. Yes, there is always a learning curve to some new summit in woodturning you are pearing at, but that is half the fun. Taking your skills to someplace it hasn't been yet. Accomplishing that new goal. The thrill doesn't go away.

Thoughts on practicing

Steve, this is good topic to bump.

When should you start to make something? When this details in your practice pieces resemble how you intended those details to look. When you feel, somewhat, in control of the situation. "Design Opportunities" and unrecoverable failures will still happen. Some of your projects will end up as firewood, but that's woodturning.

I'm fairly new to turning with occasional gaps due to work commitments.:(

I started turning a lot of 2x4s 12 to 18 inches long because they were available. Rip them square first. I didn't throw scrap wood away unless I turned it into shavings or made it round until it broke. Occasionally I'd turn some maple. What ever I could get my hands on-FOR FREE.

As I got more confident, I started making tops at demos, handles for my files with 3/4" water pipe for the ferrules, a shop trivet for my coffee cup from a 2x6 scrap, numerous lidded boxes and pencil pots. Although people would say, "that's nice" about a piece, I'd know the difference between what I wanted vs what I got. I knew I needed to practice more.

You're goal when practicing should obviously be to develop tool control. Set personal goals for yourself; try to turn series of even coves, beads, pummels, etc. Push yourself. Use whatever wood is available to you, preferably free wood. (Caution: avoid used wood because of nails, screws, metal, etc.) When you mess up, ask why and try it again, maybe on the same piece. Once you've learned to cut coves, beads, grooves, etc., don't be satisfied with something that's "pretty" until you can do it again. At a demo a well know wood turner said about developing tool control, when you make something, make five of them. She said then compare the first and last pieces. I apply that to practice pieces.

And never stop turning just for practice with 2x lumber and those odd pieces to hone your skills or learn new techniques.

Frank

Last edited:
Aaaaah! Much better. Thanks, Steve (or whoever).

And some of us not-so-great too, Frank.

I'd pondered the idea of woodturning for a few years, and bought an antique (1929) Delta at a garage sale. The seller suggested our local WT club, but work duties prevented much activity, and it sat unused for a while. When time permitted, I found lots of ideas on the weird wild web. The bug finally bit hard a couple years ago. I made some chain idler pulleys from an oak tree that I felled. The pulleys will re-direct counterweight reactions for an overhead door to provide access to the crawl space under my house. Sad to say, the door construction is awaiting clear floor space in my garage. A lathe upgrade unfortunately took some of the space.

The bug wouldn't be dissuaded, though. I've kept most of my turnings, mostly to provide a record of my "progress." When I felt adequate, I gave a few pieces to friends, neighbors and relatives (some vases, bowls, and a big bunch of birdhouse earrings). I still like to practice, if only for "therapy." It's hard to concentrate on anything else when there's a whirling piece of wood threatening. Pushing the envelope is always fun, and a wonderful source of satisfaction. You're right, Steve; the thrill doesn't go away.

I don't use the bandsaw much anymore. An octagonal chainsawed bowl blank isn't much more intimidating than a square spindle blank. Thunk, thunk, thunk, either way. For serious production, though, I'd go back to the bandsaw, and maybe even a bowl saver.

Segmented, a modified Celtic Knot process, and God knows what all else, are still awaiting attention. The "bucket list" seems to get more arrivals than departures. I can't very well regret my late entry into the game, of course. It'll be a good ride, one way or another.

Joe

When I first started turning, everything I turned was worth keeping.:rolleyes::p

A little over two years later I can be more objective and say that I turned my first "keeper" i.e. the first one that I proudly call mine, after about five months. But I should also say that the first two months were spent lollygagging around, trying to finish up some stupid flatwork project (which still ain't complete).;)

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Six weeks

I spent the first couple of weeks working on the skew after watching Alan Lacer's two skew videos and made some honey dippers and door stops. A couple of weeks later I had a one day lesson with an experienced turner and instructor and came home with a couple of bowls. One was an ok natural edge bowl and the other had way too thin a rim (only a keeper to be able to look back to see how far I have come.

My major turning milestone was after six weeks. I found a piece of crotch spalted oak when walking my dog along a nature trail. I made it into a beautiful little bowl about the size of my fist. So cool to be able to recognize the potential in a piece of found wood and then make it happen in half a day! I keep it in my office and treasure it.

Just wondering when people felt they were ready to turn something to keep. I've been turning for a couple of weeks, and love it so far, but am only making firewood, even for the pieces without mistakes. I'm thoroughly enjoying both the successes and failures, and trying to learn from every catch and run, and experimenting with each tool, different cuts and chucks, etc... Should I just "dive in" and try something? Any best suggestions for first projects? I've mostly only been playing with spindles --- haven't got a band saw yet to easily rough out bowl blank. Suppose I could buy one, but have been practicing on branches and split pieces that I can turn between centers. I suppose it's a confidence thing...maybe some of you can share when you felt comfortable trying something you at least hope will be a keeper.

Thanks in advance.

We all began where you are from the above. I would try turning finished pieces each time you work on the lathe. The biggest difference will be in the amount of time you spend on each piece which will be considerable. Just rough turning and throwing away a lot of pieces made out of inexpensive lumber doesn't tend to develope the fine control we all need and after a while won't satisfy you.

A lot of time and effort should go into developing sharpening skill. It is crucial that the tools be well sharpened.

You have probably read this on other posts, but I'll repeat it. If there's a wood turning group where you live, join it and get some of the tapes of well known turners producing work. One can learn a lot from watching highly skilled turners.

As for projects, simple hardwood bowls and also some spindle work. The bowl, at first, should be open on top. Later try bowls that are turned in at the top. They are more of a challenge. Pay a lot of attention to the form. Also, try different finishes. This way you will be carefully working toward a finished quality product.

Malcolm Smith.

I recommend that you begin studying all sorts of forms; even everyday, common items. Look for items that appeal to you, and try to duplicate the shape. Too many turners feel they need to focus on technique first, then form later as they gain experience. By aiming for good form now, you may avoid years of turning "bad" forms, and won't develop bad design habbits that are hard to shake.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Yesterday, I decided yesterday I would start.

Then, I turned today and, I think, well maybe I should start tomorrow.

So, tomorrow, I will start tomorrow!

A

Indecision is your decision.

For me it’s not determining when the piece or you are ready to keep. You will know when that time arrives. You will see the form, quality of cut, finish and best of all, when shown to your better half, seeing the expression. The ooh's and aaw's! For me woodturning has many, many challenges. Tool selection, sharpening and quality of the cut. Each tool and edge shape works differently and gives various capabilites. Wood selection and combinations for segmentation. Form. Form! FORM!!! You can have the smoothest finish on the ugliest shaped vase and nobody will like it. Visit the galleries and you will see how some turnings work and don't work. But best of all you have to have fun doing it! The challenge to accomplish the next level keeps the spark alive. Welcome to the vortex!

Walt

Keepers

When first I took chisel to spinning wood it didn't matter if the piece looked good or ugly as sin....it was a keeper!

After about a month of stuff just piling up everywhere, SWMBO put her foot down (and a hand across my head - OW), and very politely explained that all that junk needed to be sold or burned. Well, it was at that point that I got serious about form and technique....sure enough the turnings actually started to look like something saleable, applied to a couple of shows, sold stuff, made a few schekels (yea!) and best of all...SWMBO was happy once again!

Now years and years later things haven't changed much, the darling SWMBO still enforces the make and take sell rule....guess it's too late for bacholerhood!:(

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
(Ed Reiss.....What does SWMBO stand for????)

My first turned bowls were made on a Shopsmith in the early 1980's. It's hard to remember the details of my first efforts, but I don't believe I did more than a few practice bowls......two or three at the most would be my guess. Since those early efforts, everything I've done is with the notion that it would end up being something useful. There have been literally hundreds of bowls that ended up being practice bowls......and firewood!

As I sit here and think about this for a moment, I do remember finishing the bottoms of bowls in a very dangerous way. I took the fence and guard off of the jointer and passed the bowl over the cutting blades to get a smooth bottom surface. I don't recommend doing this, but I suppose it did serve the purpose at the time.

otis of cologne

Swmbo

Here ya go, odie:

From H. Rider Haggard's novel, "She," via John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey":
She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Joe

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Here ya go, odie:

From H. Rider Haggard's novel, "She," via John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey":
She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Joe

Thanks Joe.....

Yep, I've heard that before......just couldn't figure it out when put that way!

otis of cologne

Website
www.synlube.net
Keepers

Just joined this forum yesterday, So far the only thing I've turned have been 4 table legs (straight and tapered) for a coffee table I made in woodshop in HS. I started a few years ago turning pens. I've also turned a few handles for ice cream scoops. I'm hooked on "making shavings", as Capt Eddie puts it. I want to learn to do bowls and platters. I haven't tried that yet and would like someone that has to be around when I do it, so they can tell me "before" I screw it up. LOL

Great Forum guys

Back