• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where are you?

This Forum is one of the most popular sites for wood turners from all over the world. I have been fortunate to meet and exchange ideas with so many great people here. One of the things that intrigues me is where the person I am exchanging thoughts and ideas with is located. So many times if the person has a question his location has a direct bearing on the answer. I am in south central Texas an often my experiences will differ greatly from the turner in Seattle, Jacksonville or Rochester. When anyone posts a question here one of the first things I do is check their profile for a location. I don't want an address, or the number of your checking account. So tell me why so many people do not list a location on their profile. There may be a good reason, if so I may take mine off. But for now I'd like to encourage everyone to add a location to your profile. It may even be interesting to see how far away we are communicating :rolleyes:

Bob Edwards
San Antonio, Texas

Website
www.woodturner.org
interpretation for non-Texans:
Dripping Springs is 8 miles outside of Austin

Doesn't sound like much, but there is a lot more countryside just outside of Austin.

:D

Hey - is this a Texas thread???
I'm in NW Austin in the burbs.

Website
www.craftsbyken.aftosawebhosting.com
Hi all of you texans

Just a note I also like it when a person says where they reside. I read a thread where a person has a problem getting wood since I have more than enough I would share but their location is not listed anywhere so I do not respond. SORRY by the way my son lives in temple texas

ken hertzog
slippery rock, pa

A foreigner

I'm not from the US of A but I can see the Olympics from my shop window and Mt Baker from my house so I'm close.

Harvey Brooks
Victoria BC
Canada

Website
www.turnedalaskancrafts.com
Alaska

Bob,

I am about as far from Texas as a person can be and still be in the U.S. Healy, Alaska is located at the gates of Denali National Park. About 110 miles south of Fairbanks, AK. We have a really nice group of turners here in Alaska (most of them in Anchorage) and we have an active club and a great symposium. My biggest problem is finding turning stock. I am always looking for ways of getting wood up here since I live in what is fondly referred to as taiga. Translated to English that means short stubby trees. So if anyone is flying this way this summer and wants to bring an extra bag let me know :D

Todd

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
I would put my location in my profile if I knew how. I live in east Ft. Worth, just east of Dallas. Commonly referred to as north-central Texas. Jeff, since I dont know how, could you install my location in my profile? Thanky, Max.undefined

martinsville va

On the outskirts of Williamsburg, VA; America's first town -- not counting those in TX or CA! (you all know how easterners think everything started here!) Originally from Hadley, MA but I excaped via the US Navy. Phil

I live in Claxton, Georgia. You northerners will probably know it as the place the fruitcakes come from. It is about 50 miles west of Savannah, Georgia. Out in the middle of nowwhere.

dogdriver said:
My biggest problem is finding turning stock. I am always looking for ways of getting wood up here since I live in what is fondly referred to as taiga. Translated to English that means short stubby trees. So if anyone is flying this way this summer and wants to bring an extra bag let me know :D

Todd

I'm sure liability concerns have taken away what we referred to as "shopping at the GI store" when I was stationed in Anchorage - dump-picking. But there was good dunnage there. Perhaps your club could make the right contacts with shipping concerns to get on distribution.

Guam was another place with good tropical stuff, wish I'd brought more home when I had the airplanes.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I live in upper cumberland portion of middle tennessee 3 miles off I40 so if your traveling though give me a call.

I'm located between Baltimore and DC. I'm really lucky because the Chesapeake Woodturners Club is a great bunch and have taught this rookie a lot. :D

Hooray for Bob

Bob,
Thanks for pushing better Profile Info. You are right that when you read some threads location/enviroment does matter. I was not even creative enough to come up if a nick name.

On another forum I have found friends at the far ends of the country to trade different woods with. It has been fun.

I travel some for work and I will usually look for someone that participates in the forums from the area I am going, send a private message asking about 'turning attractions' in the area before I go. I let the business guys go to the bar, as much as I enjoy the bar, I am a proven underperformer there.

Frank

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Dustpan said:
I would put my location in my profile if I knew how. I live in east Ft. Worth, just east of Dallas. Commonly referred to as north-central Texas. Jeff, since I dont know how, could you install my location in my profile? Thanky, Max.
Top left <MY SETTINGS>
then <EDIT PROFILE>
at the bottom is "Where you live"

Website
www.ispinwood.com
Bob Edwards said:
When anyone posts a question here one of the first things I do is check their profile for a location.

Bob Edwards
San Antonio, Texas

I quit checking because almost nobody listed any informations in their profile.

It's funny too how this thread has turned into a this-is-where-I-live thread. I thought you were asking for people to give you a reason why you shouldn't provide this information in your profile. It appears that people don't feel they need to hide it.

I get a kick out of the little "Biography" field box in the profile screen. I didn't fill that one in becuase I figured it would be to difficult to abbreviate my life down to 20 characters. ;)

- Scott

R

Ron Sardo

S. Clark said:
It's funny too how this thread has turned into a this-is-where-I-live thread.

snip

I get a kick out of the little "Biography" field box in the profile screen.

- Scott

I live in Drums PA and I updated my profile

I thought the "Hobby" field box was funny, I was going to add"Basket Weaving" because "WoodTurning" would be to obvious

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I agree location is important. Lakeland Fl.

I also think a real name is important too.

It puzzles me why anyone would want to be annonymous in an AAW woodturning forum. The AAW is all about networking and sharing.

Just my pet peeve.

Al

I'm from the not so sunny lately Central Valley of California. It is nice and sunny today though.

Walt

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Location location location

Kurt Rosenzweig said:
Come on Mouse! Where ya from? Pony up to the bar! :D

Afraid the mouse may not squeek up, so to speak. (ooh bad one)

I just stick my name and location in my signature line. Works for me.

When Ham Radio operators make a new contact with some far away person they often exchange a "QSL card" as courtesy. I know there are a bunch of hams in this forum who are nodding along. Wouldn't it be cool if we all exchanged bits of lumber? F'rinstance here in PA we're just lousy with black walnut, cherry and oak that turns without splitting. Jeff J and the TX contingent would love some of that stuff. We yankees would love to try some mesquite or whatever. Whaddya think?

Of course a QSL card is just a postcard. Postage on a 5 pound chunk of black walnut may be a bit pricey :)

Maybe we can just use flat rate boxes! I'd love to try some of that southern stuff! I have a bunch of stuff to trade and it sounds like it could be fun! I'd be glad to organize it!

That sounds great to me. I am one of those southern woodturners and it would be wonderful to have to opportunity to turn some of that yankee stuff :D . Count me in if a wood trade is organized. I have oak, maple, cherry burl, cherry, palm(nasty stringy stuff), and I am sure I could come up with something else taht someone my have not had the opportunity to work with before.

Stacey

LOL!!!!! Cape May N.J.!!!!! You can't get any more south in Jersey without getting your feet wet! I'm a member of Cape Atlantic Woodturners!

Last edited:
Website
www.woodturner.org
Since people are reading this thread (a lot) I want to remind everyone that you can change a lot of stuff in "MY SETTINGS":

Password
Email ID

To get to these options just go to:
Top left <MY SETTINGS>
then click on the different options

About twice a week now we are getting emails about this stuff.

Kurt Rosenzweig said:
Come on Mouse! Where ya from? Pony up to the bar! :D

I'm from a lot of places. I am presently located where Dutch Elm beetles, Gypsy Moths and Emerald Ash Borers have been imported and are damaging the hardwood.

Where?

I agree with Al H. about anonimity (sp). I know about the identity theft problem but what turner would even think such a thing :D ? It's a blast to see where people are from when they post things.
I'm in Schenectady, NY now, where Edison and others started GE. I work In Albany, NY, home of the Totally Turning Symposium coming up on October 14 & 15, 2006 (shameless plug) and am a member of the Adirondack Woodturners Association and Mohawk Valley Woodturners, near Utica.
We had Al and his wife as demonstrators up here last year-very nice folks. Like most turners!
Wood exchange sound like fun!

Back