• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Lorin Bruckin for "Column" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 18, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where did I see compass drawing of 5 pt star?

Does anyone know where I saw the videos on compass drawing things like a 5 pointed star or pentagon? there were other videos like this. I have searched fruitlessly. Thanks Terry!

Website
www.james-mcclure.com
6th Grade

I remember taking a drafting class in the 6th grade and we did a 5 point star with a compass and straight edge. I had to do some googling, but this is the method we used:

Draw a circle with two lines at 90 degrees to each other crossing in the centre. We'll use clock face directions here. 12 means towards the top, 3 means to the right, 6 means to the bottom, and, guess what, 9 means to the left. The lines you've drawn are from 12 to 6 and from 9 to 3.

Divide the line from centre to 3 in half. This can be easily done by setting the compass at over half the distance and then drawing an arc from both the centre and 3 points. A line between the two crossings of the arcs, above and below the centre-to-3 line, will divide it in half.

Place the point of the compass on the half way point of the centre-to-3 line and set the radius to reach the 12 point. Draw an arc through the 9-to-centre line.

Draw one more arc with the centre at 12 and the radius set at the point were the last arc intersects the 9-to-centre line. Draw this arc through the initial circle. This radius is 1/5 of the circle.

Use the above intersections as centre to find the other two points on the initial circle (the fifth is at 12).

Connect the five points, each one with a point not neighbouring it, and there you're done!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A13083202

Good luck!

Star

Ron. Draw a circle. Set your compass to the radius. Then put one point on the drawn circle and scribe and arc. Then put the pencil on the point where the arc crosses the circle and scribe another arc. Do the same thing again moving the pencil to the point where the arc intersects the circle. You'll end up with the star with rounded arms. I think that is ehat you wanted.

Ron. Draw a circle. Set your compass to the radius. Then put one point on the drawn circle and scribe and arc. Then put the pencil on the point where the arc crosses the circle and scribe another arc. Do the same thing again moving the pencil to the point where the arc intersects the circle. You'll end up with the star with rounded arms. I think that is ehat you wanted.

That produces a six-point star, not five point. But it's useful for laying out a hexagon.

Joe

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Does anyone know where I saw the videos on compass drawing things like a 5 pointed star or pentagon? there were other videos like this. I have searched fruitlessly. Thanks Terry!

I think you saw that on the Wood Magazine site. It was the video companion to the article "No Math Geometry for the woodshop" from the September 2008 issue.

I know I watched several of those videos when the magazine was still current, but I just tried to find them again and had no luck.

Back