Where in Indiana is there a good class or lathe instruction?

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Gary Chapman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Gary Chapman

Gary Chapman

I live in southern Indiana and am self taught( if you call what I can do self taught) and am in need of some professional help . I read about all of the instruction going on around the country with great turners and wish there was a place semi-close where I could take a class.
    I strugle with different scrapers,gouges and gimecks but wish I had a better basic knowledge of what tools to use where.
    I grew up using spindle work as my basis for turning to find there is a better way to bowl turn. I can play with a bowl using many tools to get to a finish but I want to learn the right way to deal with different situations.
    Thanks for any help. Gary :confused::confused:
    P.s. I just bought a used woodfast lathe that I love, having so much fun with it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

Get thee to a local chapter, if you haven't already. There seem to be couple not too far away from you. Select "Find a Local Chapter" at https://www.woodturner.org/ Learning ways to deal with difficult situations is part of the fun, including some of the "wrong" ways. And many clubs have small libraries of books and videos for self-study.

3. john lucas

john lucas

Mark Adam's School near Indianapolis is an excellent place to start. I think there are some classes in Louisville at Choice Woods. I'll be in Southern Indiana this weekend at Spring Mill State Park. I'll be at the Hamer family reunion. Won't be doing any turning (although I did take a turn at the spring pole lathe in the woodshop in the villiage last year) If you happen to be in the area stop in and look me up. I don't think we will have a sign but there will be a bunch of us.

4. Jennifer@Indy.USA

Jennifer@Indy.USA

Home Page:
    Marc Adams School of Woodworking

Hi Gary,

I work at Marc Adams School of Woodworking both teaching and assisting classes. If you'd like any information other than what you'll find in their on-line catalog, please feel free to drop me a note.

Regards,

Jennifer Shirley

jshirley@iquest.net

www.marcadams.com

5. Vinces WoodNWonders

Vinces WoodNWonders

Home Page:
    Hi Gary,

This is Vince from VincesWoodNWonders.com. Hey I live in Jeff, IN. Send me a note and lets get you started using these tools. Weekends are best for me...

Vince

6. fizban

fizban

Gary another good school in the area is American Sycamore. It is in Cloverdale which is a bit SW of Indy. The owner is a great guy named Mike VanPelt, I have know him for years and learned a lot from him.

Here is a link to thier site http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com/