• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where in Indiana is there a good class or lathe instruction?

I live in southern Indiana and am self taught( if you call what I can do self taught) and am in need of some professional help . I read about all of the instruction going on around the country with great turners and wish there was a place semi-close where I could take a class.
I strugle with different scrapers,gouges and gimecks but wish I had a better basic knowledge of what tools to use where.
I grew up using spindle work as my basis for turning to find there is a better way to bowl turn. I can play with a bowl using many tools to get to a finish but I want to learn the right way to deal with different situations.
Thanks for any help. Gary :confused::confused:
P.s. I just bought a used woodfast lathe that I love, having so much fun with it.

Last edited:
Get thee to a local chapter, if you haven't already. There seem to be couple not too far away from you. Select "Find a Local Chapter" at https://www.woodturner.org/ Learning ways to deal with difficult situations is part of the fun, including some of the "wrong" ways. And many clubs have small libraries of books and videos for self-study.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark Adam's School near Indianapolis is an excellent place to start. I think there are some classes in Louisville at Choice Woods. I'll be in Southern Indiana this weekend at Spring Mill State Park. I'll be at the Hamer family reunion. Won't be doing any turning (although I did take a turn at the spring pole lathe in the woodshop in the villiage last year) If you happen to be in the area stop in and look me up. I don't think we will have a sign but there will be a bunch of us.

Back