• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Which Bowl Coring System?

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
I am contemplating buying a Bowl Coring system and am in the process of researching what is available for use on a 3520A lathe. So far I have found information on the Oneway, McNaughton, and Woodcut Bowl saver.

The Woodcut system looks interesting but is limited in capability.

The McNaughton and Oneway systems seem to have similar bowl size capabilities and prices but it is pretty confusing to pick out the pluses and minuses of each from catalog/manufacture adds.

Are there any reviews that compare these two systems? Can someone shed some light on the two systems?

Thank You,
Dave

I have the mcnaughton system. I can't comment on the oneway.

I do like the mcnaughton, it is verisital, simple and does not take up a lot of space. There is one problem with the lathe you have. The tool post is not quite tall enough to reach center, so what I an others have done is rest the post on the turn screws. Probably not the safest way, but it works. I don't know if the oneway has a similiar problem.

McNaughton

I use the McNaughton Centre Saver on my 3520A and fortunately do not have a problem with the tool post height, I have plenty of post in the tool base, I mark the height to lock the post, as to align the centre saver at center, with a scribe mark.

I bought Mike Mahoneys DVD to better understand the system.

I wonder if the post height on different mcnaughton systems are different. Mine is just a little low of center if I bring it down far enough to use the lock. Very strange.

Website
www.devonpalmer.com
McNaughton...

Both Dad and I use the McNaughton on our 3250's. They work well, but, seem to be extremely hard on the lathe. After coring 10-12 large (16-19 inch dia.) bowls, we ended up with a sprung Banjo and had to tighten the bearings on the spindle. We also had to keep a close eye on the set screws in the McNaughton handle and toolrest as the vibration tended to back them out. If you do use a McNaugton, I suggest adding an additional C-clamp to the center of the banjo to help secure tool rest/gate; Less chatter and more stability. Also, it helps to have two people running the thing - one to focus on the tool, the second to adjust the speed (slower near the end) and man the switch in case of a catch. Like the previous post, the Manhoney DVD is awesome about showing how to use the thing.

Tool post length

Several years ago I had the tool post lengthened on my Mc Naughtin system
by having my local machine shop weld an approiate length and diameter post. It solved the problem and worked very well.
For the type of bowls I turn now the Oneway is my first choiceof coring tools.
From the north ciast of PA,
Tom Obourn

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Bowl Coring

I have the McNaughton, when I was researching center savers I checked out oneway, wood saver, and McNaughton. I chose McNaughton because it gave me the widest ranges of choice.

Oneway has 1 type for 16" + lathes and another for 12" lathes. I have a 14" swing so it seemed I was in a bad position. The Oneway also requires the tailstock for the tool, instead of adding security to support the bowl being cored.

The McNaughton also allowed me to choose the angle of cut, shallow, deep, etc. They also have multiple sets of knives. I got the standard set and this works just fine for me. There is a mini set for coring below 10", although I've used the smallest of the standard to core below that.

I also core bowls while outboard turning on my lathe and the Oneway wasn't capable of that either.

In conclusion, if I muscled up to a larger lathe I was in good shape and the McNaughton met my current expectations. The Oneway was also a lot more expensive something like 4 bills where the standard set was 250.

Hope this helps.

Brodie

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Brodie,

I have the Oneway coring system. And you do not need the tailstock to core bowls. I do use it if I can for security, But it is by no means a must have. I often use the system without it. I guess I could also use it outboard with my lathe, but haven't found the need.... yet :)

There are also many adjustments you can use to vary the entry point of the knives for each core you take. I often use the smallest 9" knife to take three of more blanks out of one piece of wood. But one thing is true of all the coring system, if you use them enough, you will get better at getting what you want. It seems that it is just like turning. The more you use them, the better they work.

Best wishes,
Dave

Back