• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Who Knows Where to Find Brass Ferrules in Various Sizes?

Does anyone know where else other than CraftSuppliesUSA to find straight tubular brass ferrules of the type used on wooden tool handles?

brass-ferrule_t.jpg

I already have some of the 1-inch O.D. and will otherwise "make do" with their 1.25-inch O.D. ferrules, but would like to know if there's a source for a little more variety of sizes near those values (say, 7/8ths through 1.5-inch), as well as some larger, narrower ones in the 2.5 to 4.5-inch O.D. range (as could be used for mallets)?

Due to the way that dimensions are written, my searches thus far have yielded either too few or too many hits, and I'm still wading unsuccessfully through Thomas Register's list of ferrule makers/suppliers.

Ferrules

I use copper pipe that you can get from Home Depot or Lowes to make ferrules. The pipe comes in a number of sizes and is easy to cut with a tubing cutter. Once the ferrule is cut to size, you will need to file or sand off the burr that forms on the inside of the pipe from the tubing cutter, but that only takes a couple of minutes. I use 2-part epoxy to set the ferrule on the tool handle as well as the tool itself when I assemble it.
Tim Carter

Me too

Yes, I use the copper pipe also, and the little burr can be removed in seconds with a carbide widget they sell ( about $3) at plumbing supply houses.
The copper will polish up nice too, if you care about that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't argue about the appearance of copper, but as for copper pipe (and I might have to take another look) around here I seem to recall the big box stores offer only a few different diameters--none over an inch.

No problem doing a little cutting and deburring/chamfering or polishing, but I've pretty much explored the big box store offerings.

Something like Mark's link above might be an interesting alternative if nothing better surfaces. Unfortunately, as listed, their "cut sizes" of brass tubing run too thin--although they might have potential for pen blank tubing. Of course, I could contact them later re: custom work if necessary.

I may give some local plumbing supply houses a call or visit, but I'll keep checking to see if someone that has already "been there, done that" offers to share their solution(s) here.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use Brass compression nuts and brass nuts that used to adapt copper pipe to theaded pipe. The are 6 sided but can easily turn them round. They are threaded on the inside so if you make your wood very slightly over size you can put some epoxy on and thread these on the wood. Then they will never fall off.
I make my smooth round ones from Pipe nipples. These are short sections of brass pipe that are threaded on both ends. I just hacksaw off the length I need and then put them in a chuck and true up the ends. If they aren't far off I will just true up one end and glue that on the handle tenon. After the glue dries I true up the other end and turn and polish the new ferrule.

Several good suggestions I'll have to add to my list of things to check out. I'd forgotten about that pdf from Thompson, so I saved a copy this time. Anyone happen to know the wall diameter of those ferrules with cupped ends like Lee Valley carries?

I've used brass nuts for flared tubing on smaller projects, so the idea of threads on the inside is rather appealing. I'll just have to see what size(s) are available--while also checking available sizes of brass fittings and pipe.

I've already tried MSC and a few others, but links to any other Industrial Supply type places might be worth checking, especially if the site can be searched by filters for material, type, sizes, etc.

On line Metals sells brass pipe and tubing - the pipe goes up to 4 inch diameter - and they sell both 1.25 and 1.5 inch pipe for those hefty handles.

Onlinemetals.com

as I remember.

Steel pipe cleans up with a file on the lathe also -- Paints well with enamels.

On line Metals sells brass pipe and tubing - the pipe goes up to 4 inch diameter - and they sell both 1.25 and 1.5 inch pipe for those hefty handles.

Onlinemetals.com

as I remember.

Steel pipe cleans up with a file on the lathe also -- Paints well with enamels.

Online Metals. That one scores a bulls-eye for DIY ferrule material! :D

Just go to the borg, they have a large variety of brass fittings and couplings, I just hacksaw off the threaded or nutted portion to make ferrules of the size I desire.

Website
www.mich-art.com
Brass Furniture

Packard Woodworks sells them and a resonable price so put away the hacksaw and brass pipe as that would probably end up costing more. If memory serves, there are 4 different sizes on their site.

That's a site I check regularly. Didn't see any there (previously or today). Got a link?

Thanks, Martin and John :). And like you said, good prices (if you factor in a little for the convenience of pre-made ferrules).

I had no idea their search feature was so bass ackwards that I needed to look for "ferrules" instead of "ferrule". Oddly enough--now that I see what you were talking about--searching for the plural form also turns up the singular form as well, but not the other way around. :(

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I was using brass pipe nipples, but the price went out of sight a couple years ago. Another thing that I do is salvage old brass plumbing fittings and parts. Brass is quite easy to turn -- I just keep the lathe speed below about 600 RPM and turn a custom shaped ferrule to fit the particular need.

I got a coffee can full of brass fittings at a garage sale a few years ago. The tricky part is remembering where I saved it. Sometimes the easiest way to find something is to buy its replacement. Wherever you store the second one, is where you find the first.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Lamp parts work also, although they can be kind of thin. I buy brass tubes from them. I cut them on the hacksaw and then true them up using wooden dowel in my chuck that I made just for trueing up ferrules made of thin brass or copper pipe.

Brass nuts - Ferrules

I use brass nuts and thread them on my handles and then turn down the nut into a ferrule. I've never had one come loose and its a much more heavy ferrule and comes in many sizes.

I turn the handle end to size, thread the nut, turn the nut, drill hole for tool.

What diameters that would work with 7/8ths inch or larger tenons do you find readily available and where?

Brass nuts - Ferrules

Plumbing store or Industrial supply house. I've use as big as 11/4". I buy the nut and turn the handle to suit the size of the nut. Turn you handle end so that only the threads are cutting into the wood. I use a large cresent or open end wrench to turn the nuts. If you want a new handle on the tool - just back the ferrule off!

large copper pipe

you can try any wholesale plumbing supply house for large diameter copper but chances are they sell only to the trades or else hvac supply. i use the sweat couplers and just cut them in half make great ferrules and really cheap. the larger the diameter of the pipe the thicker the sidewall seems to be. maybe it is just an illusion

Mason line instead.

Have you ever taken a look at David Ellsworth's new book? There's a chapter in there on tool making including making handles. David uses nothing other than standard masons line for his ferrules. He just wraps the ends with a hangman's knot. I did this and went the extra step and painted a light coat of epoxy over the line just for safety. Works great, inexpensive. How many handles can you make with a 100' spool of line for about 5 bucks? You will always have the right size on hand and there's no need to be so precise to make the wood fit the proper diameter. Check the book out and take a look at the pictures he provides.

Back