• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Why so few Posts???

Ok, I'm new to the AAW forum and have only been an 'online' member for a couple of months, but I'm VERY surprised at the number of new entries each day! I know I'm going to receive an abundance of replies to this posting (and I think that may be healthy!!!), but I'm very disappointed in the number of new posts each day in each area (main forum, etc.). On the other wood turning forums that I have belonged to for several years, I see 'several pages' of postings each and every day... What gives? I expected that the aAW Forum would be the #1 Wood Turning Forum, but... Am I looking in the wrong areas, does the 'Online Forum' not post ALL postings, or is this forum just not used by the non-commercial/professional turner? I DO NOT INTEND to excite or upset other wood turners, but wonder if they too find this forum 'light' in the postings? If so, why and what can be done to improve the number of postings? Safe turning to everyone out there and Happy New Year!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This forum has been fairly busy lately (compared to its normal activity for the past couple years). :D

Why? It is hard to say, but various comments appear from time to time on this forum and others as well that:

• You have to be an AAW member or variations on that myth
  • You need to be a professional or something similar to that
  • We're a clique -- that's easy to say and there is not any way to counter comments like that. I've heard it said of every woodturning forum (and other types of forums as well).
  • It's only for experts and not for the average guy/gal. Well, there may or may not be more experts here than on other forums, but I haven't taken roll to compare the number of experts to other forums. I personally think that it is a good thing to find a place where there are other turners who can provide expert help.
  • Folks are snooty -- variation of the clique claim -- my experience is that all forums of all kinds has their share of disagreeable people. Some forums are very strict in enforcing rules of civil behavior and others aren't. I'm afraid that I might have to give this forum lower marks than average for this because I get the impression that the moderators/administrators should be more active participants or perhaps we need more volunteers to help with the task. However, the level of activity has dropped to such a low level that one might wonder why why is it necessary to increase the enforcement of posts that are less than civil.
  • Flame wars -- many years ago that seemed to be a common problem in Internet forums -- not just this one. I think that the flames have long since died out, but perceptions have a much longer persistence.
These are a few thoughts that I came up with off the top of my head. As a Newbie, you might have some observations of your own. Forums sometimes go through periods where they flourish and then sort of fade out. The reasons are numerous, but it seems to me that those forums with an active involved management do the best in the long run. Sometimes I feel that the AAW sees the online forums more as a stepchild than as an important part of its long term growth plan.

Finally, I see an active well-managed discussion forum as a way of advancing a very visible public image of the AAW and one of the best tools for promoting the growth of the organization itself if seen as a very viable organization that make people feel that it is something really worth being a part of where it is going and what it is all about. The AAW has accomplished part of this in their web site, but the forums are sort of like an afterthought.

Well for my part, I've been more of a reader than a poster here, but I had noticed it had been somewhat inactive lately. That said, my observations have been that everyone here has been exceedingly helpful to me when I've asked questions, and have never felt out of place here despite me being anything but a woodturning pro. I've not noted anyone being snooty or ever felt I was the recipient of "flames" so it appears (to me at least) if that was ever an issue it's gone now. I've never felt reluctant to post a question to get input from those who know more than I do, and there are a bunch of those people here.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Well for my part, I've been more of a reader than a poster here, but I had noticed it had been somewhat inactive lately. That said, my observations have been that everyone here has been exceedingly helpful to me when I've asked questions, and have never felt out of place here despite me being anything but a woodturning pro. I've not noted anyone being snooty or ever felt I was the recipient of "flames" so it appears (to me at least) if that was ever an issue it's gone now. I've never felt reluctant to post a question to get input from those who know more than I do, and there are a bunch of those people here.

Keith......I opine that your reasons for participating here (either actively, or passively) are probably in tune with the great majority of activity on these AAW forums. That is, most of us here are seeking self improvement. There are a few who see this as a social outlet, and a few others who attempt to use it as a way to massage their ego.

As for forum traffic........one of the best ways to make more of that happen, is to find some way for these forums to gain respect and credibility. It would be a long-term proposition, because there just isn't a way to make this happen instantly. There might be a few things that could be done to move toward these goals....with a vision.

One thing I've always felt, is there is a great amount of turning skills advice given, with no way to apply that advice to the results they are getting. This means current photos of the work they are producing. Some forum members freely do this, but for others, it's like pulling teeth to get a look at their work! For the latter, wouldn't it be a reasonable thought to wonder why they won't let you take a look at what they are producing........???? Is it not also a reasonable thought that there might be some "posers", who just tend to make advancement of positive information disjointed and confusing? If there are, it's a good way for a forum to lose respect. "Respect and credibility"......these things are only painstakingly acquired, and can be lost easily.

Of course, there are other things that can be improved, or addressed......but, this one aspect could be a real winner.......that is, if the forum were to prosper and grow.......

Now, just how could that be achieved? Of course, I don't have all the answers, but maybe classifications of forum members could help.....????

If the goal is to have a forum that is unique, with an attempt to avoid those things that degrade credibility, then it must have a "rudder" of some kind. Bill hinted at this in his closing statement.......and, I doubt there are few of us here who could honestly reject that reasoning. :D

ooc

Finally, I see an active well-managed discussion forum as a way of advancing a very visible public image of the AAW and one of the best tools for promoting the growth of the organization itself if seen as a very viable organization that make people feel that it is something really worth being a part of where it is going and what it is all about. The AAW has accomplished part of this in their web site, but the forums are sort of like an afterthought.

Last edited:
I use to be active on some of the other forums but have found I don't have the time to be active on "them all"". So I primarily check this one out using the mobile app on my phone.
I'm also one of those guilty of not posting pics of my work. I do take pics of my work but it's usually with my phone and in the shop setting. When I use to post pics on the other forums I would get critiques on my picture taking skills(and rightfully so). I just don't have the time to worry about pics at this point in time.
I know on one Internet forum pics were so abundant that very little critiques were taken place other than: great form, great finish. I think people got to a point they felt they needed to respond and that was it. Plus, people are a fickle bunch and unless you are an experienced photographer then lots of details are lost. Photography takes time for beginners of photography.
I love looking at people's turnings and feel guilty that I don't post photos, something I will try and work on this coming year if time permits.

I do feel this forum has quality over quantity which is why I'm still here.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bill mentioned a myth that you have to be an AAW to be on the forum keeps some people away.
There is also the issue that a very small portion of AAW's 15,000 members use the forum. Way less than 10%

I think of it as a chicken and egg phenomena. If more used more would use it.
If 30% of AAW member were using the forum it would be the biggest/most active!
Since so few members use the forum it is not considered a major service to members by the AWW board.
Few AAW board members use the forum.
Mass email is a much more reliable way of reaching AAW members

A couple of AAW board members are quite active on other forums with which they were active before serving on the board.
WOW schedules a meeting at every AAW Symposium.

On the positive side active participants include
Current board member - Rob Wallace
Editor - Betty Scarpino
Program Director - Linda Ferber
AAW Committee members - John Lucas, Malcolm Zander......
Plus a few long time AAW members including John Jordan, Kelly Dunn, Reed Grey.......
Plus a bunch of folks that run AAW chapters and regional symposiums that are too numerous to mention.

Just a few points

I'm a AAW member (paid the fee) anf follow only a couple of forums and I've not looked for others. I've been turning for less than three years so I'm not an expert but would like to make a few points which come from the feelings I get reading this and the other forum I follow.

First I strogly disagree with any classification of the members. Who classify whom? Who say that the "who" has the capacity to classify "whom"? A forum should be a place in which anybody feel free to partecipate.

Furthermore I notice that there are a very few comments on the posted work. No tecnical or estetic analisys or just a reason why One like a piece. And here another important point that I find annoing. When sombody with a "name" in the little woodturning world post a picture there are immediately a few comments on this line: another beautifulpiece; stunning etc. Even if the piece has obvious flows and sometimes it is actually out of proportions.

And here another point. In an active forum, like in any sort of comunity, puliteness is of essence but so are critiques. An artifact is posted often to show someone ego but often for having constructive critiques which may be negative on the piece but with an explanation may help improve the comunity, and my feeling is that this does not happen often.

Finally I believe that asking for the real name may keeppeople away.

Happy hew year to everybody.

odie

TOTW Team
I'm a AAW member (paid the fee) anf follow only a couple of forums and I've not looked for others. I've been turning for less than three years so I'm not an expert but would like to make a few points which come from the feelings I get reading this and the other forum I follow.

First I strogly disagree with any classification of the members. Who classify whom? Who say that the "who" has the capacity to classify "whom"? A forum should be a place in which anybody feel free to partecipate.

Furthermore I notice that there are a very few comments on the posted work. No tecnical or estetic analisys or just a reason why One like a piece. And here another important point that I find annoing. When sombody with a "name" in the little woodturning world post a picture there are immediately a few comments on this line: another beautifulpiece; stunning etc. Even if the piece has obvious flows and sometimes it is actually out of proportions.

And here another point. In an active forum, like in any sort of comunity, puliteness is of essence but so are critiques. An artifact is posted often to show someone ego but often for having constructive critiques which may be negative on the piece but with an explanation may help improve the comunity, and my feeling is that this does not happen often.

Finally I believe that asking for the real name may keeppeople away.

Happy hew year to everybody.

Sergio.......You have made some good and valid points here.

Classification, in the way I intended my comments, is not much more than something that shows an AAW membership, or not........and those with an AAW gallery, or a link to current work.......or not! Those who aren't AAW members and/or do not show us their work, are always welcome to participate.......but, there would be some reference point for the reader to evaluate that persons input......that's all I meant.

As far as critiques go........unless it's specifically requested, it would be improper, or poor etiquette to offer any criticism. I think you'll find this applies to most everyone here. You want a critique?......ask, and you will get one!

I comment on quite a few regular entrants to the galleries. These people know I appreciate, and have admiration for their work without my having to continually say so.......but, it's not really the negative it seems you may think.

ooc

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't Been posting as much lately because I have been traveling a lot and have to use my phone (which I'm doing now). I suck at typing on my phone so I just don't post as much

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Having the member galleries being non-functional and the TOTW "stuck" on the same piece for over a month is contributing to the sense of stagnation.

I have to agree with this. For the world’s most prominent woodturning organization to be stuck on a technical issue like this is in poor form and contributes to poor public perception.

lull periods

Actually I have thought, but haven't needed (as forum then picks UP) to ask Odie for his thought provoking quests,questions. Keep those thoughts written down for when we need them, Odie, Gretch

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Finally I believe that asking for the real name may keep people away.

Sergio.......I agree with that.

I took the name "Odie" at a time when names weren't required. I believe there was some thought there would be some anonymous flaming going on, if a real name isn't used. I don't particularly agree with that, because we do have forum rules, and a moderator who will step in to prevent any problems.

ooc

Actually I have thought, but haven't needed (as forum then picks ) to ask Odie for his thought provoking quests,questions. Keep those thoughts written down for when we need them, Odie, Gretch

Thanks Gretch........Yes, I should write some things down. It's quite often that I wonder what kind of comments others would post on this or that subject.......then completely forget about it. :(

ooc

Actually I have thought, but haven't needed (as forum then picks ) to ask Odie for his thought provoking quests,questions. Keep those thoughts written down for when we need them, Odie, Gretch

Curious response. I have no idea if your offering a constructive idea and giving Odie a kick in his tail stock.

1: Is there any place to greet new members?

2: Will anyone greet them with a welcoming post if they speak up.

3: This forum is not an easy place to post a picture to. The size limitations are tiny. Not easy for a non-techno type to understand. There is and art to taking a good picture and having your work displayed well. Yes, my photographic short comings were pointed out to me.

cmg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Curious response. I have no idea if your offering a constructive idea and giving Odie a kick in his tail stock....

Well, the post had me scratching my head also. I'll accept that Odie's interpretation is correct.

1: Is there any place to greet new members?
2: Will anyone greet them with a welcoming post if they speak up.

Yes and yes. The main forum and the Newbie forum are where new forum members announce their presence and generally there are quite a few welcoming posts ... considering the amount of activity here. We are always eager to greet new members.

3: This forum is not an easy place to post a picture to. The size limitations are tiny.

The procedure is exactly the same as for all other vBulletin forums. And the AAW forum has the most generous image size allowance of any forum that I know of ... including a couple photography forums that I belong to where you normally expect to see very generous image size allowances. Now, if you are not an AAW member then the standard size allowance applies, but even that is quite reasonable. BTW, the image size allowance is not automatic because the forum moderators don't know whether you are an AAW member or not. You need to PM them with the required information in order to be approved for the larger image size limit.

response

Hmmm-must have a communication flatulence. I meant that Odie frequently brings new ideas and questions that are different and meaningful. I love them!!!!:DGretch

On the subject of posting pictures with todays tech one would think you would just be able to post a photo from your computer and the sites would automatically set them to size as happens on facebook as a lot of my turning Fb friends are now doing. In this busy world we don't all have the time to play with photo bucket etc . I belong to 5 wood forums and a moderator on 1 they all have the same way of uploading photos. Just my 2 cents worth. And I think it is a good idea to have a proper name as part of your profile even if you want a user name.

Ian

Hmmm-must have a communication flatulence. I meant that Odie frequently brings new ideas and questions that are different and meaningful. I love them!!!!:DGretch

I'm glad to hear that maybe there are some typos involved. Odie seems like a nice guy.

In this busy world we don't all have the time to play with photo bucket etc .

Ian

I admit I'm not the most though reader, but this is the first I've heard of using photo bucket or some host site. Yes, I need to become a member. Too many things to do. Let's see if my V-bulletin skills work here.

Looks like it might.

Sorry for the disruption:eek:

cmg

P.S edit- I'm use to pasting the image code on the post page and having the image appear. Not quite the same.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
P.S edit- I'm use to pasting the image code on the post page and having the image appear. Not quite the same.

Once upon a time this forum allowed you to use the BB code tag and then embed an image link between the opening and closing tags, but for some reason that I can't quite fathom, the folks in charge decided to use thumbnails whether the images are embedded or attached (which translates to more bandwidth required for the forum server than otherwise). Anyway, I am fairly certain that images can still be embedded, but they still show as clickable thumbnail links. Since most woodturners do not have their own website or use a photo hosting service, the "normal" way of posting images here is to attach them. Here is how to do it:[INDENT]When typing a new post, scroll down below the text entry field and you will see an area that says "[B]Additional Options[/B]". In the additional options, you will find a button that says "Manage Attachments". Click the button and you will be presented with a small pop-up window where you have the choice of uploading a file from either your computer or from a web location. I think that part is pretty self explanatory so I won't bore you with that part. As the final step, when you get ready to insert the image into your post, first click where you want to insert the image and then click on the paperclip symbol at the top of the text entry box. A list of your attachments will drop down (the list might just be one image if that is all that you are uploading). Select which image that you want to insert at the selected point. And that should do it, but if you have any hiccups, let me know.
[/INDENT]Additionally, you might want to see this: [URL="http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item_a1#faq_new_faq_item_a2"][U][B]How to post photos[/B][/U][/URL] on the AAW forum. And also information on image size limits (applies to non AAW forum members) [URL="http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item1#faq_new_faq_item8"][U][B]HERE[/B][/U][/URL].

I have to agree with this. For the world’s most prominent woodturning organization to be stuck on a technical issue like this is in poor form and contributes to poor public perception.

Yes, indeed. But the good news is that the new website is scheduled to launch early next year, which could possibly be why the webmaster is not devoting time to fixing some of the technical issues with the current website.

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

Website
www.daviddecristoforo.com
Yes, indeed. But the good news is that the new website is scheduled to launch early next year, which could possibly be why the webmaster is not devoting time to fixing some of the technical issues with the current website.

That would certainly explain a lot. An announcement to that effect in some prominent location or even a "sticky" on the main forum would do much to dispel the concerns...

Why a Nick is better

New site is a good news but I would like to spend a couple of words on why the request for the real name is not the right thing to do.
A forum is a place in which people go to have informtions, help, techniques etc. besides getting new ideas for their work and other just like to write and be there. Obviously many feel also important to "belong" to a comunity with similar interests.
But many people do not like or simply are shy of being in the "open", they just do not want to have their real name put on the air for everybody to know. I believe this is their privilege and has nothing to do with the desire to hide something. People in these days can be put on a calling or spam list for much less or even worst they can be scammed. As somebody already said a moderator would take care of offenders and alike.
Obviously the real name might help in the sale section but even there if somebody wants to sell or buy something he/she must become recognizable.
Thanks for the attention.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
The AAW is an organization focused on sharing what we know about woodturning to educate ourselves and the general public.

While I can appreciate that some people would prefer anonymity, I think that sharing our names is a fundamental part of that sharing.

The sharing occurs through the AAW Journal, chapter meetings, symposiums, forums, when we invite people into our home and shops.

Every woodturner has something to contribute. I think using real names shows a commitment to sharing and being open to fellow woodturners.

I'm new here I work full time. and turn every day. I also have a facebook page and do art shows......so I like the fact that you have to use your real name rather than hiding behind who you are.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm new here I work full time. and turn every day. I also have a facebook page and do art shows......so I like the fact that you have to use your real name rather than hiding behind who you are.

I agree. When you have job, your employer want to know your name -- not a handle. You pay taxes and the government wants to know who you are. You shop and use credit cards and for some reason the credit card company wants to know your real name. Imagine that. Almost all of the mail that I receive daily is junk mail -- flyers, sales papers, solicitations for contributions for something that I never heard of and it is all addressed to me by name -- not some anonymous handle. We have a name for a purpose so use it. To me, it sounds like an oxymoron to say that somebody wants to be actively involved in a discussion forum, sharing ideas and socializing, yet at the same time wanting to hide from public view.

The trend in discussion forums is away from fictitious handles because it is one of the ways to help reduce spam postings, discourage trolls, and greatly reduces rude behavior. All of the woodworking and woodturning forums that I belong to require members to use their real names.

BTW, Gary, welcome to the AAW forum.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I understand the desire for using real names, but there is a larger issue of how people choose to manage their identities. I chose to keep my AlanZ username because it's the way I have identified myself online (and in person) for over 20 years.

Also consider that many people have similar or identical names. Imagine the confusion of all the potential John Smiths that might register for the forum. It took me a while to realize that our John Lucas was not the same John Lucas that published many useful Festool woodworking tips and videos over the years.

So, I only use my full name (Alan Zenreich) online, or even professionally when I have no choice.
Getting called 'Zen-Who?' gets pretty old

Thanks for your ear,
AlanZ

Last edited:

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

I manage an online community with roughly 200,000 members. User names must be unique as it is the invariant user identifier.

As for supplying real names, we require full name and emails when registering, but by default these two items are hidden in the user's profile. They can choose to display that information, but very few do.

Spam robots that scrape user information from publically visible profile screens are a real problem. Spammers are professionals, and community administrators spend a lot of time on spam countermeasures. So personal information often should be kept personal... For some very good reasons.

That would certainly explain a lot. An announcement to that effect in some prominent location or even a "sticky" on the main forum would do much to dispel the concerns...

Dave, probably so -- almost every problem in the world boils down to sufficient and proficient communication, or the lack thereof. Boy do I know that! :eek:

One of the ongoing challenges for the staff in Saint Paul has been too much to do and too few employees. The ED has just hired a new employee (start date January 2) who will be in charge of communications and marketing for the AAW. I think in the future, AAW members will be appreciating improved communications, along with an improved website design and content. The AAW is in great hands and doing quite well! I guess they (we?) have not communicated that clearly ... yet.

I'm wondering if you've noticed the many upgrades and fixes already made to the content of AAW's webpages? Just today the webmaster (who works part time) asked me a few questions about journal content for the website, which she then upgraded on the various pages.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Bill,

I manage an online community with roughly 200,000 members. User names must be unique as it is the invariant user identifier.

As for supplying real names, we require full name and emails when registering, but by default these two items are hidden in the user's profile. They can choose to display that information, but very few do.

Spam robots that scrape user information from publically visible profile screens are a real problem. Spammers are professionals, and community administrators spend a lot of time on spam countermeasures. So personal information often should be kept personal... For some very good reasons.

I'd agree with AlanZ.......

If the AAW requires a real name, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it, but I'd rather keep my identity private. As far as announcing it for anyone, everyone, or anything to see.......I'd rather not.

Best I can see from the responses here, is some people just think giving a real name is the right thing to do......but, no real benefit to it, beyond what a moderator can deal with. If anyone can give a reason why a real name has to be used, beyond what they guess, or think might happen......I'm sure I'm not the only one who would entertain some real facts to support those reasons......

BTW: I gave my real name to someone on the AAW staff years ago, so I'm not really anonymous. If it ever became a problem, the AAW knows who I am.

ooc

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would entertain some real facts to support those reasons......

Odie,
I believe this is a philosophical argument. One not supported by facts but how one views participating in the forum.
I would not wear a disguise or give a false name at an AAW Chapter, at a symposium.......
I would be given a name tag at many chapter meetings and all symposiums. I would wear it.

Is the forum an extension of these activities? I think it is. But that is my opinion.

I just use my last name. I'm not opposed to handles when people introduce themselves.
I certainly can appreciate concerns about cyber threats.

Al

I think giving your real name helps in knowing who you are getting info from. If someone is giving me advise on how to do something in a critique it helps in knowing if that individual is credible with his knowledge. Only way to know that is by name recognition or googling the person. MM gave advise on using a SRG for bowl turning, not sure who MM really is and personally didn't put much creedance into it. But, if that had been John Lucus giving that advice I might have given it a try because I recognize him and his name has garnered some respect. But, I've been around long enough that it doesn't matter to me that much.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... I'm wondering if you've noticed the many upgrades and fixes that have already been made to the content of AAW's webpages? Just today the webmaster (who works part time) asked me a few questions about journal content for the website, which she then upgraded on the various pages.

Yes, Betty, I have been admiring the upgrades that have been implemented over the past year and it is very well done. The discussion forums have been a separate entity from the web site so I have been wondering lately whether the upgrades include the forum. What Al said earlier led me to wonder about the board's commitment to the forum and also reinforced some of my concerns about the lack of support for the forum. There are a few of my fellow club members who occasionally post here and many more who refer to themselves as "lurkers" (only read the posts). My list in post #2 above came about from reasons mentioned by others when discussing participating (or more correctly I should say not participating) in the AAW discussion forum.

BTW, thanks to Kenneth Harris for helping to breathe some life into the forum here.

Last edited:
.... What Al said earlier led me to wonder about the board's commitment to the forum and also reinforced some of my concerns about the lack of support for the forum. There are a few of my fellow club members who occasionally post here and many more who refer to themselves as "lurkers" (only read the posts). My list in post #2 above came about from reasons mentioned by others when discussing participating (or more correctly I should say not participating) in the AAW discussion forum.

Bill, if you and others want support for the Forum to continue as well as thrive, send an email to various AAW Board members, as well as the Executive Director, Phil McDonald. I think the Forum is a valuable resource, but that's just my opinion.

Obviously nobody should restrain one person to use his real name, if he so desire.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,
I believe this is a philosophical argument. One not supported by facts but how one views participating in the forum.
I would not wear a disguise or give a false name at an AAW Chapter, at a symposium.......
I would be given a name tag at many chapter meetings and all symposiums. I would wear it.

Is the forum an extension of these activities? I think it is. But that is my opinion.

I just use my last name. I'm not opposed to handles when people introduce themselves.
I certainly can appreciate concerns about cyber threats.

Al

At a symposium, or at an AAW meeting, I would imagine a few people would know me if I wore a nametag that says "odie".......and, these activities are not conducted on the internet......there is a difference.

If I were to have a magic wand and could make this decision, I'd let everyone decide for themselves what they personally believe is important, and have the option to determine how they are recognized.

Yes, of course, it is a philosophical disagreement. A disagreement that has no factual basis for a decision, either way. The only basis for requiring others to do what they don't wish to do, is because someone else thinks it's appropriate......no other reason, other than one person's opinion/belief overriding someone else's opinion/belief.

It was Sergio who suggested that some people will not participate in this forum, unless they can use a "handle". I tend to agree with that, and those who have made this decision will not respond in the affirmative.......for obvious reasons! We need all the members and input on these AAW forums we can get, and to minimize the possibilities because some people have a notion that there is something wrong with anonymity on the internet, and that anonymity is detrimental to the integrity of information being exchanged in this forum......is being a bit silly. (Yes, that's my opinion, and if anyone has anything to contribute that is more than an opinion.......I'm still willing to entertain whatever facts, and/or additional opinions to the contrary.)

ooc

Last edited:
I think giving your real name helps in knowing who you are getting info from. If someone is giving me advise on how to do something in a critique it helps in knowing if that individual is credible with his knowledge. Only way to know that is by name recognition or googling the person. MM gave advise on using a SRG for bowl turning, not sure who MM really is and personally didn't put much creedance into it. But, if that had been John Lucus giving that advice I might have given it a try because I recognize him and his name has garnered some respect. But, I've been around long enough that it doesn't matter to me that much.

There could be a very/many good turner who you do not know even if he/she gives you the real name, address and tel number. So according to your rationale you would not take their advise.
I believe the best approach is to use a little judgment and take any advise "cum grano salis".

odie

TOTW Team
I would go so far as to suggest that, if you are concerned about privacy, using your real name on a woodturning forum is going to be the least of your worries.

David......

With all respect, it's not about "privacy" at all......it's all about public access to personal information.

I recently had a credit card company call me and ask if I had attempted to purchase drugs in an east coast state. I was lucky because the cc company caught this. They re-issued new cards, and I wasn't held accountable for the charges. I have no idea where the thief got my name and cc number. It could be that information was stolen online from one of the many businesses I make payments to......who knows? Anyway, it was a realization that thieves are far more clever than honest people ever realize. It just makes sense that we all better start paying attention to any personal information that is public. We can't avoid giving out information when we do business on the internet, but we can limit the online clues that are readily available to anyone and anything seeking to get that information.

ooc

Last edited:
Back