Why such a difference in price? Bionic face shield.

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by odie, Sep 9, 2014.

1. odie

odie

2. Sergio Villa

Sergio Villa

Same price at Amazon $25.98. Must be marketing...

3. Tim L

Tim L

Just looking at the specs there is at least one difference that is pretty neat, the Woodcraft shield is scratch resistance. Don't know if it's worth THAT much difference in price though. If I were to buy one from one of those places I would certainly buy it from Home Depot, especially because it is at about half the price.
    Tim.

4. Mark Mandell

Mark Mandell

Since HD lists a model # but Woodcraft doesn't perhaps you could call Woodcraft and find out if its the same model. There have been differences in seemingly identical products highlighted before, with the BORG actually selling a less robust product that just looks the same.

5. Dwight R Rutherford

Dwight R Rutherford

Maybe with over 2,000 stores, they have a considerable advantage with a large buying power. Not unlike Walmart.

6. Mark Mandell

Mark Mandell

Interesting

The UVEX site lists the product as NOT adequate for "ballistic impact".

Doesn't help with the OP price question, but important to know that it gives no better protection and the standard: flip-up head-band products

7. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

The difference in cost may be the anti-fog coating. When these first came out (more than 5 years ago), Woodcraft carried 2 versions. The only difference was the anti-fog coating, and it was double the cost. I've worn both types and can say from personal experience, the anti-fog coating is worth it. The frame of the shield covers well below your chin, and actually comes down near my chest. That coverage doesn't expell moist breathe as easily, and fogs the inside of the shield quickly, especially in a cooler shop in cold weather. The anti-fog coated plastic never has that issue.

8. Sergio Villa

Sergio Villa

The replacement polycarbonate uncoated shield (no anti scratch no anti fog) is four time more expensive than the uncoated polycarbonate. The Amazon and home depot product is probably the non coated type.
    Here is a nice link about impact, mass, dissipation of force, and all the rest.
    http://youtu.be/UBZhP3mkFs4

9. odie

odie

Donna.......

I don't know if you have been monitoring the other discussion about face shield protection applicable to woodturning, but this comment of yours (in bold above)caught my attention. I have a question for you.......If there was an impact from a chunk of wood to your bionic face shield, would it push the bottom into your chest before it hits your face? If the answer is yes, then that would be a significant consideration for safety concern.

thanks

ooc

10. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    There are numerous permutations and recently while doing a search, I didn't have much luck in sorting out how to determine what was what. Price didn't seem to be a reliable way of determining anything. There is a fancy ratchet type suspension headband that can be bought separately, but I don't know if it comes standard on any models. As mentioned, there is the anti-static, anti-fog visor for an absurd price -- difference in scratch resistance is a nit. There are tinted and really dark visors for welding -- they say -- I think that I would prefer a real welding helmet.

11. AlanZ

AlanZ

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  12. Bill Boehme

Home Page:

I did see that data sheet, but it did not really clarify things. In fact, it created more questions for me. They touted their ratcheted headband system, but then did not explicitly state that it was included with any of the models. It was shown as an accessory. If I got all of the features that I wanted, it appeared that I would need to buy a couple optional items, but I wasn't sure if the optional items would actually be useful.

13. odie

odie

Looks like Donna has left the room, so can someone else who owns a bionic face shield address this question?

Also, I am frequently cleaning my face shield, so I'm wondering how the anti-fog, anti-scratch coating will hold up to frequent cleanings. Anyone know?

ooc

14. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Dude! It's like 3 AM and Donna is probably a normal person who isn't up surfing in the middle of the night like a couple guys that I know. If you just run lukewarm to tepid water over the plexiglass, that usually takes care of most stuff. If necessary, you can spray it with eyeglasses cleaner that does not contain alcohol or leave oily or soapy residue. Finally, wipe clean with a microfiber cloth designed for cleaning eyeglasses -- not the kind used to wash your car. With reasonable care, the coating ought to hold up for a long time. It"s about the same thing as the coating on your eyeglasses which are probably also polycarbonate.

15. john lucas

john lucas

I like my bionic face shield. The shape alone gives it more impact resistance than other shields its rounded shape would help deflect the blow. The lower part helps keep chips out of your shirt and I think would also help absorb some of the impact. But the main point is its comfortable enough to wear. I purchased a Trend shield a d can't stand to wear it. I doubt you'll ever see me in a catchers mask either so at least I will wear the bionic shield

16. odie

odie

So what are you doing at 3am, Bill? :rolleyes:

Hey, I was only up for a few minutes because I couldn't sleep!......I still work full time and will be leaving in about a half hour from now! I do retire in about 8 months......then it'll be nothing but over-time in the shop. As it is, it's close to full time in the shop now! (I'd say it's 25-30 hours per week currently.) The past five years has been crazy......just can't help spending more and more time doing what I love!

Later......:D

ooc

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  17. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

Odie, I appreciate your concern. I have 2 of those Bionic Faceshields, and they are used when I am teaching a student in my studio. We both wear one -even when I'm not turning, but simply standing there observing the student. So the use is when I am teaching, or demonstrating. Unlike Alan Z., I don't have a microphone set up to be able to talk to a student or observer when demonstrating or teaching.

What I wear when I am turning is the Airstream helmet with the hepa filter and respirator. And I also wear safety glasses.

18. AlanZ

AlanZ

Bill,

Both of the faceshield models have the ratcheting headband. The listings are likely for replacement parts (same thing with the visor colors and type)

Although I've never used it, it's likely that you remove the headband when using the shield with a user supplied helmet and the Uvex helmet mount.

19. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    I've been assigned to follow you. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Alan. I am considering it when I don't need to use my Airstream.

20. Mark Mandell

Mark Mandell

But NOT by Me! :D :D