• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Winter Issue American Woodturner

It is the 25th and I still do not have my copy of AW which was mailed on the 16th. My local Woodcraft had their copies Sunday, the 20th! :( Why do I have to wait several days after a commercial outlet gets their copies? We are both in the same town. It seems to me that a subscriber benefit would be getting an issue before the non-subscriber who picks one up at his local book or craft store.

Ron Wilson

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This sounds like a question that needs to be asked of the Post Office since it is their hands. Trying to get the PO to move faster is the equivalent of pushing on a rope. Also, it is possible that the copies that the stores get do not go through the US mail, but instead may go through the distributor that supplies the merchandise to the store.

Bill

Mine came today! :D
Light snow falling, fire crackling cheerfully in fireplace and fine reading! :cool2:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This is a question that comes up all the time with all the different wood magazines. The stores always get them before we get our personal copies. Has something to do with how they are mailed. I get about 12 different magazines and I can see them all at Lowes or Walmart before I get my home version. I think Phil Brennion explianed why last year but I don't remember. It's not big deal. It will come eventually. you can rest assured you will get your before I get mine. I'm pretty sure mine comes by mule, and a very stubborn one at that.

I think the same Mule that delivers John's has to come on down to Alabama. At times I wish they would not even announce when they mail the journals so I would not be searching through each mail delivery! It is always worth the wait as we have one of the best journals I have ever received for any membership!!

Wilford

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wow, the mule came in today. I got American Woodturner and Woodturner in the same mail. Just thumbing through both magazines they look like they are going to be two of the most informative issues in quite a while. I may have to put off reading them for a few days because I always want to make something that I've seen and I need to get ready for demo's on Monday and Wednesday.

Website
www.woodturner.org
This question has come up for every single issue for at least the past year. The magazine is sent 3rd class. And it has been sent 3rd class for the past 19 years. So some of the deliveries will be later than others. Also, the store copies are sent so they can have them on their shelves.

To keep this thread from becoming another quarterly 30 posting rant, I have a question for you guys. If it was possible, and I'm not saying it is. But if it was possible to have an option to mail it first class, would you be willing to pay the extra fees? Anyone know how much it would per magazine (I don't know)?

Hang tough Ron!

I usually get my copy late. (Small town Maryland Post Office) It came in the mail today along with American Craft magazine. Hang in there Ron, I heard it was on a Tramp Steamer headin down the Chesapeke to you as we speak!

Gerry

Jeff, if the issue keeps comming up.... (and late) perhaps it is time for AAW to change it mailing policy. Do bulk shipments to the stores go out before the individual member copies? If they do, can that be changed so I will get mine first? I pay a membership fee to help support what I think is a good association and to get the magazine. I get other mags via first class mail. The cost does not seem to be that much more than AW. I would be intersted to see how much more it would cost to ship the magazine First Class. Can AAW check and let us know what the actual increase in cost would be? Is shipping First Class the only cure for slow delivery?

Ron Wilson

Website
www.woodturner.org
Ron - I'm going to bring up some of these points with the publications committee. I'll post the answers on the AW Journal page and also in the forum here.

The other magazines you get are probably for-profit magazines. I don't think 2 weeks is a long time to wait. Plus, the other magazines probably don't post on their website when they shipped the magazine. Maybe we're getting this recurrent theme simply because we're sharing too much information (shipping date).

The base postage ( 8oz, priority mail) for my magazine to be sent 1st class from zipcode 50322 to 22310 is $1.98.
This of course does not include the increased cost of processing and/or packaging. If the magazine was in a envelope ( 8.5 oz.) the postage bumps up to $2.21. These are estimates only, but I would guess that it would be a $10 increase for US members.

The new issue looks great by the way. I received mine yesterday.

Mark.

A possible partial explanation (Long and detailed, maybe even boring))

I worked for about 30 years as an executive in the printing industry in book, magazine and catalog manufacturing. (I have been retired for about 8 years, but I retired early so I'm still young :))

Distribution of these printed products can be troublesome and expensive. I'll tell you a little about how magazines are distributed books and catalogs have their own idiosyncrosies.

I don't know all of the capabilities of Ovid Bell Press in Fulton, MO, who prints AMERICAN WOODTURNER, but from the quality of the three issues that I have seen as a subscriber, I would say that they are a high end manufacturer. (I still don't have my copy yet and I'm only a few hundred miles from the printer.) A quick Google search found a web site that gives a brief description of their capability. They appear to specialize in magazines and related products. Because of this they, of necessity, are also in the distribution business for these products.

The membership of the AAW is about 10,000. Therefore the print order is probably less than 15,000. With today's high speed manufacturing this is not a long run, either in the press room or in the bindery. The printer wants to get the job in and out as fast as he can so he can bill the job. Therefore, these publications don't stand around very long at the printer. The only storage the printer might have would be for the back issue copies for future use (AAW might even warehouse their own back issues).

Now, to address the distribution situation.

MAILING DISTRIBUTION
While these magazines are being saddle stitched they are also getting the name and address ink jet labeled. They do this electronically with data supplied by the AAW. The list is also pre-sorted by postal requirements for the maximum discount on the postage bill that AAW has to pay. The finer the sorting, the bigger the discount. As the magazines are being stitched, labeled and trimmed they are separated for postal sorting. The top line of the label on my magazine has ALL FOR ADC 720. My zip is 72401 so mine goes into a mail bag that gets a bag tag label, data also supplied by AAW, that is attached to the bag and when all of the magazines destined for 72XXX are in the bag, the bag is closed and put on a pallet that is destined for a USPS facility that will further re-distribute the bag. Sometimes the pallet loads go to more than one postal facility to be further reshipped either by over the road truck, plane or train until it gets to the post office that services the subscriber. There the letter carrier that will sort all of their mail and when they get into their truck will proceed to take AMERICAN WOODTURNER home with him/her and when they are finished reading it, they will deliver it to you. :) (I doubt that any of them do this.) Magazine mail does not hang around the printer very long or they would be inundated with this and other magazines, and as I mentioned before, they want to bill the job as soon as all of the direct labor in done. The timing for mail delivery is completely at the control of the USPS. :confused:
(There is a whole industry that tracks mail delivery with sometimes pretty sophisticated delivery checking methods. Catalog delivery in the mail is often critical to time with store sales, but that is another story.)

NEWSSTAND DISTRIBUTION

The copies of the magazines destined for the newsstand do not get a label but are sorted into packages of varying quantities according to the resellerseller requirements. These usually, but not always, are sent to a magazine distribution company that can distribute cost effectively because they group magazines from a number of printers that are sending magazines to the same reseller locations. Most often these are sent out from the magazine distribution company by over the road truck and these companies are pretty efficient. They arrive at various cities and are futher redistributed to the reseller, along with a number of other magazines. These companies don't want to warehouse these magazines so they need to get them to the reseller as fast as possible, in keeping with the magazine's "on sale" date.

There are a number of marketing strategies involved in magazine newsstand selling but these are usually limited to magazines that have print quantities in the hunderds of thousands.

CONCLUSION

This is the normal way that most magazines are distributed. It is also the most cost efficient way, overall.

If the AAW were to mail some copies by first class mail it would probably require a special addition to the above distribution scheme. This means that some of these magazines would likely have to be put into an envelope, of some sort, labeled and have postage applied. For most printers this would be an off line operation because of the small number of copies involved. It also is likely that it would be a hand operation, as opposed to a high speed machine operation. Whenever hand operations are involved it usually means additional expense. The first class postage would also be more than 2nd class publication postage. However, the postage could be the least expensive part of mailing a magazine by first class mail.

DISCLAIMER

This information is from the deep recesses of my memory and is at least 8 years old. I am not in any way involved with Ovid Bell Press. I am NOT an AAW spokesman and I only share this information of my own volition for those who might want to understand a little about the distribution process. (The printing manufacturing process is much more interesting than distribution. Sort of like turning is more interesting than the finishing, for some people, but it must all get done to be completed correctly. The AAW has to have the USPS do some of the finishing.) Specific systems and processes might (probably) have changed since I retired from the printing industry but the general principle would be the same.

Clem

Website
www.woodturner.org
Mark - thanks for the postage estimate. $10 just in postage costs is a lot. Current annual membership cost is $40 total, and includes other benefits.

Clem - thanks for the insights of how traditional magazines are printed and processed. Sounds like an involved process.

I'll still bring this up with the committee. There are not a lot of people involved. I think Carl Voss only has one other person helping him with graphics, and he produces the rest of the magazine. Pretty impressive to me.

Additional Info to Clem's post. Only a reseller who is a large bulk purchaser like a book store, newsstand, or grocery where they get a few each of a lot of different magazines, would use a local magazine distribution service. Deliveries to smaller stores, such as a hobby or specialty store, are bundled by quantity ordered by each reseller and drop shipped, usually via UPS or FedEx. To save on UPS charges they are sometimes bulked trucked to regional terminals before being dropped off to the carrier.

JimQ

Website
www.woodturner-russ.com
Jeff,
It might be wise to not post the shipping date of the magazine. Sometimes there is bliss in not knowing something. Since the AAW Journal isn't displayed on any newstand in North Idaho, I get it when I get it, and didn't know the difference until I started seeing these messages every month on the Internet. Mine came today.

It has always been a fact of life that the newsstands and stores get their copies of the magazines ahead of the subscriber. The larger the circulation, the less the difference because the farther down the delivery chain the bundle from the printer can be dropped. The weekly news magazines have compressed their delivery to where the difference is only 2 days early in the airports, and 1 day almost everywhere else. The Wall Street Journal has same day delivery, but they ship by Fed-X. and you pay a price for that.

Last edited:
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Clem really knows his stuff.

A club I belong to has handled it's monthly mailing for, well, nearly 40 years. We have members all over, we have people that pay the extra for first class, we have non-US subscribers and the bulk of the people get theirs via 3rd class.

Non-US, get stuffed in an envelope, the mailing label affixed and correct postage affixed.

US-First Class get stamps over the 3rd class permit number and a stamp (just above the mailing label) that says "1st Class".

The third class get bundled as Clem discussed.

Only the members do all the work.

That is until next month, when we switch to a system like the AAW now uses, as decreed by the national board. Locally we figure the additional costs are going to reduce us from our 14 issues a year (12 monthly plus 2 special), to 12 monthly issues.

TTFN
Ralph

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
My issue came on the 23rd, which was a pleasant surprise BUT it must have been at the top of the pallet--there's some damage from the binding straps which didn't make me too happy.

BTW, it says my issue is printed by Colorfx Inc, Des Moines, IA so there must be multiple printers.

Website
www.woodturner.org
We've tried different printers. This last issue was printed by ColorFX.

My issue also got damaged, which hasn't happened in the past. I'm flattening the bent pages under a pile of magazines.

I thought about this issue over the past 2 days. I'm not sure how much difference it makes if first class postage is an option. If we wanted the whole of the membership to get it 10 days earlier, we would just rework the entire magazine schedule to be 10 days earlier.

Then after multiple cycles of complaints and rescheduling we would end up getting each issue 4 months before the date on the cover. I can't remember which magazine I was getting (maybe Home Theater), but it used to arrive at my house 2 months prior to the date on the front (i.e. arrive Feb, with an April cover date). Maybe they had a similar issue.

I've noticed that there are a bunch of them still like that. The Dell Puzzle magazines are predated 2 months, and the ones that come out every 2 months have a pull date in the second week of the month before the date.

JimQ

Website
www.woodturner.org
I corresponded with the publications committee. In general, we do not have a lot of options because our production levels (~13,000 copies) are comparatively low.

The AAW uses the same economical rate most publications use. This rate allows the USPS 10 business days for delivery. Most magazine retailers have copies faster than individual subscribers as this is the norm across the entire publishing industry.
  • The AAW is mailing at $0.333 currently. The rate will go up to $0.351 after Jan. 8
  • It costs $1.98 ($2.21 in envelope) to mail a journal first class. Rates will increase January 8 approximately 5.5 percent ($2.07 and $2.31 respectively).

To generalize this discussion, let's say it would cost $10 more to mail the AW Journal first class. It would arrive at your house 7 or 8 days earlier than it currently does. Are you willing to pay that?

Consider the subscription cost for Time or Newsweek. Divide by 52. Then, imagine the journal printed on paper you can read through to get postage weight dropped to a minimum. The AW Journal is printed on higher quality paper, so the postage is higher.

Publications with a large circulation rely on hefty advertising rates and lots of ad pages to cover some postage costs. The AAW is not in this class since we have comparatively low circulation. Our ads are relatively few, and targeted at woodturners. We do not solicit or accept ads which are outside the realm of our organization (i.e. no vitamin ads or automobile ads). While some of our postage costs come from ads, the rest comes from membership fees.

On the other hand, if every member signed up one new memberâ€â€thus doubling the AAW sizeâ€â€we would be looking pretty and may have other options available. That would put our print run at about 30,000.

Does seem like every quarter we go through this. The last issue took me over three weeks, the two before that took more than 5 weeks each. I don't really care when it arrives but I wish every member got theirs about the same time. I hate reading about how great an issue is for weeks from other members before I get mine. :cool: In the summer issue their was an article that I was really looking forward to, so a friend in another state scanned the article and e-mailed it to me in .pdf format. I had it that way for almost two weeks before mine arrived. That time difference in delivery is what puzzles me, I not comparing a store to mine but comparing member to member. I finally just decided that I have better things to worry about so it's not a big deal any more.

BTW, thanks Clem for the explaination of the process. Won't get my magazine here any faster but at least I had something interesting to read until it does get here. :cool2:

M

mkart

Additional $10 fee for postage!

If I were to pay an additional $10 a year on my membership I would much prefer that go to the organization rather than the post office. The $10 could benefit the EOG program or go towards making the magazine even better. Definetely would not want it to go to the USPS because I am impatient, which (BTW) I am. Lets just all wait and enjoy it when we do get it. After all the the few weeks we spend waiting now does not compare with the years of enjoyment the magazine will provide after we receive it. :)
Matt

Gripe session

Let's face it guys everyone likes to have something to gripe about. Its fun to have a pissin contest to see who gets theirs the latest. BTW I still haven't got mine.

Vernon

With all the attention this subject seems to get 4 times a year, I'd expect each issue to contain a set of contenders for the Nobel Prize for Lit or at least for a Pulitzer. Alas, I know that, while the articles will be well written and illustrated, such will not be the case.

No, I haven't received mine either. :eek: :eek:

Jeff,

Is there any way the publication committee, printer and USPS could put their heads together and give us a date that if we have not received by we should notifiy the office to get another copy sent out? No - I have not received mine and my wife is tired of me calling her at the farm and asking after the mail runs!! :( Personally a date when all should be delivered would be more important to knowing if my copy was lost and I needed to bother our headquarters and get a replacement.

Also, let our committee know if they were not doing such a good job we would not care if it ever came!!! :D

John - you did not kill that mule after he delivered yours did you???? :mad: :D

Wilford

M

mkart

Soon after Dec 1

The home page says we should all have them soon after Dec 1. I actually got mine early last time compared to others and are currently still waiting.
Matt

When Will It Arrive?

I am happy with delivery times as they are, and at the current cost. After all, it is new info when it is delivered, in 3 days or 10. Ours was delivered on Monday.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Wilford

Matt (aka mkart) is correct that the expected arrival date is soon after Dec 1. So those of us who have already received this issue are lucky! I would say that if you have not received your copy within 2 weeks of the expected delivery date then you can start worrying. That would be about Dec 15 or so, for this issue.

By the way this issue is one of the best ones yet! (I probably shouldn't say that or else it will increase the anticipation). Lots of color and some good articles for both beginners and advanced turners.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Jeff Jilg said:
Wilford

Matt (aka mkart) is correct that the expected arrival date is soon after Dec 1. So those of us who have already received this issue are lucky! I would say that if you have not received your copy within 2 weeks of the expected delivery date then you can start worrying. That would be about Dec 15 or so, for this issue..

Jeff, I hope I'm misunderstanding you, but you are saying we shouldn't get worried about getting the publication until 1 month, after it was mailed?

It was mailed 16 Nov, right?

Sorry, but if the above is true, one month to get an item through the US Mail, is weeks too long.

Try to remember that magazines are shipped as third class bulk. Delivery time totally depends on how far upm the USPS chain the bundle gets dropped. A small PO will not be getting a bundle, they will get individual issues from a bulk mail center up the line. The magazines leave the printer in a semi, bulk packed for larger USPS distribution centers around the country. Departure from those centers depend upon volume going out. Third class travels as space is available. That's why the mailing rate is cheaper. When it gets to the smaller Dist center, it again gets broken down and goes down the line as space is available.......

If you live in a larger city, chances are that you will get it sooner than if you live in a small town. You are connected directly to the large dist center.

Here in Glendale, we are 2 steps from the Dist center. A smaller town like Pinetop is 5 steps.

JimQ

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
G'day I got my copy today here in Australia. Had a quick look through over lunch and once I get of the forum will have a proper look.

Our copy usually comes in a plastic bag but this time there was no wrapping . Luckily no damage.

Just my 2 bobs worth , dont put out that the magazine is getting delivered till your expected due date as in this case the 1st of december and that will shorten this thread.

Great magazine congratulations to the crew behind the scenes that put together a very much wanted magazine.

I'm beginning to see a trend

I too am an amateur radio operator. I have noticed that there are at least two others in this thread that haven't received their copy yet. That makes three of us.

Conclusion: If you are a ham, your copy gets delivered later than real people :)

Clem
w1cvw

Clem Wixted said:
I too am an amateur radio operator. I have noticed that there are at least two others in this thread that haven't received their copy yet. That makes three of us.

Conclusion: If you are a ham, your copy gets delivered later than real people :)

Clem
w1cvw

That explains it!

My next-door neighbor's a ham, and I have a CB radio in my garage (somewhere)

CQ, CQ :D

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Clem Wixted said:

Clem
w1cvw

Well I guess that explains why I am usually the last person on the planet to get my copy (which still isn't here yet), since people often accuse me of being the biggest ham they have ever met! :eek:

Bill

Website
www.woodturner.org
N7BSN - yes that is correct. The anticipated arrival time is Dec 1 in this case, and people should wait until 2 weeks after that to report potentially lost issues. As explained in another post the magazine is sent 3rd class mail and that is low priority.

Ham

I see there are more hams here than I realized. I wonder if you guys operate more than I do now days? Have been a ham since 1961 but now I prefer turning. In fact I'm taking my tower down to enlarge my shop.

Vernon

Jeff Jilg said:
Wilford

By the way this issue is one of the best ones yet! (I probably shouldn't say that or else it will increase the anticipation). Lots of color and some good articles for both beginners and advanced turners.

Just had to make the wait worse didn't you!!! :rolleyes: :D :D

My wife says I am not patient - I just used the farm radios and asked again today if it was in the mail! :( It does help Jeff to know not to get worried till about 2 weeks after your posted date. Like others, mine was early last time and I am paying for it this time!!

I'll repeat that our publication committee should take our impatience as a high compliment!!

Wilford

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Hams

wa5fdf said:
I see there are more hams here than I realized. I wonder if you guys operate more than I do now days? Have been a ham since 1961 but now I prefer turning. In fact I'm taking my tower down to enlarge my shop.

Vernon

Not much, about once per year I check into the local traffic-net, and it's that time

Back