• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wire brush as a texturing tool

Hello All:

I would like to try my hand at texturing using a wire brush, mostly working between centres. My local hardware store has a wide variety of different designs of brushes for power tools and several hand brushes too of different strength.

Can anyone suggest what type to start with?

If the hardness of the wood is a factor, I mostly work with Western maple.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John

I have only done a little texturing with wire brushes. I wouldn't think the maple would do well as there isn't much difference across the grains, and rather than 'weathering' to raise the grain, it would just scratch. Some thing like cedar, fir, or ash would wear better. I used a wire wheel on my little grinder to raise the grain on some end grain pieces of wenge once that I was using to make feathers. Worked really well.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I do quite a bit of that. It's hard to tell you what kind of wheel to buy. They all differ. Flexible wires such as brass to a mild texture or simply soften edges. Really stiff wires cut rapidly. What I do is buy those cheapies that you find at mini markets where all tools are $1. Or get some from Harbour Freight. Each wheel works differently so you have to play. I like using them in a drill or drill press. If you use them in a Drill chuck on the lathe you need a drawbar to keep the chuck from flying out. You can try going with the grain or across it. You get a different look each way. Running with the grain usually works better. After you use the wheel for a while the wires kind of get bent in the direction opposite the cut. A tip I learned from John Jordan is to run the wheel backwards against the grinding wheel. It will create a burr on the cutting side just like it does on a scraper and your wheel will cut like new or even better.
The Cross in the photo below was done with a wire brush.

Attachments

• Silver coind mirror s.jpg
    Silver coind mirror s.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 94
John. I think BB is referring to eastern maple! Worth experimenting with our maple. One word of caution when using any wire device is to use face protection. Those wires can come loose!!!
Ron.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Any wood that has a strong summer winter grain will burn and wire brush interestingly. Soft woods wire brush better than hard wood but both have interesting patterns. Practice on scrap of course.

Thanks guys

I think I will forget wire brushing the maple work piece that I have on the lathe at the moment. I will start with something softer and hopefully easier.
Next up will be a chunk of yellow cedar. In preparing it on the band saw, I'll get some offcuts to experiment with before committing to decorating the platter/bowl. If all goes well I may graduate to western maple later.

John

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like Mike said don't experiment on a piece you have worked hours and hours on.

I often try things on small pieces I can turn in a few minutes.
Balls are great for practicing a texture.
I can turn one in a few minutes try the finishes, surface textures, etc.
Balls show the side, face, and end grain

If is works the ball makes a nice finished piece
If it doesn't I can sand off or turn off the surface to a new smaller ball.
Or scrap the ball.

Back