Wolverine with 6" grinder

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Brian King, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Brian King

Brian King

I finally broke and spent the money on a Wolverine grinding jig after all this time. The reason I actually quit turning a couple years ago was because I couldn't sharpen and I ruined a spindle gouge trying to do it by hand. Anyway, my grinder is a Grizzly 6" which I plan to keep because I've already spent WAY past my permitted budget. My question is really about the Vari-grind. I've read several articles that say to extend it 2" on every grinder but I've read some articles that say on a 6" to only have 1-3/4" of tool extended. It's very confusing but I'd like to have it figured out by the time it arrives on Saturday. Please help.

2. Brian King

Brian King

Nevermind. I Googled the instructions, which I probably should've done first, and Oneway says 1-3/4" is optimal.

3. Dean Center

Dean Center

Brain,
    There are a number of recipes for setting up the jig. When I was in the same situation and researching this subject a few years ago, there was a recurring commentary that the Oneway instructions were confusing and didn't produce the results the user wanted. Kirk DeHeer has a recipe that works and Doug Thompson has a recipe that works, though they are not quite the same. If memory serves, there is some support for raising a 6" grinder up so that the centerline is at a particular height above the bases. I'm sorry I can't offhand recall the number.

Brian King likes this.
  4. john lucas

john lucas

It dosen't matter. What does matter is repeatability. You need to be able to set the tool to the same length every time. I use 1 3/4 myself. Make your self one of the adaptors that I made for setting the V arm distance. Here is my video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbggxj2kgyc

Mark Hepburn and Brian King like this.
  5. Brian King

Brian King

Dean, thank you for the direction towards Doug Thompson. I checked his website he lists some suggested angles to use. Before I was completely in the dark. John, the video is great. The shopmade jigs are an excellent idea. Coming with Wolverine are 3 Raptors that cost me $9 each. Not gonna drive me to bankruptcy, but I would've made them myself if I knew how.

6. Brian King

Brian King

The instructions say the centerline of the grinding wheels should be elevated to approximately 6-1/4" to 6-1/2". I'll have to go out to the shed when I get a moment and check if my base is the right height. If not, I'll build a new one. The base is not shown in the other thread.

7. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

The height of the grinder (center of wheel) is essential for the Raptor set-up tools to be accurate.

Brian King likes this.
  8. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    The position of the woulverine tracks is important.
    Take. The time to raise the grinder if needed and center the tracks.
    Here are the setup diagram and guidance.

image.png

Brian King likes this.
  9. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    The extension of the tool and the arm angle for the Varigrind enable you create different shaped grinds. The best way to learn is to use the jig and experiment with different adjustments.

Brian King likes this.