Wood blanks sources

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Fadi Zeidan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

I understand that most prefer to find free wood, however for some, that is not an option. I'm listing the places I get my blanks from and I will try to keep this list updated as I find new good sources.

Some sources sell round stock, others sell square stock. When buying square stock, make sure you have a way to round them such as bandsaw or buy smaller stock. If you have midi with 12" the max you should buy is 8.5"x8.5" which would yield 12" clearance. 7"x7" would give you 10" clearance (right angle triangle calculation).

Got Wood?
    Good source for domestic wood, I like the fact that they have kiln dried woods. They keep updating the inventory and wood types change from time to time. I like the fact that their blanks are round.

Woodturning Blanks 4 You
    Another good source of domestic wood. I don't find kiln dried wood, but they do have nice selection at good prices as well. They also have round blanks.

eBay
    eBay has a section for woodturning wood supplies. I usually filter the list too but here is a direct link to that category

Green Valley Wood Products (thanks Mike Johnson)
    Green Valley sells various type of wood and is active seller on eBay as well. Their stock is square not round

North Woods (thanks Mike Johnson)
    Has a good selection of highly figured wood and burls etc. They also travel the country and make deliveries to wood turning clubs. Nice selection, square stock

Big Monk Lumber (thanks John Lucas)
    Has some nice collection of exotic wood, keep an eye on their stock. Square stock

Griffin Exotic Wood (thanks Owen Lowe)
    Has nice collection of spindle and pen blanks, I saw few square bowl blanks but mostly spindles.

Cook Woods (thanks Odie)
    Has nice collection of exotic wood, you can find stock for turning, lumber, and other uses. Square stock

Johnson Wood Products
    Johnson offers verity of turning woods, but they do not list their stocks online. I ordered few walnut spindles and bowl blanks and they sent me additional small samples of different woods to try out. You can email or call them and see what you want. Good prices. Square stock.

West Penn Hardwoods (thanks Jamie Straw)
    West Penn caries both domestic and exotic bowl and spindle blanks, they do have nice collection and you can sign up for their newsletter and get in on some sale events. They do provide free shipping price point depends on type of wood you buy. Square stock

Case Woodworking
    Sells round blanks, site doesn't show the inventory but sample pricing is provided. Never used them, little pricier than other sites based on their sample pricing.

Exotic Wood USA
    Has large list of wood species, both spindle and bowls. They also have burl blanks. Stock is square

Bad Dogs Burl Source
    As the name says, they sells Australian and US burls. They have large size stocks, odd shaped pieces

Wood Turningz
    Contains a collection of square blanks, pen, spindle, and bowl blanks.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    odie, Regis Galbach and Mark Hepburn like this.
  2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

http://www.gvwp.net/

Green Valley Wood Products in Indiana has provided good service and has cut custom sized blanks for me.

Fadi Zeidan and Mark Hepburn like this.
  3. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

www.nwfiguredwoods.com has a good selection of highly figured wood and burls etc.
    They also travel the country and make deliveries to wood turning clubs.

4. john lucas

john lucas

5. John Taliaferro

John Taliaferro

I have a lot of logs walnut,cherry, elm ,oak ,ect . If your close look it up in phone book .

6. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    I have been extremely happy with Griffin Exotic Wood (http://www.exoticwood.biz/). I can count on them to provide an accurate description and rely on their quality-grading scale. The website is pretty horrible but the grading scale makes up for it for me.

7. odie

odie

Of course, there is always eBay, but be very careful what you are bidding on there. Make absolutely sure the photo you see is what you are buying. I've been burnt more than once buying wood on eBay.

Cook Woods has been a source of some nice pieces:
    http://www.cookwoods.com/

Fadi Zeidan likes this.
  8. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

Thank you all, I've updated the list with the latest suggestions. Really appreciate it!

9. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Hard to believe how many companies sell wood blanks, almost as if this stuff grows on trees. :)

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  10. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

West Penn Hardwoods is a place that's been recommended to me by local turners. Especially good if you get on their email list and take advantage of their announced sales (when it's turning stock that's on sale). They carry both domestics and exotics, spindle stock and bowl stock. I got my first small order last month, and everything looked good. There's a free shipping deal too, but I don't remember what it was -- probably $100. https://westpennhardwoods.com/default.aspx

Fadi Zeidan likes this.
  11. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I am in dire need of large clear quarter or rift sawn hard (sugar) maple blanks for my basket illusion pieces and nobody seems to sell anything larger than about 12 X 12. I am out of big pieces and have been searching in vain for 16 inch diameter and larger, 3½" to 4" thick. Apparently there isn't much large stuff sold online.

12. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

Bill, you could email or Johnson wood products, I forgot to list them. They don't list their stock on their site but they carry hard maple and usually have various sizes. I ordered once from them, but my preference is round stock so haven't in a while. I believe their blanks are dry, but not sure if it all is.

http://www.johnsonwoodproducts.com/carving__turning_wood

Bill Boehme likes this.
  13. Clifton C

Clifton C

Bill Boehme likes this.
  14. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Bill try Keim lumber http://www.keimlumber.com/ . I was looking for curly maple this year for a Clewes demo we had planned (fell thru because of flight problem) and they had some 12 inch that was beautiful and priced better than anyone else.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  15. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Bill,

You might also call Bob and Linda Cutler in Oregon. They're really nice people and Bob seems to always be able to help. I usually talk to Linda and tell her what I'm looking for. Bob is a turner too, by the way.

541-922-0432

Their website: http://www.rjcutler.com/

Bill Boehme likes this.
  16. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Bill Boehme likes this.
  17. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the great tip. While looking through his turning wood I saw one of your very beautiful finial boxes. You really have a great eye for form and proportions.

18. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Thanks Bill!

19. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

Added woodturningz.com to the list