wood chips under my DVR bed

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by ebrannon, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ebrannon

ebrannon

I recently added a used Nova DVR XP to my shop and am pleased with its performance. I built my own bench, but one issue is wood chips collecting between the rails. Takes a fair amount of effort to continually vacuum them out at the end of a turning session (I usually work with green wood, so I am concerned about moisture).

One suggestion was to use hardwood spacers under the bolt locations to raise the bed 3/4" off the bench.

Any other suggestions?

2. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

3. n7bsn

n7bsn

Home Page:
    I lifted my DVR a "full" 2x (1-1/2 inches) and it's still sometimes not enough... Still thinking about raising it another 2x in height, but haven't yet

4. Jim Killen

Jim Killen

I would go way more than 3/4" in order to provide sufficient clearance. I'd go at least 3". I added 3/4" to my DVR, because I had a height problem and couldn't go higher. It's still a major pain to clear chips.

5. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

In lieu of building an entire new bench, like Jim, I'd raise it high enough to allow placement of a sloping ramp (plywood or sheet metal), to encourage the chips to fall. The ramp could be hinged at the front, to allow access to the underside of the bed for whatever purpose.

If the resulting height of the lathe axis is too high, either:
    1) Add a raised floor to walk on, or
    2) Cut the legs shorter. I did that to a drafting table many years ago to facilitate access to the upper reaches of the drawing board; the boss was briefly annoyed, until I demonstrated it was better that way.

There's nothing unique about this problem or solution. My lathe (not DVR, BTW) has an open underside, with Visqueen "ramps" for chip drainage - only partially successful at that.

6. Carole Valentine

Carole Valentine

Home Page:
    I'm not real sure why the Teknatool folks designed the XP that way. Torsional strength, perhaps? Maybe they "assumed" that all of them would be mounted on the cast iron leg sets which allows the chips to fall through? If that's the case, they should maybe rethink their assumptions because chip build-up is a problem on a bench. My DVR (Predecessor to the XP) has maybe an inch of clearance but even then it can be a pita to clear the shavings sometimes. I don't want to put it on blocks because it would be too tall and I don't want to be stumbling over a platform. I use a wooden backscratcher to rake the shavings out, but with the XP you don't have that option. I suppose you could build a bench that has a cutout below the ways (unless you want drawers in your bench) Sorry, not much help here...just sympathizing.:(

7. Steven Antonucci

Steven Antonucci

Don't you have the red chip deflector installed? I have an older Nova 3000, and the red sheet metal deflector does a pretty good job of moving the shavings down to the floor.

When I am done, I don't vacuum them, but instead blow them to the floor with the compressor hose for sweeping. Takes about 2 quick shots of air to clear the ways.

S

8. ebrannon

ebrannon

Can you send me an image of the deflector?

Steve, mine does not have a deflector. Is this something you fabricated? If so, do you have an image?

This would save some issues with heigth of the center, since I carefully made my bench so the lathe center was elbow heigth. If I raise it 2 or 3 inches, it may be less stable as well as too tall.

3/4" is doable, but as some mentioned, it is not high enough to easily remove chips and shavings.

It is not a big problem, but takes an extra 10 minutes with a vacuum attachment to get it cleaned up after a turning session. I do not like leaving wet green shavings on the lathe.

e

9. odie

odie

..........e.........

I don't have the problem you do, but like CV, am just following along for interest's sake.

As you can see there is plenty of space for chips to drop through my bedways.

Since you don't really want to raise up your dvr for ergonomics reasons, have you considered just making some sort of removable plug(s) to set on/between the bedways? I can conceive of such a thing being pretty easy to make. That way the chips would need to go on the outside of the bedways, instead of through the gap between them.......

good luck on this.....

ooc

Attached Files:

10. robert davis

robert davis

i made cardboard shields held in position by rare earth magnets.seeral lengths dependin on position of tool rest.

11. john black

john black

i see you use the magnetic bars to hold/store ur gouges. doesn't that eventually magnatize them causing them to "drag" across the rest? i wanted to store mine that way but haven't yet for this possible reason.

12. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

Nope. I can feel a little bit of draw if I'm touching and lifting the very end of the tool, where things are strongest. But that's just down. I'm not cutting any lines of force to "drag" anything, and the weight of the tool plus my hand over it makes a fraction of a gram's worth of attraction inconsequential. I certainly don't notice them.

13. John Kaner

John Kaner

Ed,
    Easy solution would be to redesign the stand where there is a gap under the lathe. This way the height is set for you and you can easily reach under and pluck out all the noodles... Looks like fresh pasta...

14. Randy Smith

Randy Smith

I used a 1-1/2" block of oak square. My crevasse tool on my shop vac cleans it all right out.

15. Ian Thorn

Ian Thorn

My 3000 is on 100 by 100 blocks the stand is 500 wide no problems cleaning and you can place tools in use under the ways. you could rip a strip of mdf or wood the size of the gap in the ways and tack some thin mdf on top as said you may need several to suite your need's.I use this to pace things on while sanding or polishing.

Ian