• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood suggestions for salad forks..?

Looking for some experiences here....

Salad forks to be bare wood that would be least likely to react with salad oils. Or, if there is a recommended food safe coating that'd be okay too..

From wood I currently have the choices are: white oak, red oak, eastern hard maple, walnut or sapele. What would your choice be?

Thanks.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Of your list, go with the closed-grain hard maple.

Alternate choices for the PacNW would be Western Big Leaf Maple or fruit woods (cherry, apple, plum, etc.). I made a set from Sycamore this past summer and they worked great.

Since they’ll be washed after uses, make sure you raise the grain with water a couple of times as you finish up the sanding/smoothing.

Looking for some experiences here....

Salad forks to be bare wood that would be least likely to react with salad oils. Or, if there is a recommended food safe coating that'd be okay too..

From wood I currently have the choices are: white oak, red oak, eastern hard maple, walnut or sapele. What would your choice be?

Thanks.
maple, Teak, Tigerwood, ebony, rosewood

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Maple is probably your best bet. I have made sets from sapele and they sell well for me and never had any complaints or returns. Cherry is another great wood for wooden utensils. I would think white oak would be good also As to a finish I always use Mahoney's walnut oil the same finish I use on all my utility bowls. When they dry buff them through the first two steps (beal buffing system) ending with white diamond. The close grain woods will develop a wonderful low gloss sheen.

Last edited:
Back