Wood Tap for Live Centre Jam Chuck

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by James Lee, Jan 11, 2016.

1. James Lee

James Lee

I want to tap a Jam Chuck so that it will screw onto my Oneway Live Centre. The Live Centre has screw threads that are listed as 3/4" TPI 10. Does anyone know where a wood tap like this can be purchased? I live in Ottawa, ON
    Thanks,Jim

2. Dwight R Rutherford

Dwight R Rutherford

McMaster Carr , MSC or Enco should have taps that are the size you are looking for.

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    While your waiting for the tap to arrive,
    You can use a pressure fit.
    I use a pressure fit all the time for ball turning centers. I have a slightly oversized hole and 2 turns of masking tape gives a perfect fit.

Al

4. James Lee

James Lee

Thanks for the help regarding the tap and also the use of masking tape

I looked at the web sites that were suggested, but I wasn't sure which tap would fit my Oneway Live Centre. They don't seem to have the same designation. Does any #10 tap fit Oneway's description of their Live Centre as 3/4 " # 10 TPI ? Is there a difference between North American and other tap size designations ?

If it wasn't too time consuming, perhaps someone would be willing to pick the correct tap for me and I would order it. I don't mean to make excuses, but my disability from having a stroke leaves me a little unsure sometimes.
    Gratefully,
    Jim

5. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor

6. James Lee

James Lee

Thanks again. The current exchange rate in Canada plus shipping costs make these even more expensive. You really got a bargain.
    Kind regards, Jim

7. Dwight R Rutherford

Dwight R Rutherford

8. Grant Wilkinson

Grant Wilkinson

I bought a 3/4 x 10 bottoming tap at Legere Industrial on Morrison Drive in Ottawa. They are just past Lee Valley off Pinecrest. You may find one at Ottawa Fasteners on Robertson Road, too.

Before I bought the tap, I took a 3/4 x 10 bolt, filed a few grooves along its length, and use that as a tap. It was only good for wood, of course, but it worked quite well.

9. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    3/4†x 10tpi is the correct size — I got mine at my local hardware store (Ace). Home Depot also seems to carry them. It’s not an unusual size… and seem to cost about $15-18. I don’t know if Ottawa has Ace or Home Depot, but someplace has got to have them.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=30690166

10. James Lee

James Lee

Thank you to everyone for this thread. I purchased the tap on eBay for $5 US. Now I just have to see what the additional exchange, shipping and tariff adds up to. It has been so great to get help from you all on this. It was very kind. Thanks again.
    Jim Lee - Valley Woodturners, Ottawa.

11. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I bought one at my local Ace Hardware. I probably paid more than $5. :rolleyes:

12. John K Jordan

John K Jordan

Jim,

It might be useful to get a tap with a "bottom chamfer", made to tap threads close to the bottom of a hole. Standard taps have a longer chamfer on the end to help get the hole started when cutting threads in metal. Using a standard tap may require drilling a deeper hole to get enough full threads to suit you. I have ground the end off taps and then ground a short chamfer to make a bottom tap. (Don't let the metal get hot when grinding)

Fortunately, cutting threads in wood is pretty easy (compared with steel!)

JKJ