• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woods that expell "dirt" when turned

Hi-Thanks everyone for the help with 2 piece walking sticks-I am making progress. I will explain the results when I find the best way to join 2 18" "Sticks".

I was just turning some AFRICAN LEADWOOD and it reminds me of CHECHEN-when turned, there is a cloud of DIRT!!! Does the tree encompass/absorb the actual soil? Perhaps I should ask a Botanist... I just find it very odd to say the least. Anyone have any ideas?

Dirt or just dust? Dirt is pretty much silicon oxide the world around, and it will regrind your edge for you in quick order. Dust might not.

The wood in a tree, while growing, will encapsulate any foreign objects. Dirt high in the trunk would be unusual; in a root ball, almost guaranteed - pebbles, too. A chat with a botanist might provide some enlightenment, with the specimen in hand.

Most sawyers refuse to cut non-plantation trees, without indemnification for blade replacement. Arborists often find all manner of inclusions - barbed wire, horseshoes, railroad spikes, and the like. Such sabotage is a favorite trick of environmental terrorists.

And what he said.

Dirt in wood

Haveing over 20 years experience in processing wood in the Amazon I can assure you that there are several species here that will have soil pockets in the logs. Real dirt. I dont know how or why but they do exist. My guess would be first that it was inscect born and deposited in growing trees and other than than that I have no idea.

In addition several woods such as Black Ipe have an extremely high silica content thruout the wood and when working the wood sparks actually fly.

Last edited:
Back