Woods that expell "dirt" when turned

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by JAMES L FAY, Aug 10, 2010.

1. JAMES L FAY

JAMES L FAY

Hi-Thanks everyone for the help with 2 piece walking sticks-I am making progress. I will explain the results when I find the best way to join 2 18" "Sticks".

I was just turning some AFRICAN LEADWOOD and it reminds me of CHECHEN-when turned, there is a cloud of DIRT!!! Does the tree encompass/absorb the actual soil? Perhaps I should ask a Botanist... I just find it very odd to say the least. Anyone have any ideas?

2. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

Dirt or just dust? Dirt is pretty much silicon oxide the world around, and it will regrind your edge for you in quick order. Dust might not.

3. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

The wood in a tree, while growing, will encapsulate any foreign objects. Dirt high in the trunk would be unusual; in a root ball, almost guaranteed - pebbles, too. A chat with a botanist might provide some enlightenment, with the specimen in hand.

Most sawyers refuse to cut non-plantation trees, without indemnification for blade replacement. Arborists often find all manner of inclusions - barbed wire, horseshoes, railroad spikes, and the like. Such sabotage is a favorite trick of environmental terrorists.

And what he said.

4. Grant Wilkinson

Grant Wilkinson

If you search on "cane" on the Lee Valley site, you will see a few different couplers to join the two pieces.

5. Jim King

Jim King

Dirt in wood

Haveing over 20 years experience in processing wood in the Amazon I can assure you that there are several species here that will have soil pockets in the logs. Real dirt. I dont know how or why but they do exist. My guess would be first that it was inscect born and deposited in growing trees and other than than that I have no idea.

In addition several woods such as Black Ipe have an extremely high silica content thruout the wood and when working the wood sparks actually fly.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010