• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning in New York

Website
www.vinnyluciani.com
Hi Atle
I grew up on Long Island and recently went back to visit. I brought a few pieces and headed to Huntington to talk to a few galleries. I learned that one should send info first online with as many references, shows, and accolades as possible before you go. Try to get an appointment.
Had I done this, I would have greatly increased my chances. I saw it as a learning experience, and there are thousands of galleries across the country anyway. I think galleries generally are a relationship building exorcise. And they require maintenance.
I was too expensive for one, and another higher end owner refused to look around the wall of her office to even take a peek, even though I live 1800 miles away...refused to even accept a card with my web site address!
It is not a judgement of the work at all. It is a matter of protocol, and the fact that many many "crafters" walk in from the street with work to sell that dosen`t rise to the label of "art" in the particular owners mind.

galleries

Hi Atle
I grew up on Long Island and recently went back to visit. I brought a few pieces and headed to Huntington to talk to a few galleries. I learned that one should send info first online with as many references, shows, and accolades as possible before you go. Try to get an appointment.
Had I done this, I would have greatly increased my chances. I saw it as a learning experience, and there are thousands of galleries across the country anyway. I think galleries generally are a relationship building exorcise. And they require maintenance.
I was too expensive for one, and another higher end owner refused to look around the wall of her office to even take a peek, even though I live 1800 miles away...refused to even accept a card with my web site address!
It is not a judgement of the work at all. It is a matter of protocol, and the fact that many many "crafters" walk in from the street with work to sell that dosen`t rise to the label of "art" in the particular owners mind.

Vince-not sure he was meaning to sell things-, but to visit???? Gretch

They are in Brooklyn, two stops from Manhattan. Their website has very good directions.

Back