• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning in Zurich, Switzerland?

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
In one week I will be heading to Zurich, Switzerland to attend a meeting and am wondering if anyone knows of woodturning-related museums, groups, tool suppliers, etc. that would be of interest to a woodturner in Zurich. I will try to look at some Swiss 'Drechsler' tools, etc. in a local hardware and tool store where I buy Pfeil carving chisels at great (domestic) prices, but am wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions as to how I could add "woodturning" to my travel plans while I'm there.

Whatever advice that could provided would be very much appreciated!

Rob Wallace

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Hello Ray!

Great to hear from you! I'll have a beer or two for you in Zurich! I hope you're going to the AAW Symposium in Portland next year! This is a beer "Mecca" with many micros abounding! I led a "Beer Tour" on one saturday back in 2000 for the Botanical Society of America - 35 people on one bus touring 7 microbreweries, including having lunch at the Portland Brewing Company where I gave my "Botany of Beer" lecture....should be a great time!

I have e-mailed the sole AAW member residing in Zurich, but have not had a reply - I hope to learn if the Swiss do their turning with any different methods, and to see what turned items are valued as practical and as art in that society.... Hopefully I can ferret out something while I'm there!

I'll talk to you later about your recommendations for digital video cameras.... ...relevant to the forum discussion back in June about the poor quality of some AAW cameras at the Louisville symposium. Hope all is well with you and your kaleidoscopes!

Cheers!

Rob

Back