• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning, my new drug!

Website
saintsreport.com
Hello folks,

Last week my wife and I purchased a new Delta Lathe from Rockler. As you can see from the pictures below, we just had to start turning, so I glued up a couple 2x4s for us to practice on. Here is the little spindle the two of us had the pleasure of turning. It's not much but it is our first little peice of fun.

I cannot believe how much fun this is. I have been into woodworking since 5 but I've never laid hands on a lathe. Then oneday MY WIFE, of all people, asks me if I was planning to buy a lathe.

Lesson to everyone, when your WIFE asks if you are going to buy a tool, the answer is always YES!

Just a short time later and here is our new addiction.

lathe1_sm.JPG

lathe2_sm.JPG

BTW, some of you might already know me from Woodnet. If so, I look forward to chatting with you here too. I live in Lake Dallas, TX and I suppose I'll be joining the local woodturning club, real soon! :D

TEK

Turning addiction

Sgt Beavis said:
Hello folks,

Last week my wife and I purchased a new Delta Lathe from Rockler. As you can see from the pictures below, we just had to start turning, so I glued up a couple 2x4s for us to practice on. Here is the little spindle the two of us had the pleasure of turning. It's not much but it is our first little peice of fun.

I cannot believe how much fun this is. I have been into woodworking since 5 but I've never laid hands on a lathe. Then oneday MY WIFE, of all people, asks me if I was planning to buy a lathe.

Lesson to everyone, when your WIFE asks if you are going to buy a tool, the answer is always YES!

Just a short time later and here is our new addiction.

BTW, some of you might already know me from Woodnet. If so, I look forward to chatting with you here too. I live in Lake Dallas, TX and I suppose I'll be joining the local woodturning club, real soon! :D

Welcome from one addict to another. If you are looking for a 12-step program out of your addiction this isn’t it. :eek: Your spindle looks great for a beginner. Pine and Fir fuzz up when you use dull tools or scraping techniques on them. Your spindle looks pretty clean. You must be making some good cuts. Joining the local AAW chapter is a great idea!. I’ve had a lot of help from my fellow club members. It’s a great place learn technique and get ideas from seeing other peoples work. Plus they are nice people to socialize with.

Welcome Sarge!

I started turning in December 2003, Its been my 'opiate of choice' since then. :D Its only a matter of time before you start scavenging green wood. When ever the city cuts down a maple tree (usually ambrosia), a chunk or two usually ends up in the back of my car. My wife has gotten to the point that she scouts for me as she is ferrying the kids around...

Nice lathe. Its the same one I have. The only issue I have is getting the tail stock to stay put. Usually a belt with the deadblow hammer helps.

GL

Glenn

Back