• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning resources around Leesburg, FL?

I'm down in Leesburg, Florida visiting my dad until just after Xmas. I'm going through dt's and could use a bit of woodturning mojo.

I can't seem to find any local sources for woodturning supplies or local clubs to see about getting some lathe time.

Could anyone send me suggestions? Is there any local wood to the Leesburg, Florida that I should target to take home with me? Along that line, anyone know where I can get my hands on a Stihl chainsaw for a good price down here?

Missing my Stubby and all my wood.....

Yea, I'm leaving Dec. 29, a week or so short of the event. :-(

Supposedly there are "lots of turners" in Leesburg, but I can't find one. Can't find any woodworking stores or anyone who might have access to a lathe.

I knew I should have brought the mini lathe, grinding wheel, tools...

Melissa,
Here's a few places, probably about 45 miles from Leesburg.

Amazon Exotic Hardwoods
328 Commercial Street
Casselberry, Florida 32707
http://www.amazonexotichardwoods.com/

Woodcraft
8155 South US Highway 17-92
Fern Park, FL 32730
(407) 260-5002
this store is considered to be their Orlando area store
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=314

These two establishments are within 1-1.5 miles of each other.

Local woods: camphor, cherry, pecan, hickory, hackberry, maple, oak, elm and more...I'm assuming you drove down since you mentioned you want to buy a saw too?

As far as the Stihl saw goes, it seems you have to search the newspaper for sales since you can only buy them from an authorized dealer and there has to be a few dealers up around Leesburg / Tavares / Eustis area.

Woodturning Resources

Melissa,
I don't know about the clubs up in that area because I live in Delray Beach, about 3 hours south. I can suggest several woods that grow in the area, including Norfolk Island Pine, Eucalyptus and Citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, etc.) If you get into South Florida, there are a lot more like Mahogany, West Indian Rosewood, Sapodilla, Crabwood, Silky Oak and Ear Leaf Acacia. Enjoy!

May I suggest you post this request on the woodnet.net turning forum - you may have better luck there

Just a thought

Robert

I'm down in Leesburg, Florida...I'm going through dt's and could use a bit of woodturning mojo.

I can't seem to find any local sources for woodturning supplies or local clubs to see about getting some lathe time.

Could anyone send me suggestions?.....

Melissa,
Here's another, about 13.7 miles from Leesburg. It's known as The Villages, a retirement community. I know they have a woodworking group which includes woodturners. The Villages has a woodworking shop of some kind. Possibly your father knows someone who lives there and they would be able to get you in.
http://www.thevillages.com/comevisit/lpp.asp

Attachments

• header-home.jpg
    header-home.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
Here's the link to the Villages Woodturner Group. http://www.vwc704.com/vwcturn.htm
On that site they list the following open times:

Woodshop Availability and Closings
The Woodshop is open from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday thru Saturday. It will be closed on Sundays and major holidays.

The Woodshop will be closed as follows:

January 16, 2008 - Certification Training

May 26 - Memorial Day

July 4 - Independence Day

September 1 - Labor Day

November 20 - Thanksgiving

December 24-25 - Christmas

December 31 - January 1, 2009 - New Years

Additional days of certification training will be posted as appropriate for June through December

Attachments

• 809-s001.JPG
    809-s001.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back