• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Schools - Any recommendations

I am a newer turner and am thinking about attending one of the different schools to get some good instruction.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which ones would be better than the others?

There is quite a difference in pricing so I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for any help.

Ben

shool

patrick henry community college school of artisans

they teach it one night a week and i believe they have a week long couse that meets mon thru friday for 8 hours daily????

if interested i can get you more info and telephone to school or instructer :cool2:

Washington IL - Central Illinois Peoria Area
Schools

My vote would be Arrowmont located in Gatlinburg. First class shop, excellent varity of lathes, top notch instructors. Keep is to pick the class that suites your skill level and interest. Here's the link http://arrowmont.org/

You don't mention where your are located, but I have just returned from my second week at Arrowmont - and its 600 miles each way. Did a week last summer with Trent Bosch focusing on bowls and decoration methods and just last week with Ray Key focusing on shape and form. I suspect you will find me there again next year.

Hope that helps.

Try Utah

Ben
I went to Crafts Supply shop in Provo Utah last August for thier Utah 5 course. Five days with new instructor each day. The shop was very well equipted and the instructors were excellent. Especially helpful was the shop assistant, Kirk that helped every day, stayed late to let us finish, and otherwised saved you when you where in over your head. Provo is a beautiful area. I used frequent flier miles to get there and Hilton hotel points to pay for my room so it did not cost as much as it might have if the day job didn't take me away so much.

I took an intermediate class. That definition obviously varied in the minds of other students. Some were outstanding turners while others newbies. It really doesn't matter as the instructor spends individual time with you at the lathe. Newbies also asked the questions that us 'intermediates' thaought we already knew.

Going away to concentrate on your craft for a week provides an amazing jump in your skill and confidence. Well worth the trip and I expect I go again.

Frank

I vote for Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts. I have been twice and have loved it. Great shop. Lots of other crafts/art stuff going on that you get to check on. Best vacation I have ever had was two weeks at Arrowmont with John Jordan & Gail Montgomery as instructors. We had fresh Sugar Maple to turn and the saw dust flew. Great time.
Hugh

Website
www.seantroy.com
The summer workshops at Yavapai Community College in Prescott Arizona are great. This year they have Phil Brennion, John Jordan and I think, Mike Mahoney. They are 3 all day classes each. You can contact Wayne Wolfe through the Prescott Area Woodturners club for exact dates and fee's. I know it is very inexpensive.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
baitbegger said:
patrick henry community college school of artisans
I wasn't able to find this when I went to the Patrick Henry CC site. I even did a search within the College site. I found the School of Craft and Design but saw no classes in turning. Could you give us more information?

Last edited by a moderator:
phcc

the class is taught by terry mitchell, low keyed individual with a lot of patiance, they have 2 midsize delta's lathes and 4 mini jets, they are suppose to increase the delta's they have the wolverine jig for sharpening the tools

the text is "woodturning a foundation course " by keith rowley

the tuition was about $220 with $50 craft fee which all was deductable as contining education deduction

i imagine they are making up schedules now , i should be sent a bulletin when it is set for summer

there is a seperate building and location for the artians classes, probably no secretary and nobody there unless a class is in session :D :D

Last edited:

KEW

If you are a "never done it before" new turner, I would recommend taking a quick one day (or afternoon) course at a local Woodcraft (or wherever - some clubs offer free instruction) first.
You will get more than you can absorb in one day and will have time to let it settle in and get in some practice before the class.
Regardless, a week of immersion in turning is a great opportunity and you will come away with major improvements. :cool2:

Enjoy,
Kurt

class

i had never used a lathe before, and really never sharpened anything other than a fishing knife

my skills are improving but as all of you know there is a learning curve and each different type of wood is different go from maple, walnut , aspen , cherry, sasafrass, birch, my snow pine--- throw in some crotch pieces, and on top of the different woods doing for the first time you have finishing

ah yes finishing,, i am still scratching my head on that one

i like the way the gov phrases it CONTINING EDUCATION not torture!

:eek: :cool2: :eek:

If you are located in the western part of the U.S. look at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass Village , Colorado.
Its the equivelent of Arrowmont in the west'
Great place, Great facilities.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Most of the places mentioned are workshop schools. If you want to go to a full time woodworking school that does offer turning in the program then check out the Appalachian Center for Crafts in Smithville, Tn. You can get a certificate or you can attend classes at Tennessee Tech University along with the Craft center and get a BFA in Art.
www.tntech.edu/craftcenter

School choice

The real question is; which instructor has the best ability for you! In many cases one person has that special abilty to impart knowledge to you and your brain so that you "get it" the first time. Some instructors just do not reach into my brain very well and I have to struggle to learn. Others teach in a way that just makes it all beautifully clear the first time through. Try to see who is teaching where and what their reputation for teaching is like before you choose. You might also look at your local club for a good teacher. Every AAW club has someone who stands out as a teacher.
OTOH, its hard to beat the chow hall at Arrowmount! Phil

Website
www.mainewoodturners.org
Great Choice

The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Me is a great choice. I took a one-week course two years ago with Alan Lacer and am returning this year for one with John Jordan. They have a very impressive facility and top-notch teachers. You also get to vacation in a great location in costal Maine. You can check them out at www.woodschool.org.

Thanks for all the great input

I appreciate all the info and it will help me as I evaluate the different options.

Back