• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Schools

I am looking for any woodturning schools, courses or training programs that are recognized or accredited regionally or nationally. They do not have to be college programs but they do need to be recognized by an accrediting organization. Any help from anywhere in the country is appreciated.

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Big Dog said:
I am looking for any woodturning schools, courses or training programs that are recognized or accredited regionally or nationally. They do not have to be college programs but they do need to be recognized by an accrediting organization. Any help from anywhere in the country is appreciated.
I am sorry we are so far away.
You could come to La Truciolara and have international recognition :D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The Appalachian Center for Crafts doesn't necessarily teach woodturning by itself but you can get an awful lot of woodturning education there. The wood program is excellent with students winning national awards. The school is also part of Tennessee TEchnological University so if you wanted to go on a get a college degree along with your wood work you can.
If you want to know more I urge you to give Graham Campbell a call. He is the wood instructor.
They also have quite a few woodturning workshops each year. I'll be teaching a class on making small turned boxes in February.
http://www.tntech.edu/craftcenter/ I almost forgot to give you the URL.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi BD,

I'm not aware of any organization doing accredidation for woodturning schools specifically or for craft schools in general.

A few years ago I worked with an individual to take Woodturing classes at Maryland hall for the Creative Arts in Annapoilis. He was partially disabeled and was eligible for a job training program. The job training program would pay tuition at acredited schools.

Maryland Hall was not accredited. However the training program had a procedure to allow some non accredited training. Our major evidence to support his training was that and the Peabody Institute an accredited institution used some of the Maryland Hall classes in their summer program.

I would think that reviewing the AAW list in Jeff's note above would be a good first start. you could ask the schools if they have any accredidation.

Anderson Ranch,
Arrowmont,
Craft Supplies,
John c. campbell,
The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship

are perhaps the best know of the school and certainly have national/international reputations.

happy Turning,
Al

Back