Woodturning Smocks

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Captain Eddie, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Captain Eddie

Captain Eddie

The AAW is sharing their resource for those great woodturning smocks they sell on this website. See the President's forum for details on buying these smocks for your woodturning club.
    Thanks to AAW for sharing this great information.

2. Kenneth

Kenneth

Smocks

I really did not like the AAW smock one bit, especially the short sleeves. I purchased the traditional British smock with velcro sleeves and collar. It's warmer and keeps me clean. I was fully of shavings with the AAW smock.

3. Kenneth

Kenneth

Lovell Smock

The Lovell Smock is the standard against which all other smocks should be judged:cool2: www.toolpost.co.uk

4. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

"Breathable nylon" seems oxymoronic to me. Perhaps years in nomex has conditioned me to think all synthetics are hot in summer and cold in winter.

Not that I wear a smock, but if I did, it would have sleeves up above the elbows like the AAW version to stay away from casual contact with, and possible catches by rotating objects. It would also be hard-surface cotton to breathe, yet shed fine shavings.

5. GA Darling

GA Darling

Thanks For This

Kenneth,
    Thanks for posting about where to get the Lovell Smock. I used one during a turnning class I took. By far superior to any other smock I've tried. The problem has been finding where to buy one here in the U.S.

Thanks Again,

GA Darling

6. Barbara Gill

Barbara Gill

Home Page:
    Kenneth, that is a great looking smock but I think I would like it better without sleeves. Smocks for me present a problem. In the winter I wear a lot of cloths (old work) so I don't really need a smock. In the summer any extra piece of clothing, cotton or not, is too much. So, the synthetic smock I have works fine about 4 months out of the year. I would like to fine a more user friendly smock though.

7. jdsilwones

jdsilwones

You folks should try the Lee Valley Turner's Smock. Very nice, very usable any time of the year.

8. jffink

jffink

I've been using the Lovell smock from the ToolPost for about five years and like it. I do worry a bit about the long sleeves, but so far I've had no problems, and the velcro does keep the cuffs closed and tight at the wrists. I really like the Lovell's standup collar with the velcro closure -- it does the job of keeping shavings out of your shirt quite well. If the AAW would incorporate a similar standup collar into their smock, I'd probably order one.

Does anyone have any comments on how well the AAW smock keeps chips out at the collar? Also, do chips get caught in either the knit collar or in the mesh armpits? Doesn't that oversized body of the AAW smock present nearly as much potential of getting caught up in machinery as the Lovell's snug long sleeves? I'd be happy if a few users of the AAW smock would comment on their views of its positive and negative features.

To my mind, the ideal smock would be like the Lovell, but in a short sleeve version with velcro closures on the short sleeves.

Regards,
    John

9. jffink

jffink

Since my earlier post, I watched the Mike Mahoney sharpening video on Youtube, and he was wearing a smock that appears to satisfy my comment:

"To my mind, the ideal smock would be like the Lovell, but in a short sleeve version with velcro closures on the short sleeves. "

Guessing that he probably got it at Craft Supplies USA, I searched their site and found one; see www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Shop___Safety___Safety_Supplies___Woodturners_Smock___smocks?Args=

Anybody out there use this one?

John

10. Mike Cunningham

Mike Cunningham

Home Page:
    Hi John

Yes I've been wearing that smock for over two years and like it. I'm a fairly big guy, not quite Grumbinesque but 6'4" and 275, the XX fits fine. I have a big neck and the velcro closure works fine keeping the chips out. It zips up the front and is sealed with the neck closure. Short sleeves which I like, don't want sleeves or anything else dangling around the spinning chuck, etc. The only negative is that you can get warm wearing it, however I've yet to find a smock that doesn't create that problem. In my case it's not a problem since I stuck a 25,000 BTU AC in my shop last summer. I have worn it doing demos in the summer both in and outdoors and it's warm. Apparently it originates out of the UK, or so I've been told, based upon the fact that the zipper is on the other/wrong side. The material sheds shavings and dust and there are no nooks and crannies where it can gather.

Speaking of Grumbine, I believe Bill wears one of those black colored jobs from Packard, so perhaps you guys want to look at that as well.

I recommend the Craft Supply smock, however being a loyal AAW member I'd like to speak with some that have actually used the AAW smock and all things being equal I'd go with the AAW product.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

11. Griesbach

Griesbach

I've got the AAW smock and I'm quite satisfied with it. Perhaps a tad warm in the summer in Wisconsin but it does keep the chips out if you zip it up all the way and I've never had a chip or shaving get caught in the vented armpit area. Not really sure how that could happen anyway. I don't use the rear pockets and I think the front pocket is too big and deep. And, I do get some chips and sawdust into the pen slot of that front pocket. Can't really keep a 6" rule upright in that pocket either. Still, it's working for me.

12. Hugh

Hugh

A couple of years ago, I purchased a smock from AAW. I too did not like the fact that it was nylon and did not breath. I had a friend who was visiting who liked to sew and she took out the back of the smock and using that for a pattern on some nylon netting - sewed it back up with the netting on the back. Works just fine. Lots of air space to vent out heat in the back.
    Hugh

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK

Home Page:
    I have both a AAW (short sleeved) and Lee Valley (long sleeved) smock.
    I bought the LV first and used it for about a year and didn't like the way chips and dust stuck to the knit cuffs and collar. Even with washing it they still stuck there and the thing was gray and always looked dirty even after a good washing. It was also very hot wearing it even in the winter.

I purchased an AAW one about 3 months ago and am very happy with it so far. The only problem is as mentioned about the front pocket being too big and if you don't watch the flap it will fill with chips. I haven't noticed it being any hotter than wearing a regular shirt, Infact it's alot cooler than the LV one.

BTW : I took the LV smock and boiled it in the pot I use for boiling blanks and dyed it royal blue. Looks alot cleaner now .. :)

14. n7bsn

n7bsn

Home Page:
    Good to see you here George, we had a fun time at the Picnic

On to the subject..

Last spring Rockler put the woodturners leather apron on sale (normally $60, knocked down to $20). It is also available from a number of other outlets

This gives me something that I can wear over a shirt (of any sleeve length), or over the Turning Smock SWMBO bought me from Craft Supplies as a present, for winter time warmth

TTFN
    Ralph

15. waltben

waltben

Home Page:
    I don't know about all this stuff on smocks. I've been quite happy with my t-shirt version (sweatshirt in winter) and occasional duct tape to cover pockets when needed. I'd rather spend the money on tools and other goodies.

16. AnnHerbst

AnnHerbst

T shirt good, smock better

I used a T shirt alone or over button shirts when I started and when I was fixing my AAW smock recently.

I got the smock about 3 years ago. I liked all: the feel of the fabric, zipped up the whole way and the neck is "sealed" from chips, net under arms is cool enough for me over a T shirt in Cailf bay area summers, over another shirt is warm enough in our winters, back pockets hold my awl and reamer. I don't use the front pocket. (Note Hugh is in my "neighborhood" and found it hot.)
    I never liked the zipper that was used 3 years ago and replaced it recently.
    At Portland, I examined and saw a better zipper is being used now.

Mine is slowly wearing out and I will buy another in a few years because I like smocks. I have examined heavier smocks and did not like how hot they were except in winter. Also they felt heavy on my arms.

So if you want a smock, how heavy, etc. is one of the choices.

On the size: I believe they call them oversized to help people like me decide which size to get. I had a conversation with someone at AAW about the sizes when I was deciding to buy one and wondered what to get. The oversize description helped me to know to buy my usuall men's size (T shirts and long sleeve dress--I have long arms) rather than a size larger. I do not find it baggy, but just right the way I wear it.

Thanks Capt. Eddie for giving info out so other clubs can also do group designs and buys of smocks if we want.
    Ann

17. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

There's the problem. It's an "art" thing. You probably call yours a "shop" rather than a "studio," too. If you want to be something, you have to wear the uniform. Get yourself a smock and a ponytail, pierce for the earrings if you want, and set those prices higher!

18. Mike Cunningham

Mike Cunningham

Home Page:
    You can even get a phony color-matched pony tail...............

19. Bertie Pittman

Bertie Pittman

I turn in cold Utah in winter and hot NC in summer.

I've used the AAW smock for several years now and I like it during cool or cold weather but it's too hot for me in the summer. I have it with me but it seldom gets used. When its cold I wear it all day.

I like the short sleeves and haven't had any problem with shavings getting up them or in any other areas where they shouldn't. I like the way the neck feels and chips don't get in there when zipped up and few when not zipped all the way. I do seem to get shaving and saw dust in the front pocket even though it has a large flag.

That would be better with a velcro strip to close it and my only complaint is it is too hot for summer wear.

Bertie

20. Bob Boettcher

Bob Boettcher

Years ago I purchased a heavy nylon apron with a turtleneck collar that fastened in the back with velcro. This is cool and keeps the dust and chips off the T-shirt, and the arms are as bare as you wish.

Then I got the AAW smock at the St. Paul Symposium, blue textured nylon pullover with a half zipper, chest pocket with flap, no back pockets. The front pocket, flap or no, fills with chips. The textured fabric holds dust and always looks dirty, the pullover is a nuisance.

This summer I attended the Utah Symposium, and purchase the CA cotton smock that zips up the front, with short sleeves, high collar, and rear pockets, plus a narrow pen pocket in front. This one I love, the chips and dust brush right off.

Bob