• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning text

Hello Everyone

If you were to teach a class (Woodturning 101) at a Jr. College, or local woodworking store and could only recomend one book for beginners. The book would be used for guidlines while teaching.
What book would you recomend?

Thanks in advance
Jerry

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Mike Darlow's books - if you want to teach WHY.....

Jerry:

I would review the available books by Mike Darlow. They are more textbook-like than many other woodturning books, given that he groups concepts and techniques similar to the way I would teach them (i.e. a logical & practical pedagogy); the examples he uses and the illustrations are fairly complete. Even more important is that he explains the theory behind the cuts to allow students to understand WHY they are making them in this way, rather than just HOW the cuts are done. As a professor and college teacher for 20+ years, I think this is a very important consideration when trying to supplement hands-on learning with theory-based learning, the combination of which would enable students to become better turners overall if they actually understand what they are doing, and why they are dong it! I usually wind-up recommending Darlow's books in almost all the demos I do about using lathe tools, the geometry of woodturning, and ergonomic approaches to lathe workstation design.

Good luck!

Rob Wallace

Website
www.atwoodturning.com
woodturning books

Hi Jerry
I have been teaching and demonstrating to all age groups for around ten years and have found that Kieth Rowley's "Woodturning, a foundation course" is a very useful starting point. It gives a series of basic projects and explains everything in easy to read and follow language. I am not sure if you can get it from your local bookstore in the U.S. but I'm sure you can find it on the internet ( it is also available as a DVD ).
Alan

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Keith Rowly's book or Richard Raffen's. I have all of Mike Darlow's and I think they are too technical for students. Mike's a great guy but you ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a clock. For advanced turners who want to dig in a little deeper I highly recommend his books.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Rowley's new edition for sure

It is the only one that really explains the "laws of Woodturning" and why tools work and why catches occur. He was I believe perhaps the most experienced teacher and his text shows it. His presentation is orderly and practical. No other book is truly intended solely to teach woodturning.

IMHO there is nothing even close for your purpose and that is aimed directly at a student. The one weakness if any is clarity in using modern sharpening methods and jigs, but his methods work and are sound, even tho scattered a bit throughout the book.

Ellsworth On Woodturning

I highly recommend "Ellsworth on Woodturning" How a master creates, bowls, pots and vessels. ISBN 978-1-56523-377-5

Don Geiger

Website
www.docwks.com
A hand out for your class

As a handout and not a text book. I would incorporate Stuart Batty's 7 rules for woodturning. Basic stuff can not be covered enough.

my two cents ---

Everyone, including me, tends naturally enough to recommend whatever we ourselves found most useful in general, or whatever gave us those "ah-ha, now I get it" moments.

I want to put in a word on behalf those students whose learning modality is biased away from words and theories, and more towards sensory learning. I want to do this because I am myself such a person.

I can understand and enjoy books giving explanations and the theories behind the way we do things now, but I was unable to do that, and had zero interest in doing that, until after I began to develop some "feel" for what was going on.
Besides, some students just want to dive right in try to make something and not get bogged down (from their point of view anyway) with having to read gobs of theory. With some folks I think it's a mistake to insist that you must "know" this or that theory before you can do anything. For myself I could "understand" (in words that is) why a certain tool catches sometimes only after my hands figured out how to make it stop.

I think what really great teachers have (not me, not even remotely, but I know one when I see one) is the ability to evaluate what kind of learner they are dealing with, and modify their approach to accommodate that.

My own vote for a beginning text would be something from Raffan, for its directness, attention to safety, and lightness of approach. But that's me. Some others might do well with a more exhaustive theoretical approach right at the start, but perhaps for most folks there's much to be said for keeping it simple.

There are lots of "wrong" ways to use a tool that work beautifully, but there are also some that don't work at all and are hazardous. Raffan's pretty good at warning about the latter, but avoiding rigidity and mountains of detail in the overall approach.

The portions of Ellsworth's book that deal with the basics of why tools cut, and how to present them to the wood is very good too. Pulling those sections out of the book and using them as a handout would be a great notion. With his permission of course.

The two cents ended up being a nickel. Always does. :)

I have taught woodturning 101. Instead of a book I always recommended joining a woodturning club.

As woodturners, we have a terrific advantage to many other, learning endeavors. We have many many resources but our best resource is actually turning wood with the help of other folks.

Worst to best for woodturning instruction:

Trial and error
Internet text
Internet video
Internet forums
Books
Videos
Woodturning demos
Woodturning hands on classes
One on One instruction
Teaching woodturning

I've read Raffan, Rowley, Ellsworth, Darlow, and many others. I've learned something from all of them, but I agree that Rowley's book is the best for a beginner. It's very easy to read and has a nice simple set of "rules to turn by." Furthermore, it deals with both spindle turning and faceplate work — it's important to learn both. The first edition of Rowley's book really helped me out when I was a beginner. After that, Raffan's books are very good and quite thorough. Darlow's books have good info (though it's sometimes hard to tease it out), but the writing style is dry and sometimes not very clear (at least to me). Ellsworth's book is great if you want to turn bowls and vessels in the Ellsworth style, but I would not use it as the sole text for a beginner in a general woodturning course.

Basically, I'm throwing in a long-winded vote for Rowley.

Regards, John

Thank you Everyone

I had originaly told them Richard Raffins first book. Except for the sharpening. But I do not like the revised edition that came out in 2001. Lots of pretty pictures but less text.

I had the first book for a while. And then when the companion (VHS) video came out, things clicked for me a little better, and I refered back and fourth from book to video.
I was only turning every once in a while. Easter eggs, Christmas ornaments, handles for rocking horses, and a few spindles for chairs. Ooh! and of course Spurtles. We still use some that are more than 20 years old.

I did not know of real woodturners at the time.
I have grown greatly, mostly because of the AAW. And many many many of its members, Symposiums and Clubs.

I am going to have the students get Keith Rowley's - A foundation Course.
I will recomend to students many other books, especialy those mentioned and the articles mentioned. I will take my books and magazines for them to look through.

I will not be teaching a page by page. But what I have learned over the years. (Mostly don't be self taught) The resources that I give them will let them decide the best way that they can have fun, experiment and create.

Maybe someday I will get an advanced course from one of them.

Thansk again
Jerry

If you visual aide look at one of John Jordan's early tapes, it is very good alot of how to make the cut and alot of teaching aides. John not talks about turning but also very good pointers on lathe set up and maintance

A woodturning mentor recommended Rowley's book to me when I started. I would recommend this book. I have a dozen books and DVD's. I learn something from them all but for starting Rowley IMHO is hard to beat.

I agree

Keith Rowly's book or Richard Raffen's. I have all of Mike Darlow's and I think they are too technical for students. Mike's a great guy but you ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a clock. For advanced turners who want to dig in a little deeper I highly recommend his books.

I agree about Darlow-read him early on, and was lost.He's be more of a 400 level course rather than 101. Judy Dittmer's book is a nice easy read with great pictures for superficial getting right at turning. (grade school level maybe). Also Raffan's books. Gretch

Back